Is Mahomes better than Josh Allen and Tre White ... now?

Thurman#1

2 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

This is shallow.

How many high profile QBs have busted? His dad? Yeah, that's a recipe for sure-fire stardom. Pedigree? More dad talk I'm assuming. Great tape - please. They all have highlight tape.

Got something against melons? Or farmers? His story is more impressive because of this. Nothing - nothing was given to him. He's worked hard to be where is today. Perhaps harder than most. Character building background as I see it.

Josh is proving all the naysayers wrong. I don't have a crystal ball, but I'm confident JA will be all we want a Buffalo Bills QB to be.

Mahomes is unquestionably the best in the biz - no doubt. You don't have to piss all over our guy to validate it.

I'm a huge Allen fan.   The poster I was responding to just implied that they were somehow equal "unknowns" coming into the NFL.

That's not true.

Mahomes was big time recruit in football and would have been an early round pick in the MLB draft out of HS if he hadn't told teams he would not sign.

He was on NFL radar from the get-go.

He just got dinged by evaluators for the system he played in and his freelance style............. but if he had gone #1 overall it wouldn't have been anymore surprising than when Baker Mayfield made the late leap to the top of the draft board.    

Mahomes laid waste to defenses in college.............there was much less shock that his arm talent and athleticism became what it did than we are seeing from astonished evaluators during Josh's hot start.   They can't ***** believe it.😆

• Like (+1) 1

Yes...Mahomes is better than Allen and Tre White right now.

He has a Super Bowl ring and an MVP award. If Josh Allen and Tre White can win a title, Allen an MVP award, and play the next 10 years comparably to how Mahomes plays, then, yes, they will be as good if not better than Mahomes.

I don't know how KC will keep that team together when they start making payments on Mahomes' HALF A BILLION dollar contract. 

Allen will get a big raise when his rookie deal runs out, or maybe before, but the Bills seem determined not to let a few crazy contracts disrupt the entire team.

30 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Yes...Mahomes is better than Allen and Tre White right now.

He has a Super Bowl ring and an MVP award. If Josh Allen and Tre White can win a title, Allen an MVP award, and play the next 10 years comparably to how Mahomes plays, then, yes, they will be as good if not better than Mahomes.

Is Mahomes better than Allen + Tre White + Tremaine Edmunds + Cordy Glenn + Stephon Gilmore + Matt Milano + Dion Dawkins + Taron Johnson + Devin Singletary?

Yeah, probably any combination of 9-10 Bills picks one can arrange.

At this moment he is probably the most individually valued player the league has seen since Jim Brown.

If Josh can keep up his level of play for a whole season we can start subtracting names from that list.

• Like (+1) 1

First.....instead of debating this......I'd like to point out how very rare this WIN-WIN trade has turned out.  KC got a superstar QB....usually when one team makes a trade and is on the side that ends up with the superstart QB...that means the other team must have lost the trade.....but that is NOT the case here.  Buffalo ultimately ended up with star CB, a franchise QB, and has accomplished EVERYTHING they could have hoped for when they made that deal.  Both teams got exactly what they wanted out of it and both teams are better for it.  It's amazing how it all turned out.

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

I don't know how KC will keep that team together when they start making payments on Mahomes' HALF A BILLION dollar contract. 

Allen will get a big raise when his rookie deal runs out, or maybe before, but the Bills seem determined not to let a few crazy contracts disrupt the entire team.

saw this nugget in the discussion....and have seen this and heard this A LOT.  .....KC has the core locked up for for the next few years as it is....and KC has drafted well...there is talent in the pipeline that is cheap and viable.  ...Buffalo will have the same challenge very soon too....and it's a WAY WAY WAY better problem/challenge than not having a franchise QB take up alot of cap space.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Thought it might be time to look again at that question.

I searched "Mahomes" and didn't see this. If it's already been asked recently, Mods, please feel free to close the thread.

But for a long time now people who aren't fans of McDermott have asked that question and assumed that the answer was an obvious no, and that blame was due this group. I know it's not clear yet that Allen will continue playing as well as he has. But at this point watching him it's very clear Josh has made major improvements and that there's a pretty good chance that he'll be a top ten QB for his career.

So what does the group think now? Did trading the Mahomes pick to KC strengthen this team? How would you rather have, Mahomes or Josh and Tre? I'm leaning towards Josh and Tre.

Can’t really say.  If we had drafted Mahomes - I have been fairly consistent that I do not believe he would be anywhere near as good as he is in KC.  

The coach and the team is an ideal fit for him and that allowed the growth and ability for him to become an MVP and Super Bowl champ.

I also Tre and Josh are good fits for Buffalo - so to me it was a win:win.

The best player of the group is Mahomes on KC - so I feel KC won the trade, but I think both teams got what they needed and it worked out.  

This argument is two parts that are entirely what you like: how much better is Mahomes than Allen and how valuable is a top flight CB? To me I think Allen and White are more valuable right now and I also doubt Mahomes is a Super Bowl Champ right in Buffalo.

Mahomes is unworldly right now.

Mahomes is a more clutch version of what Dan Marino was. Even though Dan Marino was clutch in the regular season a ton.

But we should be happy with Allen and White. Hopefully they will continue to grow and carve out a niche for themselves and the Bills the same way Mahomes has already done in KC.

I won't go through all of the reasons why, because I and many other posters have done it before. But AT THE TIME, it was the right decision for McDermott to not pick Mahomes. Anyone who says differently is either looking at it in hindsight, or maybe was hyped on Mahomes for whatever reason, but not considering the other factors involved for the Bills at the time.

And the guy who has already crowned Mahomes as the GOAT? C'mon man. Yes, Mahomes has been phenomenal and already has a ring, but you are going to crown him over Brady, Manning, Montana, Unitas, Rodgers, Favre, Marino, Brees, Elway, Kelly, Graham, Staubach, Baugh, Starr, etc. after only two seasons of play (40 games total)? For comparison, Brady has played 316 games, Manning 292 games, Brees 279 games, Montana 269 games, Marino 258 games, Elway 252 games, etc. Yes, if he keeps up this level of play for another 12-15 years and wins some more rings, it will probably be a two-man discussion between Brady and Mahomes. But, that's a long time from now.

The way I always look at this debate is that it's a win-win for both KC and Buffalo. Mahomes is great and a blast to watch and I would love to root for him if he was my team's QB. But I am actually very glad that all of the cards fell as they did, because I love the team we have now and Josh is the perfect guy for Buffalo!

6 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

First.....instead of debating this......I'd like to point out how very rare this WIN-WIN trade has turned out.  KC got a superstar QB....usually when one team makes a trade and is on the side that ends up with the superstart QB...that means the other team must have lost the trade.....but that is NOT the case here.  Buffalo ultimately ended up with star CB, a franchise QB, and has accomplished EVERYTHING they could have hoped for when they made that deal.  Both teams got exactly what they wanted out of it and both teams are better for it.  It's amazing how it all turned out.

saw this nugget in the discussion....and have seen this and heard this A LOT.  .....KC has the core locked up for for the next few years as it is....and KC has drafted well...there is talent in the pipeline that is cheap and viable.  ...Buffalo will have the same challenge very soon too....and it's a WAY WAY WAY better problem/challenge than not having a franchise QB take up alot of cap space.

Nice take

I don't know. Mahomes has an NFL MVP and a SB MVP. Allen's improvement since last Winter has been unprecedented, but it's only 3 games so far. I want to see how Josh does against the Patriots, Chiefs and Seahawks first. Let's see how well he plays in January. I am hopeful, though.

16 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Besides Mahomes, who would you trade Allen for?

a great question....that deserves its own thread

i'll frame my answer for a long term view that this would be my qb for the next 5 years....

at this point josh is headed to the pro bowl.....back up the brinks truck....he's getting 6yr / $250 mil....likely the 2nd highest paid at time of signing.

the list of who i would trade him for straight up is short....

josh's current biggest weakness....is ball security....he fumbles way too much

mahomes, wilson, rodgers.....thats it.......the fact that josh is in the top 5 is  pretty amazing 

• Like (+1) 1