Josh Allen - week FOUR report card

rayray808

Grade: A

Had a lapse on the 3rd down sack that knocked him out of field goal position. He could've led Diggs on that deep throw but that's splitting hairs. I don't recall any wild throws. His only incompletions were throw aways or drops. 

This is a dangerous offense because of the throws he's able to make. That throw to Brown, man, that's big time. The Twittersphere was glowing over that throw and a main takeaway from most tweets seemed to be, "There might be only five QBs in the league that try that throw and only three that make it."

After all the years of agony it's pretty incredible to see such a strong offense now. Over those lost years, it felt like the offense mustered one big time play once every five games. Now, they're cranking out big time plays five times per game! 

I also think the defense took a step forward today, at least in the second half. Before the Raiders scored their final TD, their previous four drives went like this: punt, lost fumble, punt, turnover on downs. I think they're still tinkering with their DL rotation and trying to figure out the best combination of guys to have out there. They definitely miss Lotulelei as that anchor in the middle and they probably miss Lorenzo Alexander as well. I like Tyrel Dodson a lot and think he has a bright future but he's not there yet and I think AJ Klein is a liability. I dunno, maybe give Del'Shawn Phillips a crack when he's 100%? Josh Norman is playing with a fire under his rump and hopefully that'll permeate the rest of the defense and they can start playing with that swagger they had last season. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

So, out of all 4 of his games, you think this one was better than his against Miami and the Rams?

That’s all I’m saying and explaining why 

Do we drop his grade because he didn't play as well as his other unsustainably amazing games?

I was very impressed with him. Multiple drops by receivers, he threw the ball away a few times, and he was still over 70% completion percentage. He he never really put the ball into harm's way. This was the most efficient I have seen Allen.

People need to stop pointing out the 2 or 3 "off" throws. The best QB's ever miss a few times a game. That's just how it is.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought Allen did some different things this game. A lot more dump-offs and check downs. I actually thought that showed some real growth (and I am sure he is regretting not taking the easy check down when he got sacked late to knock us out of FG range). 

he showed moments of brilliant accuracy (JB near TD, Davis and Beasley TDs), but also had some errant throws (the deep Diggs catch should have been a wide open walk into the end zone but was underthrown and became a contested catch). 

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He played like an All-Pro QB. One silly mistake. Other than that exceptional decision making.. His WRs made some amazing catches today too.

Yeah, Beasley had a couple, the one by Brown that WAS a touchdown, and a couple by Diggs.  24 for 34 and I remember 3 blatant drops.  One by Knox in the red zone and then it was cool that they ran the exact same play right after and he almost scored.  Then there were the 2 back-to-back by Beasley and Brown on crossing patterns.  Other than that they really helped their QB.

3 hours ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK ONE: B+

WEEK TWO: A+

WEEK THREE: B+

WEEK FOUR: A-

24/34 - 71% completion - 288 yards - 2 TDs passing - 1 TD rushing - 0 turnovers

He had one bad play. That's it. So for those who want to harp on the late sack he took that got us out of field goal range, here is me recognizing that yes, it was a bad play. Now let's move on to the rest of the game...

Unreal accuracy and poise shown today. The bad drops today didn't break him and cause the offense to unravel like it has done in the past. Just darts all over the field. The fastball and change up was working. Short passes. Deep passes. He had it all. The what should have been TD pass to John Brown as just amazing. The laser to Beasley was a throw not many in the league could make. There was no trickery, and broken plays needed. Josh Allen did it with his arm today.

There was a moment after he got hurt where the season flashed before my eyes. If he would have broken his collarbone I honestly have no idea where we would be as a team. Perhaps that "Plan B" is something we should start thinking about as the W's pile up?

This now marks 4 games in a row where we saw Josh Allen the passer. Josh Allen the franchise QB. Josh Allen the AFC offensive player of the month. Josh Allen... the potential MVP.

GO BILLS!

“He had 1 bad play” and you give him an A-? This shtick is getting nauseous.☠️

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I give him an A.  No need for the minus, he came back after an injury.  Nice road win against a tough team.  

With the Bills long-standing poor record on the West Coast, I had even changed my pick in the pick-em league to the Raiders.  This is a signature win.  Derek Carr May have played the best game I’ve seen him play and the Bills still won.

Looking forward, but not too far, to see how they do vs the Super Bowl teams.

A

There was an out throw to the left side mid 3rd where Josh was inaccurate low and away throwing off his back foot. The announcer commented how it was the kind of mistake Raiders had been waiting. I remember thinking, "is this the furthest Josh has made it into the game without making a mistake?" 

Somehow we've gone from maddeningly inconsistent to the model of consistency. What a time to be a Bills fan!

Edited by VW82

Another solid B performance. 

So far my grades if I remember correctly have been C, B, B, B. 

I'm saving those A's for a perfect day. This game was near perfect but that sack in the 4th that took away a fg prevented his 1st A of the season. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

24 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Another solid B performance. 

So far my grades if I remember correctly have been C, B, B, B. 

I'm saving those A's for a perfect day. This game was near perfect but that sack in the 4th that took away a fg prevented his 1st A of the season. 

Imagine being this guy and thinking like this. Crazy right? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK ONE: B+

WEEK TWO: A+

WEEK THREE: B+

WEEK FOUR: A-

24/34 - 71% completion - 288 yards - 2 TDs passing - 1 TD rushing - 0 turnovers

He had one bad play. That's it. So for those who want to harp on the late sack he took that got us out of field goal range, here is me recognizing that yes, it was a bad play. Now let's move on to the rest of the game...

Unreal accuracy and poise shown today. The bad drops today didn't break him and cause the offense to unravel like it has done in the past. Just darts all over the field. The fastball and change up was working. Short passes. Deep passes. He had it all. The what should have been TD pass to John Brown as just amazing. The laser to Beasley was a throw not many in the league could make. There was no trickery, and broken plays needed. Josh Allen did it with his arm today.

There was a moment after he got hurt where the season flashed before my eyes. If he would have broken his collarbone I honestly have no idea where we would be as a team. Perhaps that "Plan B" is something we should start thinking about as the W's pile up?

This now marks 4 games in a row where we saw Josh Allen the passer. Josh Allen the franchise QB. Josh Allen the AFC offensive player of the month. Josh Allen... the potential MVP.

GO BILLS!

This was one his most consistent performances.  Yes the sack took the Bills out of FG range but in this situation, it ultimately didn’t have and effect on the score 

A. 

Dropping a half letter grade over one mistake is ridiculous. If that's the case he should gain half letter grades for something amazing. He had a few amazing throws in every game. You also have to realize that Josh is carrying this team. The defense is Swiss cheese. This puts far more pressure on a QB to perform. 

Every QB makes mistakes every game. By your standards no one gets an A pretty much ever. 

Edited by Scott7975

I texted my buddies at the time that the throw to Brown (that should have been a TD) was one of the best passes I’ve ever seen.

It’s time for us to stop wondering if Josh will ever be a top-notch passer and start enjoying it.  He’s there, and the scary part is he will probably get even better.

• Like (+1) 2