Barnwell changes his tune. 🎺

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

People here have spent years bashing and discrediting the media for criticizing Allen and unsurprisingly their credibility has been restored now that they are praising him.

This has always been the case around here. Praise for the team will always be regarded higher than anything else.

54 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Coaching stability. 

we’ve needed that for sooooooo long 

That is certainly part of the equation, but there are outliers.

A stable diet of Gase is close to being proven to be bad for QB development. Just saying.

Have to have the right coaching support and retain them.

28 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

The narrative is shifting towards, "This is unprecedented", which is a sly way of saying "No One Saw This Coming!" in order to cover themselves.  Maybe it is unprecedented, but no one saw it coming?  We all beg to differ...

Exactly. A lot of these late comers want to point to this and that for why they didnt see it until now. Basically saying it wasn’t there until now. 

Its simple, their bias was blinding them to what was sitting right in front of their noses. I could see if it was just fans, obviously we’re more likely to boost our guy. But many pundits that were actually paying attention started singing Allen’s praises last season. 

So, really they have zero excuses. Just own it. You were wrong. There’s no harm in that. 

I said before that draft that if we wasted our pick on Allen I was done. Obviously it was just big talk. But after that I gave Beane the benefit of the doubt. Very early on I had changed my tune dramatically. For any open minded people watching the games it was evident that the growth from game to game was staggering. 

You saw flashes of brilliance marred by the occasional gaffe. Soon the mistakes started happening less and the good stuff was happening more often. He was growing and you could see where he was headed. 

I feel like you had to try really hard not to see it, which many, many people were doing. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wait a second.  When Allen is playing lights out, people think he is a better player than when he was a 58% passer?  No way!

allen and the offense was the weak point of the team last year.  This year, he’s the strength.  I don’t know why some of you are so sensitive about this. He is playing great, way better than he has ever shown on Any level of football.  Salute him but some of you act like it was some nation wide conspiracy to trash him.

i must disagree, well, mostly.

my beef with the pundits and stats lovers concerning allen has been that they use statistics improperly and are in complete denial about that fact. there were so many confounding variables where allen is concerned. yes, he improved more than many qbs have. but he had so much reason that he might improve, namely, he never played anywhere near an nfl level when many others had. wyoming isn't much prep for the nfl whereas other schools are. so in a sense, allen has been a few years behind comparable qbs and instead of learning in college he had to learn on the job in the NFL. now things are slowing down for him and he can play. it is not all that shocking when you look at it in context.

i don't think it was a conspiracy regarding allen. i just think the pundits used their supposed math/analysis skills to interpret data and they did it wrong (and they continue to do it wrong). the analytics crowd need some hard lessons in statistical analysis and allen has provided that in droves. in their defense, there is a tonne of poor statistics going around in this world in more important sectors than sports.

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I noted this elsewhere yesterday, but I just feel like the bolded concerning what he thinks Allen did or didn't mean to the team in 2018, 2019 are solidly lazy and overly simplistic takes from someone who should know better. For those of us actually watching the games, we know Allen did more to help us win 5 out of the 6 wins in 2018 than "he was a hindrance," and kept us close in a few others (Clay's last second drop against Miami which if caught would've won the game, comes to mind), to say nothing of 2019 where he didn't just "stay out of the way," rather, was instrumental to the Bills going back to the playoffs at 10-6, including wins in Dallas and Pittsburgh...or am I the one on crazy pills? 

Agree 100%  From the moment Allen saw the field it was obvious he was a physical talent and he showed flashes of dominance, both passing and running.  This year, the game has slowed down for him and the Bills are reaping the rewards.  Good for Josh.  He's earned it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I noted this elsewhere yesterday, but I just feel like the bolded concerning what he thinks Allen did or didn't mean to the team in 2018, 2019 are solidly lazy and overly simplistic takes from someone who should know better. For those of us actually watching the games, we know Allen did more to help us win 5 out of the 6 wins in 2018 than "he was a hindrance," and kept us close in a few others (Clay's last second drop against Miami which if caught would've won the game, comes to mind), to say nothing of 2019 where he didn't just "stay out of the way," rather, was instrumental to the Bills going back to the playoffs at 10-6, including wins in Dallas and Pittsburgh...or am I the one on crazy pills? 

NHK12, I get what you're saying.  Allen made some great plays that made victory possible several times last year.  

Yet he didn't have a lot of great games.  That's why I don't think Barnwell is entirely wrong when he says, "In 2018, Allen was a hindrance to the Bills' chances of winning. In 2019, he was good enough to stay out of the way.  In 2020, he is driving Buffalo's success."  

Yeah, it's a simplification.  But if you had to sum up Allen's career thus far in three short sentences, this isn't a bad way of doing it. 

In the end, I don't care what Barnwell or any other talking head says anyway.  I'm just enjoying Allen's progress and the victories.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Takes like this are mildly insulting to me and a little disingenuous. When people say "wow, Allen got really good this year" What they are really saying is "we didn't pay attention to Allen last year." Because if they did they'd know they're were signs of this Josh Allen brewing in 2019.

People may have been hopeful of this type of leap, but nobody was expecting a '12 TDs through 3 games' kind of leap.  

Allen has far exceeded expectations through 3 games.

And in other news, I heard Mike Sando who is known for his QB ranking tiers on one of the sports talk shows yesterday. He seemed to be treading lightly still with regards to Allen. He still had a lot of concerns about turnovers popping up down the road it sounded like. Not sure if he has come out with his updated tier yet but I'll be interested to see where he has Allen when he does release them.

10 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

People may have been hopeful of this type of leap, but nobody was expecting a '12 TDs through 3 games' kind of leap.  

Allen has far exceeded expectations through 3 games.

That is fair.  Granted it's the era we're in and at least a bit competition-based, but I can't recall a BILLS QB having this good of a 3 consecutive game stretch EVER. 

15 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

That is fair.  Granted it's the era we're in and at least a bit competition-based, but I can't recall a BILLS QB having this good of a 3 consecutive game stretch EVER. 

from the Bills Twitter feed a week ago 

People argue about his But it’s because they don’t see “rushing”

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

If Allen plays the rest of the season like the first 3 games, his improvement is most definitely unprecedented, never seen before in this league. It's rare and likely won't happen again for decades. So, I have no issue with the people who didn't think Allen would amount to much, there was no data to say otherwise. The Bills fans who thought Allen would be great are the same fans who thought Losman, EJ, Edwards & Fitz were going to be great... 

Look, if you think Edwards and Allen have ever been on the same trajectory, then I've got an oceanside property in Arizona to sell you. 

• Thank you (+1) 1