Gregg Williams: Defensive Shenanigans on TNF

sherpa

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the undisciplined thuggery isn't the Jets chosen method of tanking their season? The Dolphins started out last year by selling off all their best players, and installing Josh Rosen under center with less protection than he had in Arizona. Eventually, the NFL competition committee got involved. These Jets seem to be losing by utterly undisciplined coaching, and sheer thuggery. Eleven penalties for -118 yards, including six personal fouls, and giving the Broncos seven first downs, and clearly giving them the lead. Pretty crappy way to lose, but harder for the competition committee to call out.

Well, Gase wasn't with the Fins last year, so not sure if that is relevant. But Flores was NEVER tanking. They were definately rebuilding and turning over the roster, though. The idea they were throwing games was always completely ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

A leopard does not change its spots, as it were.

He is a potential law suit waiting to happen, and it will involve the league office/owners, being the owners are the league office... a quality law firm would have a field day tracing his activities, and a suddenly unemployable former player  due to wrongful injury may make a call to such a firm. Even a letter from a law firm on behalf of one or more players to the commissioner might prompt his exit from the league. One can only hope such a Letter is sent.

In most states, worker's compensation laws protect employers from many types of legal actions.  I doubt any law suit will deliver the response that most of us would like to see.  It will take internal action by the league.  In addition, the players are ultimately responsible for doing the things on the field.  It will take some fines or suspensions to get players to speak out about the type of direction that Williams is giving to his players.  A responsible owner would send Williams to the unemployment line but as we all know, the JESTS have no such owner.

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

Steve Smith comments link? Go up about 12 posts, or so. Or do you mean a link to the "hard hits"?

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Conspiracy theory seems like a leap to me to me. But I'm not familiar with how the NFL competition committee got involved in the Dolphins 'tank' last year. Never heard that one before. Did the NFL competition committee force a change of QB or improve the QB protection?

I'm not sure what Adam Gase has done

I never suggested that tanking was a Gase plan, and clearly Flores was not on board with tanking for the Dolphins. It was broadly suspected that the Miami FO was "tanking for Tua," the the NFL competition committee certainly took that seriously.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/can-the-nfl-competition-committee-stop-the-dolphins-from-tanking-jZdqkdFGYE2eGmcXQNQM-A

Be that as it may, I was just indulging in speculation. I don't know that the Jets brass are wanting to tank the season. But, would anyone be surprised?

Both these teams have serious issues.  I get it that Denver may have been upset that Gase is calling a timeouts to extend the game.  Here is the situation as I see it.  It is 4th and 18, Denver up 11 on their opponents 39 yard line with 13 secs.  They can either, A) kneel and hand the ball over, B) Punt it away and make the opponent drive the whole field in less than 10 seconds and then need another score or C) Pass and try to convert the first down.  The C) pass option is virtually worthless and if you elect to go that route it is a full on play.  Your players need to play hard and any thing can happen.   

Yes the hits were on the dirty side.  But the play call by Denver didn't help out their case in my opinion.  

This gets exacerbated by the same thing being repeated at the 8 second mark.  Why not punt?  Why not run?  Why not kneel?  Any of those options are a safer call than risking an injury or a cheap shot.

Am I missing something?

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I never suggested that tanking was a Gase plan, and clearly Flores was not on board with tanking for the Dolphins. It was broadly suspected that the Miami FO was "tanking for Tua," the the NFL competition committee certainly took that seriously.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/can-the-nfl-competition-committee-stop-the-dolphins-from-tanking-jZdqkdFGYE2eGmcXQNQM-A

Be that as it may, I was just indulging in speculation. I don't know that the Jets brass are wanting to tank the season. But, would anyone be surprised?

No, the Jets brass tanking wouldn't surprise me. But I think they're incompetent. Unless hiring Gase was a 2-3 year tank plan.

I was speaking to the Dolphins and your claim that "Eventually, the NFL competition committee got involved."  Would be interested in how they got involved. That link was a fluff piece.

For the record, I'm a firm believer that coaches and players don't tank for a better draft pick.

4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

No, the Jets brass tanking wouldn't surprise me. But I think they're incompetent. Unless hiring Gase was a 2-3 year tank plan.

I was speaking to the Dolphins and your claim that "Eventually, the NFL competition committee got involved."  Would be interested in how they got involved. That link was a fluff piece.

For the record, I'm a firm believer that coaches and players don't tank for a better draft pick.

Actually, I remembered the issue with Miami, and the competition committee from last year. So, I googled "NFL competition committee Dolphins," and there were numerous articles. I just linked that one randomly.

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

Actually, I remembered the issue with Miami, and the competition committee from last year. So, I googled "NFL competition committee Dolphins," and there were numerous articles. I just linked that one randomly.

I saw articles last year too.  Maybe just my bias that I consider tanking a BS premise when it comes to coaching and playing.

I do believe that front offices recognize that rebuilding sometimes means taking a year or two off from serious contention. In fact, I think that's what we've seen recently with the Bills.

Good times, bro. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chuck Schick said:

Aikman was throwing Gregggg all kinds of praise during the game, which was weird.

Patty Hearst threw the Siamese Liberation Army (or whatever the hell they were) all kinds of praise during those bank robberies.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, The Dean said:

Well, Gase wasn't with the Fins last year, so not sure if that is relevant. But Flores was NEVER tanking. They were definately rebuilding and turning over the roster, though. The idea they were throwing games was always completely ridiculous.

Yeah, the word "tank" doesn't belong in football. Nor should it until the day of all-guaranteed contracts for players and coaches arrives.

Yeah, GMs sometimes in a rebuild take moves that will hurt in the short run to help in the long run. But players and coaches all know that what they do is what their job performance will be judged on and that they may not be on the same team next year. There is no tanking in the NFL.

Rebuilding happens, though, and it can be very painful indeed. The Jets are clearly doing that. The Jamal Adams trade made it painfully obvious that the Jets personnel department is already there. And I'm not defending the penalties, but that was a team trying as hard as they could to win.

8 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

In most states, worker's compensation laws protect employers from many types of legal actions.  I doubt any law suit will deliver the response that most of us would like to see.  It will take internal action by the league.  In addition, the players are ultimately responsible for doing the things on the field.  It will take some fines or suspensions to get players to speak out about the type of direction that Williams is giving to his players.  A responsible owner would send Williams to the unemployment line but as we all know, the JESTS have no such owner.

But when ones employer representative  advocates/encourages such behavior that employer is then culpable. 

Edited by Don Otreply

5 Roughing the passer/Unnecessary roughness penalties seems over the top, even for 'the old days'.

They wouldn't do anything about it now, but to me, it looks like the Owners during league meetings should at least have discussions about an Aggregate penalty for any combination of:

- Roughing the passer

- Unnecessary roughness

- Unsportsmanlike conduct

You get 3 with 'normal penalty yardage', but the 4th gets the hammer -> 60 yards.  If it happened inside the 30, then 7 pts (no kick required).

The 5th gets the Sledgehammer -> Forfeit + Public Pinkbellies.

• Like (+1) 1

All you ever need to know about Greggggg Williams is found by listening to the audio they released during the bounty scandal when he talks to his defense about “killing the head.”  It really is unbelievable this ass-clown was ever permitted to work in the NFL again.

Also, look up a great 9-minute rant from Rich Eisen and his radio show this week.  I didn’t know he’s a Jests fan...it was awesome.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, sherpa said:

Has anyone else seen enough of this punk?

Last night was typical for his "coached" teams.

The NFLPA ought to send owners a statement that nobody will play for him.

He is a threat to the career of anyone on the opposing team.

At a  minimum, with the game out of hand, which his often are, some offense should run a play that ends up with a full speed tight end running over him on the sideline.

The man is disgusting, and its been going on for a long time.

Once a POS, always a POS.  Guy needs to be retired.

16 hours ago, sherpa said:

Agree or not, MLB would take care of this.

huh?

10 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

Both these teams have serious issues.  I get it that Denver may have been upset that Gase is calling a timeouts to extend the game.  Here is the situation as I see it.  It is 4th and 18, Denver up 11 on their opponents 39 yard line with 13 secs.  They can either, A) kneel and hand the ball over, B) Punt it away and make the opponent drive the whole field in less than 10 seconds and then need another score or C) Pass and try to convert the first down.  The C) pass option is virtually worthless and if you elect to go that route it is a full on play.  Your players need to play hard and any thing can happen.   

Yes the hits were on the dirty side.  But the play call by Denver didn't help out their case in my opinion.  

This gets exacerbated by the same thing being repeated at the 8 second mark.  Why not punt?  Why not run?  Why not kneel?  Any of those options are a safer call than risking an injury or a cheap shot.

Am I missing something?

just the conspiracy

16 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

A leopard does not change its spots, as it were.

He is a potential law suit waiting to happen, and it will involve the league office/owners, being the owners are the league office... a quality law firm would have a field day tracing his activities, and a suddenly unemployable former player  due to wrongful injury may make a call to such a firm. Even a letter from a law firm on behalf of one or more players to the commissioner might prompt his exit from the league. One can only hope such a Letter is sent.

Lots of quality law firms out there always looking for a field day and countless suddenly unemployable players over the decades, yet no field day has ever appeared.  

Even Bountygate yielded no such field day.  There's no legal case for what you are suggesting.  History has proven this. Player accept the risk of playing and the league has rules with known penalties for players and coaches.  

There's no letter coming...