Barnwell changes his tune. 🎺

The article is a good read and I'm glad Josh is getting the deserved praise. I do have to nitpick part of the story. Barnwell says Josh has thrown touchdowns to eight different receivers. It's actually only seven.

My brain/OCD couldn't handle failing to think of the eight he put out there. I finally checked and it's only seven. I realize I have problems. Thank you for understanding 😊

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

People here have spent years bashing and discrediting the media for criticizing Allen and unsurprisingly their credibility has been restored now that they are praising him.

This is mostly true.  Also the same people who used #FireBrianDaboll are now suggesting that the Bills block any head coaching interviews!  

IMO what pissed of so many Bills fans isn’t the projections, as much as it was how arrogant and snarky the Barnwell’s of the world were when discussing Allen.

It’s been a tough month for the haters. Bills fans have started to circulate a “Josh Allen apology form” after the quarterback’s early-season success. Whether it was the accuracy concerns or his dependance on his running ability, critics argued that Allen would never be a top tier quarterback.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/10/no-ones-going-to-sleep-on-afc-player-of-the-month-josh-allen-after-bills-qbs-record-breaking-september.html?outputType=amp

Orchard Park, N.Y. — There’s been only one player in NFL history to pass for more than 1,000 yards, throw 10 passing touchdowns and rush for at least two touchdowns through the first three games of the season: Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen this year.

The 23-year-old dual threat QB has been electric, leading the Bills' no. 2-ranked pass offense to a perfect 3-0 start and sole possession of first place in the AFC East.

9 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I love the positive picture in the media...just need to keep Josh grounded mentally...for now. 

I don’t think they’ll have to... which is one of the reasons they wanted him in the first place

Edited by CLTbills

I'm still stunned to read how these guys including our local guys evaluated Josh in his rookie year.  Anyone for that matter.  Because all rookie QBs light let alone this "project" light it up in year 1. 

Barnwell says he was a "hindrance" in 2018?

Lol ok.  You know who he was throwing to those last 6 games where he without question showed growth........Zay Jones and Robert Foster.  Seen those 2 anywhere lately?  He probably saved Zay's career and gave it another 3-5 years.  Zay Jones had almost more yards in those last 6 games of 2018 then he has in the 18 games he's played in since TOTAL.

Foster will probably never play WR on an NFL field in a regular season game again.  Look at those guys numbers those last 6 games.  Two 100 yard games for Foster and 97 in another.  Although with the mounting WR injuries in Green Bay...maybe.  

Raw rookie year Josh had absolute trash on that O including the Oline protecting him. 

Allen is more talented than Darnold, Rosen & Mayfielf. Allen has a stronger arm than Jackson. Allen is not as gifted a runner as Jackson, but he does have more finishing power to grind out tough yards when you know a QB sneak is likely coming. 

18 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I noted this elsewhere yesterday, but I just feel like the bolded concerning what he thinks Allen did or didn't mean to the team in 2018, 2019 are solidly lazy and overly simplistic takes from someone who should know better. For those of us actually watching the games, we know Allen did more to help us win 5 out of the 6 wins in 2018 than "he was a hindrance," and kept us close in a few others (Clay's last second drop against Miami which if caught would've won the game, comes to mind), to say nothing of 2019 where he didn't just "stay out of the way," rather, was instrumental to the Bills going back to the playoffs at 10-6, including wins in Dallas and Pittsburgh...or am I the one on crazy pills? 

I agree with Barnwell's take on this. Allen last year had a standard of play which didn't much help this team. Yeah, he was a positive factor in some games. Also a negative factor in others. Overall,  it was the defense that made us a good team last year.

This team has gone from 24th best offense last year to 5th best so far, with one major personnel change. And while Diggs is very good, he's not responsible for most of that leap. Allen's gigantic improvement is.

Hindrance in 2018, Stay out of the way last year and driving the success this year? Yup. Right on target, IMO.

DVOA agrees perfectly as well.

2018: passing -35.9%, running 33.3%

2019: passing -11.8%, running 6.5%

They did say this: "Allen didn't start his second season very strong either. Although the Bills started 4-1, Allen had five touchdowns but seven interceptions. His entire performance worked out to -25% DVOA, a little better than his first season but still ranking Allen among the league's worst passers.

"But that's not the Josh Allen we've seen since Buffalo's Week 6 bye. Starting in Week 7, Allen has 11 touchdowns with only one interception. He's also improved from 6.9 to 7.2 yards per attempt over the past seven games. Altogether, Allen has become an above-average quarterback since Buffalo's bye, with his 7% DVOA ranking him 16th in the league over that time."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/28231408/the-rise-josh-allen-more-nfl-players-improving-declining

Sixteenth in the league in passing last year leaving out the first five games. Just about smack-dab average among starters, not hurting but not much helping either. And while he got better after week 5, those first five games should factor in when you're talking about last year.

This year is very very clearly different.

Edited by Thurman#1

There are a few top shelf younger QBs who have recently entered the league - Mahomes, Watson, Jackson - with Allen now featuring prominently amongst them. All of these guys are unique (and generally excellent each in their own way) but the thing that has always stood out to me about Allen is his physical (albeit sometimes sporadic) dominance of the entire playing field, whether taking on DL or LBs or reaching spots with his arm in the passing game that mere mortals can only dream of doing. When he did it at Wyoming I chalked it up to the difference between studs and guys who were simply not cut out to be professional players. What amazed me was to see that same physical dominance at the next and highest level.

Things bode well for his and the Bill's future because what we are beginning to see is what happens when you add increasing refinement to his extraordinary physical attributes. It's pretty clear that his ceiling is still to be defined. He will likely continue to get better. The sky remains the limit.

I thought a poster on another team's board nailed it when he said watching Allen was like seeing Varsity playing Frosh. And we're talking NFL defences. The guy has always been pretty amazing but we are seeing it now with greater consistency. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I'm still stunned to read how these guys including our local guys evaluated Josh in his rookie year.  Anyone for that matter.  Because all rookie QBs light let alone this "project" light it up in year 1. 

Barnwell says he was a "hindrance" in 2018?

Lol ok.  You know who he was throwing to those last 6 games where he without question showed growth........Zay Jones and Robert Foster.  Seen those 2 anywhere lately?  He probably saved Zay's career and gave it another 3-5 years.  Zay Jones had almost more yards in those last 6 games of 2018 then he has in the 18 games he's played in since TOTAL.

Foster will probably never play WR on an NFL field in a regular season game again.  Look at those guys numbers those last 6 games.  Two 100 yard games for Foster and 97 in another.  Although with the mounting WR injuries in Green Bay...maybe.  

Raw rookie year Josh had absolute trash on that O including the Oline protecting him. 

It amuses me to hear people say Josh's rookie year in 2018 was bad. I saw a raw kid with absolutely zero offensive weapons and a terrible OL make plays. Jump over linebackers, dive for pylons. All these so called crow eating pundits couldn't help but pound their chests over his 52% completion rate. "See, I told you so". They stubbornly stuck to their own preconceived Wyoming opinions and ignored his athleticism and play making ability. Now on his 3rd year they're frantically trying to walk back their narrative. Never judge a book by its cover. I think as another poster said, Josh will be the prince that was promised. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/2/2020 at 10:42 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://t.co/UtjQAV4vHl?amp=1

1. ESPN analyst puts Bills playoff chances at over 80 percent

The Bills are off to a 3-0 start and while visions of playoffs already dance in the heads of Buffalo fans, ESPN's Bill Barnwell took a deeper look at each of the league's seven remaining undefeated to see which ones could sustain their hot starts to the 2020 campaign.

After taking a step forward in 2019 and improving his decision-making, he has taken an enormous stride this season. In 2018, Allen was a hindrance to the Bills' chances of winning. In 2019, he was good enough to stay out of the way. In 2020, he is driving Buffalo's success. This team would not be 3-0 without Allen playing as well as he has.

We are excited, thank God we have our QB and he is going to be great!!

• Like (+1) 1

From article today:

"I'm not sure what's crazier: the idea that Allen would be third in the MVP race after four games, or that Bills fans might realistically be able to get angry at his being only third in the MVP race after four games."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30066061/2020-nfl-quarter-season-awards-picks-mvp-rookies-year-top-coach-best-catch-more

• Awesome! (+1) 1

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/35029/bills-josh-allen-evoking-mvp-seasons-by-patrick-mahomes-lamar-jackson

Through his first four games, Allen has put up numbers comparable to those of the league's previous two MVPs -- quarterbacks Lamar Jacksonof the Baltimore Ravens (2019) and Patrick Mahomes of the Kansas City Chiefs (2018). That's the good news for Bills fans ready to coronate Allen.

His 1,326 passing yards are ahead of Jackson's and Mahomes' totals during the first four games of their MVP seasons, as is Allen's 71% completion percentage.

His 12 touchdown passes rank second among the trio.

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

On 10/3/2020 at 12:14 AM, Bangarang said:

People here have spent years bashing and discrediting the media for criticizing Allen and unsurprisingly their credibility has been restored now that they are praising him.

Heh heh. Yup.

Except the one they really hate, who are still criticized even for praising him.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 10/2/2020 at 10:57 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

those were his tales then. 

Not now.  So. Onwards and upwards!!!

As to emotions.  Who hasn’t seen Brady get pissed?

You mean like last night? Brady was in peak form screaming at his OLine after one series where they got a bunch of penalties and let him get hit like that's what they were being paid to do.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/2/2020 at 12:04 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Takes like this are mildly insulting to me and a little disingenuous. When people say "wow, Allen got really good this year" What they are really saying is "we didn't pay attention to Allen last year." Because if they did they'd know they're were signs of this Josh Allen brewing in 2019.

Yes, there were signs... but not like this. I’ve been  Pro-Allen since months before the draft...but what he’s done has clearly exceeded all my expectations. I had no idea he’d be this good...even though I knew indeed that he would be good... but not MVP talk good.. think even his biggest fans are shocked on some level..

• Like (+1) 1