Speculation...but I'm guessing McD was calling D in second half...

Hebert19

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

Edmunds is by far the weakest link. he needs far more time until he is ready to be leading that defense. We need to get his replacement in next season and move Edmunds to the bench to learn or move him outside. 

WHAT? You are crazy man. Edmunds may not be a top-2 linebacker in the game, but he is solid. I just think people give him too much crap. He played fine, did his job. There was a run in the third quarter where he pushed the RB back inside on a sweep or off-tackle run and it resulted in a big gain. That was the right move for Edmunds, as he ended up getting blocked by a guard but he contained the edge. It was only a big gain because no one was in position to clean up the play like someone is supposed to be.

1 hour ago, somnus00 said:

In my viewing, Klein has been a liability. He causes his teammates to make mistakes trying to compensate for his mistakes.

He's been a hugh liability.  Hopefully, Dodson get more snaps going forward...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I dunno but the non-existant pass rush in the first half really came alive with the front 4 crashing the pocket and making Carr uncomfortable for most of the second half

May be they made the necessary adjustments after half time with input from McDermott?

2 hours ago, Yav said:

I was thinking the same thing. The D was bad in the first half and much better in the second.

I feeling the losses of Shaq, Philips and Alexander has really hurt them

And those guys played together for a couple of years.  The new guys (without  a pre-season) have never played together as a unit.  I expect that to get better as the season progresses.  We are really missing Star.  Butler has not really been a good replacement.

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

seemed more creative and aggressive.   I recall he did this last year when they were slumping too. 

Just a guess. 

That would appear to be incorrect:

McDermott said that the defensive mentality changed in the second half. He credited defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier for dialing up some good defenses, too.

“The players responded. The fourth down stop was big for us as well as Q Jeff’s sack fumble and Josh’s (fumble recovery) really ignited the turnover situation there. Good to see,” McDermott said. Really proud of the defense and the way they responded with more work to do as a team."

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/10/josh-norman-lifted-bills-with-his-play-i-dont-know-if-we-win-that-game-without-him.html

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Edmunds is by far the weakest link. he needs far more time until he is ready to be leading that defense. We need to get his replacement in next season and move Edmunds to the bench to learn or move him outside. 

I think Edmunds is being asked to do things he just isn’t capable of. Too much pass coverage is my main concern. Secondary to that, he is a side to side linebacker that appears to have gained some weight and lost speed- he just looks slower. Third, his sloppy tacking and poor angles make me want to vomit but maybe his shoulder still is not right.

In my opinion, Klein, Dodson, Marlow, and Taron Johnson are the weak links- just about equal but at least Taron smacks peoples. 

Edited by billsfan_34

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This defense is a mess— it seems like it’s at every level. The secondary has been a real disappointment— I thought Tre and Poyer played really poorly today. Norman looked meh in coverage too. The LBs tend to have bad streaks against the run and haven’t covered as well. The front 4 not really generating much pressure— though I thought they were better against the run today.  

4 words - Look around the league.   

4 more words

See overall Passing stats 

10 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

seemed more creative and aggressive.   I recall he did this last year when they were slumping too. 

Just a guess. 

I doubt it. We'll see, but to me it looked like it was just being executed better.

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

I think Edmunds is being asked to do things he just isn’t capable of. Too much pass coverage is my main concern. Secondary to that, he is a side to side linebacker that appears to have gained some weight and lost speed- he just looks slower. Third, his sloppy tacking and poor angles make me want to vomit but maybe his shoulder still is not right.

In my opinion, Klein, Dodson, Marlow, and Taron Johnson are the weak links- just about equal but at least Taron smacks peoples. 

I think Taron's doing OK this season, but I also think the Bills were deeply disappointed the Pats drafted Kyle Dugger.

Edited by Thurman#1

the way the nfl is going, between scheme, talent, coaching, and the refs, there is a balance of power change.

if you go back to how the nfl was from like the late 80s to say 2010 or so, it was harder to pass and score.  it also seemed like aside from QB, the two positions that only a very few people in the nfl could play at a high level, doing everything the position was sort of counted on to do on a regular basis, was corner back and OT.  there just aren't that many people on the planet w the talent and skill and mentality to play those positions.

well, fast forward to today, it seems like either there are enough talented guys playing ol, or more likely it's a mix of that and the rules/enforcement.  but on D, it seems like not only CB is a super impossible position, but LB and S as well.  safeties have to come down and tackle the ball carrier, and LBs are required to blitz, cover, and get off block and pick the correct gap and make good tackles.  it's a rock paper scissors league, so i suspect we will see someone innovate something on D to impact Os and then you'll prolly see the o adjust again.  just like how the west coast O beat the old NFL ds, which the zone blitz murdered, etc.

9 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

He's just fine, better really, outside of the injury. It's harder to play ILB on that team with Star at home. You get blocked more.

9 hours ago, y2zipper said:

The average team is scoring 26 a game coming into this week, so our perception of what good defense looks like needs to change. Buffalo gave up 13 in the first half, gave up the FG on the first drive of the 3rd quarter then locked it down until basically garbage time.

I think they may have to disguise more. With no fans, it's easy for offenses to use the hard count to get the look at the line and change plays like in college FB.

26 is average so far? Hunh. Good post, I hadn't realized it was going that poorly for defenses.

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

May be they made the necessary adjustments after half time with input from McDermott?

And those guys played together for a couple of years.  The new guys (without  a pre-season) have never played together as a unit.  I expect that to get better as the season progresses.  We are really missing Star.  Butler has not really been a good replacement.

Not yesterday we weren't.  Jacobs averaged 3.1 yards a carry

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I doubt it. We'll see, but to me it looked like it was just being executed better.

I think Taron's doing OK this season, but I also think the Bills were deeply disappointed the Pats drafted Kyle Dugger.

Taron will stick people. Icoveraged he has been bad- doesnt get his head around. Watch the receivers eyes get big, he isnt doing that. Hopefully it gets fixed.

Edited by billsfan_34

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Go find Eric Wood’s comments in the post-game “Live” show with Maddy Glab.  He had some comments about the Bills defensive looks and how they shifted what they’re doing.

Good, he needed to step up and show he is a good coach that can make good adjustments and hopefully he calls the defense going forward instead of Fraizer. 

11 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

WHAT? You are crazy man. Edmunds may not be a top-2 linebacker in the game, but he is solid. I just think people give him too much crap. He played fine, did his job. There was a run in the third quarter where he pushed the RB back inside on a sweep or off-tackle run and it resulted in a big gain. That was the right move for Edmunds, as he ended up getting blocked by a guard but he contained the edge. It was only a big gain because no one was in position to clean up the play like someone is supposed to be.

Is that the play where the blocker pushed him out of the way and the RB followed the block?

Funny enough, last week everyone around here said that Carr was a check-down artist and that the only necessity for the defense was to keep Jacobs and the Raiders' only receiving threat (Waller) in check, given that Edwards and Ruggs were both out. The defense did exactly that as neither of those guys were big factors.

Sometimes you have to credit the opponent. For all of the jokes about Gruden, he remains a great offensive mind. And Carr played really well yesterday, completing the ball to multiple receivers and threading the needle a number of times.

That said, it is now 3 weeks in a row where the defense has allowed the opposing QB to put up nice numbers -- and to look really comfortable. The pass rush did seem to look much better in the 2nd half yesterday, so hopefully that will carry over.

12 hours ago, y2zipper said:

The average team is scoring 26 a game coming into this week, so our perception of what good defense looks like needs to change. Buffalo gave up 13 in the first half, gave up the FG on the first drive of the 3rd quarter then locked it down until basically garbage time.

I think they may have to disguise more. With no fans, it's easy for offenses to use the hard count to get the look at the line and change plays like in college FB.

This is spot on.

Edited by JackKemp

I wonder if Tremaine is banged up or just has a knack for missing tackles. I know he  puts himself  away from the play sometime but when you get a ball carrier in your grasps you got to make the play. He has got to get it ironed out. The D line has got to start getting more consistent pressure, we give way to much time to make a play. Expect this next draft to be DL, CB, LB, and OL.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Two guys that are playing really bad right now are two guys we all expected to have good years. Edmunds and White are having bad years, it almost looks like they are playing to not get injured. Edmunds just is not hitting the holes and getting TFL’s. His coverage has been below average as well.