Cam Newton tests positive for Covid, OUT Sunday v Chiefs UPDATE: Game postponed

Process
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

When can a player officially return from quarantine and be eligible to play again? Newton is the first high profile player that may miss a game. He is certainly out for a game Monday or Tuesday but could he be eligible for a game next Sunday if he tests negative the day before the game?

I've noticed that Spotrac has moved the Covid positive players off the main roster list and put them on the NFL (Non Football Injury) list.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/cap/

When this was being discussed  earlier in the year the positive players would be put on the Covid list for a minimum of 2 weeks.

I guess we will hear if that is going to be true or not very soon.

FWIW

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

Well at the beginning of TC or right before the season started (believe my timeline is correct here) I remember a few of the Bills players had quite a few false positives if I remember correctly. Are they using a different type of test now than they were then?

I don’t remember any false positives, but I do know that the testing technology has improved significantly in the past few months, and I’m pretty sure NFL’s is state of the art.

Prayers going out that no other Cheaters infected...

So that game can go on as scheduled Tues and Cheaters get absolutely annihilated

Also hoping KC has been Fromming positive practice QB Jordan Ta'amu - stay safe Mahomes!

Edited by stevewin

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think that was one specific lab that screwed the pooch. 

Thanks, yes I believe you're right. Think I remember something about particular lab now that you mention it.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don’t remember any false positives, but I do know that the testing technology has improved significantly in the past few months, and I’m pretty sure NFL’s is state of the art.

Another poster just reminded me that it was a particular lab that messed up somehow and had the false positives.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, njbuff said:

They postponed the game and say it will be made up on Monday or Tuesday.

Is Cam a false positive or something?

The incubation period is 3-5 days. Cam testing positive last night means others might test positive in the next few days. They can't risk exposing more players.

People don't understand how a test works. It's based on your viral load.  You will not test positove immediately after being exposed.  It takes days to build up enough virus in your system to test positive and also to develop symptoms. 

NFL will need to add a bye week in the near future. 

Same thing happened with MLB but they got it under control quick. 

• Like (+1) 2

Move the Super Bowl back a week or two and gave a 3 week time period between the AFC and NFC title games and the Super Bowl.

It's already 2 weeks, so it's not the end of the world. Both teams go I to the super bowl bubble Monday after the title games and stay all 3 weeks.

There must be a super bowl bubble. The NFL better plan for it now. Otherwise the game could be ruined.

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Pats have one player test pos and they move the game?

Its a travel day.  You can't put everyone on a plane together until the whole team has been tested which takes time.  

NFL games require a ton of logistics.  

Just now, Offside Number 76 said:

I doubt the announcers change 

due to travel and planning for the week 

likely that team stays in KC and works the game on Tuesday