A Troubling Trend

Wizard

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is wrong. The Bills played to run out the clock. Guess what happened. The clock ran out. Mission accomplished.

Not really. They scored and the bills recovered and onside kick but there was still at least a minute and change left I think after the onside kick?

Bottom line is we were likely to win either way on our second to last possession. Personally I would have preferred to see a pass on 2nd 15 rather than a run. If the pass goes incomplete then just run it again on 3rd down. That is still a pretty good scenario where you would have had the clock moving two out three downs and you at least attempted to end the game that possession by trying to keep the chains moving.

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

I know we are 4-0, so this is a win worth celebrating.

However, the Bills have a troubling trend of not closing out games, playing to "not lose," and not going for the knockout blow on either defense or offense.

Again, we are a good team, but the Bill's farted  away the last 7 minutes with no urgency or commitment to go for the juggler.

Should have won 37-16 and played too the whistle.

Me: *Takes a sip of coffee* The poo in my bum:

It is always interesting when someone makes a rationale take and observation about the pattern of the Bill's struggling closing out games and playing too conservative. Getting better in this area is what puts us into the upper-tier. Great teams are closers. 

We are a solid team. Happy like all to be

4-0. The goal this year is to win the division, win a playoff game, and be competitive against the best in the league to become title contenders over the next 2-5 years with this group.

Let's just remain positive and also share thoughts about our shared passion.

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

I know we are 4-0, so this is a win worth celebrating.

However, the Bills have a troubling trend of not closing out games, playing to "not lose," and not going for the knockout blow on either defense or offense.

Again, we are a good team, but the Bill's farted  away the last 7 minutes with no urgency or commitment to go for the juggler.

Should have won 37-16 and played too the whistle.

Really how do you come to that conclusion?  I could see if you argued 33 points for the Bills and should have had another field goal on the one drive if JA doesn't take the dumb sack.  But anything else points either for us or against them is just nothing but a pure guess.

In the last 7 minutes they had the one drive of 3 straight running plays trying to take time off the clock which it did. Could they have thrown one short pass in there that has a high percentage of completion, yeah probably, but other than maybe changing one play wouldn't say there was anything they did that was playing not to lose.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

It’s league wide though. Goes hand in hand with bad defense. 
Browns were killing Dallas today. Pressure non stop.Until the 4th quarter.  Yet Dallas creeped back in. 

It’s a trend for a lot of teams. This season is not normal. Leave the virus stuff out of it. 
Defenses are off their games, refs are allowing more stuff to be uncalled, seems to be less emphasis on run games across the league, it’s just a weird start. 

And I really think no fans are killing the defensive also the energy they get plus the noise is bigger then we thought. Plays hand in hand. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

But is Stefon Diggs worth those picks?...🤔 i guess we’ll never know.

He seems to punt the ball well on those TD celebrations, maybe we can put him to use on special teams. 🧐

Edited by NobesBLO13
  • Haha (+1) 1

I agree with the OP -  the problem with the defense is real and concerning.  The D hasn't cost a game yet but it will if McD and Frazier don't figure something out.    The decline is hard to understand but I see at least of four things at play.

*  Some of the players we lost (e.g. Lawson) were more valuable than we/I might have given them credit for.  

*  We remained pretty healthy last year.  This season, our opponents have been targeting the backups who are pressed into duty.  

*  The productivity of our offense forces our opponents to play more aggressively when they're on offense.

*  Our D was great the last couple seasons not so much because we had athletically elite playmakers.  Instead, we played extremely well as a team.  Our players were smart, well-coached and rarely missed their assignments.  This year - without preseason or a normal offseason - our D just isn't executing as well.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Allen had a great game and I am absolutely over the moon about how he is throwing the ball this season and the great catches from the receivers... 

But...

You cant take that sack when they were on the verge of going up three scores and icing the game..

They got away with it today... wouldnt want to see them do it too often though..

That play should’ve been a draw, kick the fg and go up 3 scores (if Bass makes it).

A bit over aggressive in the play calling that series, but I’m not going to fault them for it. I’d rather see them be over aggressive at times and go for that juggler rather than play not to lose.  

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not really. They scored and the bills recovered and onside kick but there was still at least a minute and change left I think after the onside kick?

Bottom line is we were likely to win either way on our second to last possession. Personally I would have preferred to see a pass on 2nd 15 rather than a run. If the pass goes incomplete then just run it again on 3rd down. That is still a pretty good scenario where you would have had the clock moving two out three downs and you at least attempted to end the game that possession by trying to keep the chains moving.

No. If you pass, but dont get the completions and the first, the Raiders get the ball back without having to win an onside kick. 

6 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

You don't beat the Chiefs or Bellicheck teams, or the 2019 Texans this way.

Yes, you do. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Well coaches teams are no more likely to recover on an onside kick.

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands