Cam Newton tests positive for Covid, OUT Sunday v Chiefs UPDATE: Game postponed

Process
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What is the benefit here though? And why and how? All the tests go to the league. 

In a purely hypothetical crazy world?  Maybe a couple key Pats players have "day to day" injuries and could use another day or two of rest.  Or extra time for a new signing to clear the waiting period.  Or a hundred other ways a schemer like Belicheat could put an extra day to good use.  Not specifically saying being without Cam helps in any way, more theoretical conspiracies about how something like that could work to an advantage SOMEHOW.

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure whether to chance it with playing Butker this week. I picked up another kicker and playing him just in case. Right now it seems like the game is set for tomorrow at 7, but this all just seems so fluid. 

Ya gotta play another kicker I would say. All it takes is one positive tomorrow morning. 

I was big time lucky that the packs starting TE, Tonyan, was available because I have kelce rolling in my main league. So I get to hold out until Monday night to make the decision. 

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure whether to chance it with playing Butker this week. I picked up another kicker and playing him just in case. Right now it seems like the game is set for tomorrow at 7, but this all just seems so fluid. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/04/patriots-chiefs-moves-to-monday-at-7-falcons-packers-at-850/

Good to see NE/KC back on for this week.  Bottom line, unless there is a true outbreak on a team, I think the NFL train is going to roll even if there is one isolated known case.  

Also sounds like they will be exploring team isolation around week 9.  Not a true bubble but keeping guys/Staff in a hotel together and away from family/friends outside the team may be the smart way to go.  They can “compensate” the players union by shortening training camp and ditching preseason games again in 2021.

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I for one am disappointed Cam won't be playing. I was looking forward to him being exposed by that Chiefs defense. Would have rather they lost him before a game against a team they actually had a chance to beat. 

I don’t really care - just want the Pats to stack some losses for the division title.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Perfect, just in time to watch the Falcons fall apart in the 4th quarter. Pretty shocked though that ESPN's MNF contract would allow a national competing game. 1.1 billion a year these days doesn't buy you what it used to.

Late again :( 

Although quarterback Cam Newton has tested positive for the coronavirus, the New England Patriots will play the Chiefs on Monday night in Kansas City, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The game will kick off at 7:05 p.m. ET and air on CBS, sources said.

test results may alter this

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know it is set for tomorrow at 7. But the two teams still need to test again tomorrow morning . They are now subject to Gameday testing. So just feel like anything could happen there 

Yes, of course. But it is less fluid than it was a few hours ago.  If anything goes sideways now, it will have to be postponed to another week. Lots of fantasy implications.

The postponed Patriots-Chiefs Week 4 game is being planned for Monday night, pending the results of the latest tests, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Tom Pelissero report, per sources.

Monday night is the preferred rescheduled date for both teams, according to Rapoport and Pelissero.

The game was postponed on Saturday morning after Patriots quarterback Cam Newton and Chiefs practice squad QB Jordan Ta'amu both tested positive for COVID-19. Both players have been placed on the reserve/COVID list and are ruled out of the Week 4 matchup.

All of the Patriots' POC tests from Sunday morning have come back negative, Pelissero reports, per source. There have been no other positives besides Newton from the past few days, according to Pelissero, and while the team is still awaiting word from their normal daily PCR tests conducted on Sunday, they are expecting those results to come in by night's end.

The Chiefs' latest round of POC testing on Sunday morning have also come back negative, Rapoport reports, per source.

36 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I for one am disappointed Cam won't be playing. I was looking forward to him being exposed by that Chiefs defense. Would have rather they lost him before a game against a team they actually had a chance to beat. 

100% agree.  He wouldn't be able to keep up in a shootout.  He's still more legs than arm.

I'm not buying the whole "Pats skipped a rebuild" thing w/ Cam coming on.  The Raiders & Phins both handed those games away to the Pats.  Granted, that tends to happen w/ the Pats - but they have taken a big step down without Brady.

Just now, matter2003 said:

Game is moved to tomorrow...Stidham starting...definitely helps us but I doubt they would have beaten the Chiefs regardless 

Stidham!  That will be interesting.  He was getting a ton of hype in NE prior to Cam.

I hope NE gets utterly dismantled.  We haven't gotten to see that too much over the years.

The Chiefs-Patriots game -- postponed because of Cam Newton’s positive test -- has been rescheduled for 7:05 p.m. Eastern time Monday night on CBS.

Kickoff for the previously scheduled Monday night game, Atlanta vs. Green Bay, have been moved to 8:50 p.m. Eastern time.