Trump, Melania Test Positive for COVID 19

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

And I have posted more than three that show masks as little more than a placebo (excepting the N95s) ... over in the COVID thread (I linked because we now have four COVID thread down here).  Feel free to go over and read. 🙂

That's a 1200 page thread. I would appreciate a link without having to search for one there. I'm genuinely asking in good faith. I want to know what evidence there is that masks do not prevent the spread of covid-19.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's a 1200 page thread. I would appreciate a link without having to search for one there. I'm genuinely asking in good faith. I want to know what evidence there is that masks do not prevent the spread of covid-19.

And I have over 10K posts down here. I genuinely do not have time to sort through my posts because you do not have time to sort through a thread.

Note: if I could just search masks, I would. Unfortunately, that thread is over 6 months old, and "masks" give a lot of returns.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I highly recommend the work that this group of scientists -- mostly mechanical engineers -- is doing.

Thank you for this post. This is what baffles me about the discussion. I can post study after study after study that shows masks stop the spread of a virus that spreads through respiratory droplets, but I shouldn't need to. It's basic physics. It's like posting a bunch of evidence that the world is round versus just looking at satellite pictures. There's a point where people are just being willfully obtuse about a basic fact.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

And I have over 10K posts down here. I genuinely do not have time to sort through my posts because you do not have time to sort through a thread.

Okay but you're the one bringing the claim. I could have showed up in this thread saying "find the evidence that masks are effective yourself" but instead I posted a bunch of sources that i found on my own. It's telling that multiple people over the last few pages have assured me the evidence is there but won't share it with me. I even tried to find some contrary evidence myself, it just isn't there.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The problem with Wikipedia as a definitive source is that anyone can edit it. The Lancet posted the findings of a study on Hydroxychloriquine a while back that didn't include zinc. They had to retract it after they were caught. 

The internet has made things worse..................................................................... and better. It is apparent here at PPP that a whole army of idiots with TDS and without any desire to actually discuss anything, has invaded the place and will continue to post nonsense ad nauseum and then demand that people who object to theirshit prove them wrong. On the other hand the internet has allowed the truly discerning people to research on their own and not rely on the mainstream media to feed us what they want. 

Hoax. 

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I can't speak for others but when I make claims I show my receipts. I have noticed an unwillingness from others to do the same over these last few pages.

Science is hard. I'm not claiming to be an expert. I'm not saying we know everything about covid-19. But if you're going to make a negative claim like "masks do not reduce the spread of covid-19" I expect some level of good sourcing.

Read over my original response to you. I clearly stated that I didn't necessarily disagree with you. To me the wearing of masks is a moot point and refusing to wear one is not a hill I want to die on. I don't even really want to debate it. It's not that ***** important.  I specifically told you that you made me laugh by criticizing Foxx's source but quoting Wikipedia and Lancet. Lancet tried to sneak a study in by initially misrepresenting it. When they were caught they had to retract its finding. Wikipedia is not a definitive source. End of conversation.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

I specifically told you that you made me laugh by criticizing Foxx's source but quoting Wikipedia and Lancet. Lancet tried to sneak a study in by initially misrepresenting it. When they were caught they had to retract its finding. Wikipedia is not a definitive source. End of conversation.

But this is the problem right here. It's easy to attack a source. It's hard to attack the information. Don't take the easy way out. It was easy for me to show that the AAPS has a history of supporting dubious scientific claims, but I went a step further and actually read the article to see where it went wrong. I didn't just criticize the source, I criticized the content.

I notice this tactic is very common nowadays. "That article was posted by CNN/Facebook/politician I don't agree with, therefore it is false." If you are going to forever distrust a long-standing scientific journal because of one retraction they made, you aren't acting in good faith.

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Hoax. 

I very much dislike you and it isn't just that we disagree on most everything. You are a pompous ass that is also very boring. You add no real insights and time after time you simply post clown responses. 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Thank you for this post. This is what baffles me about the discussion. I can post study after study after study that shows masks stop the spread of a virus that spreads through respiratory droplets, but I shouldn't need to. It's basic physics. It's like posting a bunch of evidence that the world is round versus just looking at satellite pictures. There's a point where people are just being willfully obtuse about a basic fact.

If folks would read the FAQ I linked to, I think they'd have a better understanding of what masks can and can't do.

They are not a panacea. But as the CDC Director said just a week or two ago, they are absolutely the single best thing we have to slow transmission rates until a vaccine is widely available.

So in light of about 8 months of intense experience with COVID now, these are the things I do:

- I wear a mask, always, when INDOORS with people from outside my household

- I almost never wear a mask OUTDOORS unless I'm in a crowded area or with people standing/sitting nearby, like when standing in line waiting to get into a store. I eat outdoors at restaurants all the time and I don't worry about whether every human being is 6 feet away from me. I try to never eat indoors at a restaurant unless it has large windows/garage doors that are open, even if they are capacity limited. I just don't know enough about the restaurant's HVAC system. Shops with high ceilings and people spread out don't worry me as typically they have high air exchange rates.

- I go on long cycling trips (my way of avoiding the gym) and never wear a mask on those. Any close contact I have with others is fleeting.

- I have to meet with people face-to-face in my job. I wear a mask, require that they do, and I use an air purifier unit to increase air exchange rates over what my building's HVAC system provides

- Up till now I have avoiding flying on planes. There is little or no evidence of superspreader (or even ordinary spreader) events on planes. I am considering flying again, but I will avoid sitting next to a person from outside my household, and I will not take ubers or taxis unless absolutely necessary and for very short trips. Rental cars don't bother me as long as the shuttle ride is short and not overcrowded. I stay in airbnb's instead of hotels whenever possible.

-I just don't worry about surface transmission anymore. I use hand sanitizer frequently, but other than that there's little evidence of surface transmission being a problem.

And the recent apparent superspreader event at the White House -- the ACB nomination ceremony -- kind of confirms the core advice in the FAQ about what to avoid, how to mitigate risk, and what we needn't be too concerned about.

Folks, let's please take sound advice and try to get through this. We can't reopen the economy the way we'd like to if people ignore the lessons of the last 8 months.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

FLABBERGASTED

“The roughly 100 campaign supporters who paid up to $250,000 to attend had no idea that the president had recently been exposed to the novel coronavirus and would soon test positive. One day later, New Jersey health officials are trying to locate those who attended in case anyone shook hands or snapped photos with Trump.”

Day after seeing Trump at Bedminster fundraiser, guests 'flabbergasted' to learn he was stricken

Trump has been irresponsible from the start - complete dereliction of duty.

LOCK HIM UP

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

But this is the problem right here. It's easy to attack a source. It's hard to attack the information. Don't take the easy way out. It was easy for me to show that the AAPS has a history of supporting dubious scientific claims, but I went a step further and actually read the article to see where it went wrong. I didn't just criticize the source, I criticized the content.

I notice this tactic is very common nowadays. "That article was posted by CNN/Facebook/politician I don't agree with, therefore it is false." If you are going to forever distrust a long-standing scientific journal because of one retraction they made, you aren't acting in good faith.

Damn you're obtuse. I said you made me laugh over your criticism of someone else's source while you then went ahead and quoted Wikipedia and Lancet. I didn't even say your sources were incorrect. I SIMPLY SAID YOU MADE ME LAUGH. Give it a rest. 

13 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I very much dislike you and it isn't just that we disagree on most everything. You are a pompous ass that is also very boring. You add no real insights and time after time you simply post clown responses. 

Irony.  That's what I think of you, micro man!

9 minutes ago, BillStime said:

FLABBERGASTED

“The roughly 100 campaign supporters who paid up to $250,000 to attend had no idea that the president had recently been exposed to the novel coronavirus and would soon test positive. One day later, New Jersey health officials are trying to locate those who attended in case anyone shook hands or snapped photos with Trump.”

Day after seeing Trump at Bedminster fundraiser, guests 'flabbergasted' to learn he was stricken

Trump has been irresponsible from the start - complete dereliction of duty.

LOCK HIM UP

What a bunch of a-holes.  They even treat their whale donors like trash.  Elect a clown, get a circus, I guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You lost again

Anyhow:

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I am certainly pissed (Trump "cultist" that I am :rolleyes:)- at CHINA. China who allowed this disease to spread, lied about it, got the WHO to lie about it, and did not share data or sources.

WTF do you expect the President of the United States to do? Hide in the basement? He has a country to run.

Why he was taken off HCQ + zinc pack as a preventative is a valid question. 

And if you tell me "masks" I will laugh in your face... with and without a mask. If masks worked the entire country would be open. Instead, places with tough mask laws are still closed (California, NYC, etc.)

Yes I will tell you masks and social distancing.

And the entire country isn't open because people can't seem to use common sense and do this.

That's not to say it's impossible to get sick if you do those things, but chances are exponentially reduced.

That's medical experts talking, not me.

Blame China all you want. Trump has mismanaged this Pandemic since it's reached our shores and now it's just caught up with him.

I apologize because I like you and enjoy engaging you occasionally, but yes, the fact that you can't hold this man's cavalier attitude and actions in the face of a disease that's gotten to over 7 million and killed more than 210 thousand in our country at this point, then yes, you're clearly part of the Cult-of-Trump.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Really, Wikipedia? Is that part of the Trumpian fake news network now? Come on man.

The Lancet is a two century old scientific journal. What am I missing here? I'm not up to date on the latest Trumpian talking points.

I've gotten far less interested in politics than I used to be over the last 4 years but the disinformation campaigns surrounding covid-19 are very concerning to me. I worry that more than ever we live in an age where people are unable to discern good sources. To be fair it isn't just right-wing. There are a bunch of left-wing people theorizing that Trump is faking the illness in spite of all evidence to the contrary. I can't tell if people were always this bad at separating fact from fiction or if the internet has made it worse. Certainly there are a number of political organizations driving the misinformation but at the end of the day people are eating it up.

Certainly it's possible that he's sick, and it's also possible that a person who has been documented lying over 20,000 times in 4 years, who is losing in every political poll 4 weeks before an election, is lying for the 20,001rst time, no?

When all you do is lie, project and gaslight, how the ***** do you expect to have people take you at your word all of a sudden on a Friday afternoon? What trust has he or the unscrupulous people in his administration earned?

Edited by BullBuchanan

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Certainly it's possible that he's sick, and it's also possible that a person who has been documented lying over 20,000 times in 4 years, who is losing in every political poll 4 weeks before an election, is lying for the 20,001rst time, no?

No, it is not possible that him and his physician and all of Walter Reed are faking his illness. It also doesn't make any sense even from a conspiracy theory mindset. Catching the virus right now while it spreads through his inner circle is the worst thing that could happen to his election chances.