Idk if it’s been announced but the jets will not fire Adam Gase 🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Sure getting a great quarterback doesn't guarantee turning a franchise around

But he's 10 times the quarterback Darnold and Baker Mayfield is

I saw him as a senior in high school, and he was by far the best 18-year-old quarterback I've ever seen after scouting for 30 years. 

If he would have been draft eligible somebody would have taken him

I’m no expert but I never considered baker to have any shot of being elite. Even after his first season he broke the rookie touchdown record. I can see the Jets getting #1, hiring bienemy from KC and people going nuts they’ll be the next powerhouse. But I can see other teams like Detroit or Denver sneaking up there too. 

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Good for you that you don't believe the Lawrence hype. I've been watching football for 45 years and he is the beat WB prosepect I've witnessed.

I just hope the Jets win a few and miss out on him.

He is the real deal. Give him some weapons and he is going to be a force in the NFL.

It is all about staying healthy in the NFL too, I have seen some great natural talents flame out due to early injuries and off-field issues. Handling the big money and spotlight of the NFL affects different players different ways. Some do well, some not-so-much, but Lawrence is kind of the anti-Allen. This is a guy that has been groomed to play QB and as such he should have a shorter learning curve.

Lawrence is a big dude at 6-6 220 and has some wheels too - had over 400 yards rushing last year on 77 attempts last year so he can run to the sticks to extend drives. He has that ability to keep his eyes downfield and slide around the pocket to create space, buy time, and drop dimes all over the field. Would prefer he end up in some other division rather than on a team we would play twice, but no sense worrying about that and the NFL is shaping up to be pretty entertaining with the play of their recent crop of QBs and the elite vets that are stepping up.

Who knows, if the jets do have the first pick and are targeting Lawrence he may just opt to stay in Clemson another year.... I would not blame him, but he has been on record before saying he would like to leave school early for the NFL.

45 minutes ago, Beast said:

Good for you that you don't believe the Lawrence hype. I've been watching football for 45 years and he is the best QB prosepect I've witnessed.

Dont get me wrong I think Lawrence is good, but did you watch the National Championship game last year? LSU made him look so average. My only fear would be that he lit up a terrible ACC conference for years looking great, but in reality is just a mediocre QB against top competition. I think hes somewhere in between. Def not the best QB prospect ever. If he decided to came out last year Burrow is still #1 pick.

Just now, badassgixxer05 said:

Dont get me wrong I think Lawrence is good, but did you watch the National Championship game last year? LSU made him look so average. My only fear would be that he lit up a terrible ACC conference for years looking great, but in reality is just a mediocre QB against top competition. I think hes somewhere in between. Def not the best QB prospect ever. If he decided to came out last year Burrow is still #1 pick.

I also watched him shred my Tide the year prior.

And, no way in heck is Burrow ever taken over Lawrence. No way.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

I also watched him shred my Tide the year prior.

Thats why im somewhere in between on him. Hes shown moments of greatness.

Im a ND fan and looking forward to that matchup, pending no covid shutdown.

Edited by badassgixxer05

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

I agree. It’ll take more than a QB/HC combo, I just don’t see how Daboll could decline that position if Trevor Lawrence is there.  It might not work out for the Jets, but it would surely hurt us. 

Eric Bieniemy will be a hot candidate as well, but a smart guy would take the Lions job if it becomes available. (Stafford/Golladady/Hockenson/Jones/Amendola)

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I just look at Pierre Desir, Alex Lewis, Connor McGovern, Frank Gore, George Fant, and Breshad Perriman and think if I was the owner and realized I was paying out close to $70 million dollars or those players I'd fire Joe Douglas immediately.  He has done an awful job.

Maybe they're looking at it as paying $70 million for the 2021 #1 pick?

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Poor Sam!  He did try.  He's putting it all out there - playing with an injured shoulder injected with numbing and pain-control medicine, trying to provide a "spark" by running for a TD, scrambling, getting the ***** beaten out of him by holding the ball too long trying to find something.

He's still not nearly the level of Trentative Edwards but he read 275milliTrents or so on the "defeated looking presser" scale last night.  He said he "loves Adam" so he's probably developing Stockholm syndrome as well, poor guy.

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Eric Bieniemy will be a hot candidate as well, but a smart guy would take the Lions job if it becomes available. (Stafford/Golladady/Hockenson/Jones/Amendola)

Idk.  Getting the chance to coach Lawrence might be > the lions and a 32 year old stafford.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I agree with the proper ownership being necessary, that’s why Daboll would end up failing in the jets organization even with Lawrence, it’s the same reason ya don’t sign on with Snyder... Jmo. 

Exactly.  IIRC, the Steelers turned from perennial doormat to perennial contender back in the late 1960s when Dan Rooney took over control of the team from his father-- and that was a decade or more before free agency and the salary cap and building a good team was a lot harder.  Conversely, the Washington team has pretty much been trash since Snyder took over.   Infamously, Robert Kraft bought the Patriots, acquired Bill Belichick as HC and chief personnel guy, and let him do his thing for 20+ years.  That worked out pretty well.

An owner needs to be committed to winning but recognize that he's not a football expert and cede the major decisions over to a GM/HC who knows what he's doing.  The owner's job is to find the best football guy to build a team -- and not be afraid of sending that guy packing if he turns out not to be the right guy -- like Jimmy Haslem did to John Dorsey in Cleveland.

I think Pegula's experience with Rex Ryan made him realize that he wasn't up to running an NFL team, so it easy for him to give Beane full control of the team after he fired Brandon, which turned out to be a great move for the Bills and their fans going forward.  Sometimes it's just plain better to be lucky than good.

Edited by SoTier

26 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Exactly.  IIRC, the Steelers turned from perennial doormat to perennial contender back in the late 1960s when Dan Rooney took over control of the team from his father-- and that was a decade or more before free agency and the salary cap and building a good team was a lot harder.  Conversely, the Washington team has pretty much been trash since Snyder took over.   Infamously, Robert Kraft bought the Patriots, acquired Bill Belichick as HC and chief personnel guy, and let him do his thing for 20+ years.  That worked out pretty well.

An owner needs to be committed to winning but recognize that he's not a football expert and cede the major decisions over to a GM/HC who knows what he's doing.  The owner's job is to find the best football guy to build a team -- and not be afraid of sending that guy packing if he turns out not to be the right guy -- like Jimmy Haslem did to John Dorsey in Cleveland.

I think Pegula's experience with Rex Ryan made him realize that he wasn't up to running an NFL team, so it easy for him to give Beane full control of the team after he fired Brandon, which turned out to be a great move for the Bills and their fans going forward.  Sometimes it's just plain better to be lucky than good.

I hear ya, But I would also say Pegula learned, and that made his decision an easier one to get right this time around, and the results of his decision are pretty darn evident, at least at this point. Pegula didn’t become a Billionaire because he was unable to learn. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

I hear ya, But I would also say Pegula learned, and that made his decision an easier one to get right this time around, and the results of his decision are pretty darn evident, at least at this point. Pegula didn’t become a Billionaire because he was unable to learn. 

My reference was to being "lucky" was about the original hiring of Beane as GM in 2017 after Whaley was fired.   Beane's resume didn't really suggest that he'd be as astute at team building as he's been.   His background as assistant GM in Carolina was mostly involving personnel and logistics, yet he and the people who answer to him have proven to have good eyes for talent.  That suggests that Beane's real strength is finding good people -- like scouts, coaches, etc -- and letting them do their thing but it wouldn't necessarily be a talent that would necessarily stand out from the experience he'd had before he became the Bills GM.