Who else collects sports cards?

Brennan Huff

I recently got back into it.  During the shut down I got into a few Card Collecting Games like OOTP baseball and MLB The Show.  It got me into the itch to get some real cards and that is what I did.

I have participated in a lot of breaks.  Have gotten a few really good cards in the process and even an Autographed Eric Hinske ROY 2002 Blue Jays jersey.  There are breaks of all varieties from low-end product, to high end stuff and even memorabilia.

I actually dont mind that people are buying stores out of everything to break it.  Breaks are a great way to claim 1 team at a much cheaper price than a box would cost, but also get the cards from a variety of products.  Some have cards for multiple sports.  

I really like how the card hobby is.  It is overwhelming and people are turned off by the variety... but that is something that I consider a positive.  There are cards (valuable ones) that I think are ugly as hell and wont go near.  There are other sets that I think are gorgeous.  They release cards modeled after old Topps cards which look great.  This year, in their main card set they did the 35th anniversary insert set of 1985.

s-l300.jpg

They also have a heritage set and an archives set that mimic older card sets.

91TJBT3CFtL._AC_SY445_.jpg

2020-Topps-Archives-Baseball-Variations-

I got this Henke this year

$_12.JPG

I also really like how autographs and relics are worked in now, and even lots of past and historical players.  

The Topps Stadium Club cards are also fantasic looking

2020-Topps-Stadium-Club-Baseball-112-Bo-

Page-2-Image-8-1.jpg

I came on like gangbusters and really spent too much money.  It really tickles the gambling gene, so its easy to blow through some cash if you dont set limits.  

I have a pretty cool start to a collection.  I want to try to focus it more on some themes though for my personal collection.  Don't know what yet.  All Shortstops or something.  I also want to dip more into pre-1975 cards where I can for my collection. I would like to dip a toe in football and hockey as well

As far as anything between like 1983 - 1994.  It is worth almost nothing outside of a few Griffeys and if you have certain top-notch "Tiffany" cards

https://www.beckett.com/news/how-to-identify-topps-tiffany-baseball-cards-using-the-star-method/

Someone in one of my facebook groups is raffling this off right now.  10 spots for $6.50 each spot 

121054026_5226346517391479_4659242151390

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I recently got back into it.  During the shut down I got into a few Card Collecting Games like OOTP baseball and MLB The Show.  It got me into the itch to get some real cards and that is what I did.

I have participated in a lot of breaks.  Have gotten a few really good cards in the process and even an Autographed Eric Hinske ROY 2002 Blue Jays jersey.  There are breaks of all varieties from low-end product, to high end stuff and even memorabilia.

I actually dont mind that people are buying stores out of everything to break it.  Breaks are a great way to claim 1 team at a much cheaper price than a box would cost, but also get the cards from a variety of products.  Some have cards for multiple sports.  

I really like how the card hobby is.  It is overwhelming and people are turned off by the variety... but that is something that I consider a positive.  There are cards (valuable ones) that I think are ugly as hell and wont go near.  There are other sets that I think are gorgeous.  They release cards modeled after old Topps cards which look great.  This year, in their main card set they did the 35th anniversary insert set of 1985.

s-l300.jpg

They also have a heritage set and an archives set that mimic older card sets.

91TJBT3CFtL._AC_SY445_.jpg

2020-Topps-Archives-Baseball-Variations-

I got this Henke this year

$_12.JPG

I also really like how autographs and relics are worked in now, and even lots of past and historical players.  

The Topps Stadium Club cards are also fantasic looking

2020-Topps-Stadium-Club-Baseball-112-Bo-

Page-2-Image-8-1.jpg

I came on like gangbusters and really spent too much money.  It really tickles the gambling gene, so its easy to blow through some cash if you dont set limits.  

I have a pretty cool start to a collection.  I want to try to focus it more on some themes though for my personal collection.  Don't know what yet.  All Shortstops or something.  I also want to dip more into pre-1975 cards where I can for my collection. I would like to dip a toe in football and hockey as well

As far as anything between like 1983 - 1994.  It is worth almost nothing outside of a few Griffeys and if you have certain top-notch "Tiffany" cards

https://www.beckett.com/news/how-to-identify-topps-tiffany-baseball-cards-using-the-star-method/

Someone in one of my facebook groups is raffling this off right now.  10 spots for $6.50 each spot 

121054026_5226346517391479_4659242151390

What is the Facebook group?

I collected them when I was younger.  It was used as a motivation for me on my report card because my parents would get so many packs for however many As I got.

Mid 90s I stopped and threw out most of my collection 

Any Better Call Saul fans would appreciate this character and his baseball cards 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I collected them when I was younger.  It was used as a motivation for me on my report card because my parents would get so many packs for however many As I got.

Any Better Call Saul fans would appreciate this character and his baseball cards 

Coincidentally, the actor (Mark Proksch) playing the card collector also plays Colin Robinson, the "energy sucking vampire" on "What We Do in the Shadows".  It is one of the funniest things on tv right now...and he is fantastic!

21 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Sometimes when I think of my baseball cards I feel shame and embarrassment because of this guy.

I did selling everything I owned on eBay now. Sold all my cards for the mid 60’s on eBay. 

All my mantle and mays cards sold.near mint to excellent 

On 10/1/2020 at 10:02 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

How's Bases Loaded on French Rd doing?

Use to go Dave and Adams before they got huge back in the early 90’s. I heard baseloaded guy worked at the PO

Edited by Helpmenow

So back during the Legend of Kiko days I bought a lot (maybe 50) of his Topps rookie cards. None of the more valuable ones just the plain white border ones. I would buy 5-6 card lots for a couple bucks on ebay so it wasn't a lot of money spent. The plan was to buy way more and destroy all but 1 or 2 to kind of artificially inflate the value by making them rarer. Pretty stupid idea looking back (maybe good idea bad card choice/execution) so now they're just sitting even more worthless.

That said I was really into collecting for a while. I got into buying really old cards like early 1900 baseball cards just because the antique-ness was cool to me. If I had the spare money it's something i'd get back into. One day I will own a Babe Ruth.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Today I went to Walmart to get some groceries for Thanksgiving. Now mind you I’ve been going to my local Walmart at least once a week for the last 3 months to look for cards and it’s always completely wiped out. Well today when I went there was a group of dudes hovering by the card area. The distributor was there stocking the shelves and my heart skipped a beat. It was like I saw a freaking unicorn. I waited there an hour and a half to wait for her to be finished. These guys had shopping carts and filled them up with cards. I mean thousands of dollars of cards. I was able to get 6 blaster boxes of NFL Illusions. I guarantee it’s completely wiped out again, but I was literally shaking with excitement that I was finally able to score some stuff 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, OZBILLS said:

Can't afford to buy these anymore.

Ridiculous. The market is messed up

The market is insane right now. These guys are taking these 20 dollar boxes and flipping them for 80 bucks a piece. Until people stop buying them at that price it’s going to stay that way for awhile

5 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

The market is insane right now. These guys are taking these 20 dollar boxes and flipping them for 80 bucks a piece. Until people stop buying them at that price it’s going to stay that way for awhile

I am spewing that I didn't buy more when I was in NY last year.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

I keep thinking that I should have bought more. But I don’t want to be like these other guys. I’m not a flipper. I enjoy the hobby. I do sell cards on eBay but I’m more of a collector

Did you get anything decent?

*****, I should put an order in ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.