Is Mahomes better than Josh Allen and Tre White ... now?

Thurman#1

Thought it might be time to look again at that question.

I searched "Mahomes" and didn't see this. If it's already been asked recently, Mods, please feel free to close the thread.

But for a long time now people who aren't fans of McDermott have asked that question and assumed that the answer was an obvious no, and that blame was due this group. I know it's not clear yet that Allen will continue playing as well as he has. But at this point watching him it's very clear Josh has made major improvements and that there's a pretty good chance that he'll be a top ten QB for his career.

So what does the group think now? Did trading the Mahomes pick to KC strengthen this team? How would you rather have, Mahomes or Josh and Tre? I'm leaning towards Josh and Tre.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was never going to blame McDermott for not picking Mahomes. It was his first time being a Head Coach and I guess he took the safe road and wasn't going to rush into making a big swing. New Head Coach has time to build a team. 

It seems obvious now that Mahomes should of been the pick, but if it was so obvious at the time he would of been gone before the Bills got the chance to draft him anyway.

We could never really know how good Mahomes would of been if the Bills selected him. People can say whatever because of what he did in KC but that was a different team at the time. 

I didn't care about the Mahomes situation. I cared about the Josh Allen situation. Not picking Mahomes is not as bad as picking Josh Allen and it being a failure. At the moment I feel good about Josh Allen. I don't have to worry about wanting to see the backup QB play in hopes he can be better.

I also think that Josh Allen can do things that maybe Mahomes can't. I dunno if Mahomes can hurdle defenders and make defenders miss like Josh Allen can. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 13

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Thought it might be time to look again at that question.

I searched "Mahomes" and didn't see this. If it's already been asked recently, Mods, please feel free to close the thread.

But for a long time now people who aren't fans of McDermott have asked that question and assumed that the answer was an obvious no, and that blame was due this group. I know it's not clear yet that Allen will continue playing as well as he has. But at this point watching him it's very clear Josh has made major improvements and that there's a pretty good chance that he'll be a top ten QB for his career.

So what does the group think now? Did trading the Mahomes pick to KC strengthen this team? How would you rather have, Mahomes or Josh and Tre? I'm leaning towards Josh and Tre.

Never seen this topic brought up.....since last week ;) and about 6-8 times per year ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lfod said:

I was never going to blame McDermott for not picking Mahomes. It was his first time being a Head Coach and I guess he took the safe road and wasn't going to rush into making a big swing. New Head Coach has time to build a team. 

It seems obvious now that Mahomes should of been the pick, but if it was so obvious at the time he would of been gone before the Bills got the chance to draft him anyway.

We could never really know how good Mahomes would of been if the Bills selected him. People can say whatever because of what he did in KC but that was a different team at the time. 

I didn't care about the Mahomes situation. I cared about the Josh Allen situation. Not picking Mahomes is not as bad as picking Josh Allen and it being a failure. At the moment I feel good about Josh Allen. I don't have to worry about wanting to see the backup QB play in hopes he can be better.

I also think that Josh Allen can do things that maybe Mahomes can't. I dunno if Mahomes can hurdle defenders and make defenders miss like Josh Allen can. 

If Mahomes was that obvious teams would have traded their next 5 #1 picks to move up to 1 to draft him

• Like (+1) 2

Mahomes is the best QB in the League.  That being said, I don't know if he has the same level of success if he gets drafted by Buffalo. He stepped into the perfect situation with a stable franchise, an innovative offensive minded coach in Andy Reid, the ability to sit behind Alex Smith and learn all year, lots of weapons around him, and a solid defense.  What would he have had in Buffalo?  The honest answer is just a defense.  Where a QB goes is probably the single biggest factor that determines their future success. It's definitely a fun "what if" to kick around but I don't think Mahomes becomes Mahomes in Buffalo. That trade is all water under the bridge at this point.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Technically, the comparison be Edmunds and White vs Mahomes in terms of trade compensation.

That being said, I am happy with what we have in JA. Not sure if we were as set at each position as the Chiefs. So not sure Mahomes woulda won a C’ship here already.

But .. Mahomes man!! He is special no doubt. Kudos to the posters here who recognized that before the draft ( I did not).

14 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Mahomes is the best QB in the League.  That being said, I don't know if he has the same level of success if he gets drafted by Buffalo. He stepped into the perfect situation with a stable franchise, an innovative offensive minded coach in Andy Reid, the ability to sit behind Alex Smith and learn all year, lots of weapons around him, and a solid defense.  What would he have had in Buffalo?  The honest answer is just a defense.  Where a QB goes is probably the single biggest factor that determines their future success. It's definitely a fun "what if" to kick around but I don't think Mahomes becomes Mahomes in Buffalo.  The Bills trading that pick is water under the bridge at this point.

This is all true, but it's worth noting that Allen was drafted by a team with just a defense and he turned out just fine.  Knowing what we know now, I suspect that if the Bills had drafted Mahomes, McDermott and Daboll would have developed him successfully.  He probably would have developed faster than Allen, considering that he was further along than Allen coming out of college.  (Not a knock on Allen obviously -- we should all be able to agree that he was the rawest QB prospect to come along in quite some time).  Of course, Mahomes would not have a SB ring, but he would have the Bills in contention just like we are now.

But like you said, this is all academic.  The Bills obviously were never drafting Mahomes, and it's weird that people keep wringing their hands over this pick.  It turned out great for both franchises. 

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Mickey said:

I don't know what makes me more sad, that you are starting a thread at 4:30 am or that I am awake to read it. 😁

Maybe the OP lives in Europe??  If so, the answer would be you for being awake to read it....

Edited by cage

josh allen cost the bills 2 extra 2nd round picks (#12, #53 & #56) to move up 5 spots to #7

edmunds cost the bills  1 extra 3rd round pick (#22 - KC pick & #65) to move up 6 spots to #16

had you drafted mahomes at #10.....there is no josh or tre......but you still have #12, #53 & #56  draft picks....you can undo the edmunds trade too if you like

mahomes and all those draft picks are still better..... by a lot

fortunately josh is closing the gap......but mahomes is arguably the best player in the league at the most important position.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Mahomes is the best to ever do it.

Isn’t it just a wee bit early to say that?  I will freely admit he’s had an unprecedented start to his career.  Not ready to hand out the GOAT hardware just yet though.

• Like (+1) 5