Who else collects sports cards?

Brennan Huff

2 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

The market right now is insane. Walmart’s shelves are always empty. Went to one of the Walmart’s on transit this morning and there were 6 dudes there waiting for them to bring out cards. Been this way for months. Any one have any inside info?

I'm curious about this.  The card industry has been dead for years.  

31 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Ive never seen anything like it. People are buying them up as soon as they hit shelves and flipping them online for 4x the price

They say things things are very cyclical but the card industry was never something I saw making a comeback.  I would be happy for the younger generation if this is the case..I have a lot of good memories from my sports card collecting days.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Wait, are the old cards worth anything again? I have quite the collection that my parents are nice enough to keep in their basement.  Was looking through them a little bit and I found like 12 Ken Griffey Jr rookie cards.  Looked them up on EBay and they were going for like $4.50 😂

WOW! It must be be a great feeling to know you have retirement covered already! Congrats! 

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

They say things things are very cyclical but the card industry was never something I saw making a comeback.  I would be happy for the younger generation if this is the case..I have a lot of good memories from my sports card collecting days.

It’s bigger than it ever was before. But they’re not overly mass produced like they were when I was a kid. Look on eBay there are Josh Allen cards pulling in 5 figures

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Wait, are the old cards worth anything again? I have quite the collection that my parents are nice enough to keep in their basement.  Was looking through them a little bit and I found like 12 Ken Griffey Jr rookie cards.  Looked them up on EBay and they were going for like $4.50 😂

No sorry they’re probably not worth anything. It’s a whole new ball game now

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I remember trading my '89 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. rookie card fora pair of Gullwing skateboard trucks, and Slimeball wheels with Powell Swiss bearings roughly 27 years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I got back into it a few years ago.  Spent way too much money on them, put a nice collection together and ended up selling everything for 100 dollars.   Its a fun hobby, and there are a lot of good card shows around here.     Just not worth the amount of money it takes to keep it up. 

It’s definitely an expensive hobby. I spent 200 bucks on a box of cards today. Didn’t hit anything big but that’s the chance you take. Looking for that joe burrow 1/1 auto

What you saw are people who are doing card breaks on-line

They buy all the boxes and then try to sell slots for one card in an auction style break. Where $5 or $10 get you one card in the pack

With all the amounts of money that is getting spent and people not getting those crazy good cards, I imagine it will die out again

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

What you saw are people who are doing card breaks on-line

They buy all the boxes and then try to sell slots for one card in an auction style break. Where $5 or $10 get you one card in the pack

With all the amounts of money that is getting spent and people not getting those crazy good cards, I imagine it will die out again

I see those but those are more for the real high end boxes. What I see a lot of are blaster boxes of Mosaics that go for 19.99 a box at Target. People are buying every box on the shelf and then flipping them online for 80 bucks a box

7 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

It’s definitely an expensive hobby. I spent 200 bucks on a box of cards today. Didn’t hit anything big but that’s the chance you take. Looking for that joe burrow 1/1 auto

It's something I did as a Father-Son thing with my Dad back in the early 90's.   I have two sons now, and my oldest is very much into football.  So I decided to start up the tradition again.   I took him to Dave and Adams, bought three boxes just before the draft in 2019, which if I remember correctly put my bank account back 400 dollars. 

Long story short we got lucky and hit a Kyler Murray/Lincoln Riley College Ties Dual Auto #1/5 in the second pack of the first box.   Given the amount of money I spent I decided to sell it just after the draft and ended up getting most of my money back on the one card.   I figured if Murray stunk it would be the most money I'd ever get out of it and my son would still have all the rookies, game used, and autos from the other boxes.  On top of it we would still have the memory of opening the box together and finding the card.

The problem with box breaks is they are like scratch offs, my brother loves those things but he is constantly chasing the one time it actually paid off for him.  Otherwise you're just sinking tons of money into it and not getting a return on investment.   Pretty soon after the first box break I found out about the card shows people were putting together around Buffalo.   I started taking my son to those, along with my brother in law and nephews.   It just makes more sense financially, and we can still have a boys day and not feel bad about getting lunch too.  Sadly COVID has kind of put the end to that for awhile.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It's something I did as a Father-Son thing with my Dad back in the early 90's.   I have two sons now, and my oldest is very much into football.  So I decided to start up the tradition again.   I took him to Dave and Adams, bought three boxes just before the draft in 2019, which if I remember correctly put my bank account back 400 dollars. 

Long story short we got lucky and hit a Kyler Murray/Lincoln Riley College Ties Dual Auto #1/5 in the second pack of the first box.   Given the amount of money I spent I decided to sell it just after the draft and ended up getting most of my money back on the one card.   I figured if Murray stunk it would be the most money I'd ever get out of it and my son would still have all the rookies, game used, and autos from the other boxes.  On top of it we would still have the memory of opening the box together and finding the card.

The problem with box breaks is they are like scratch offs, my brother loves those things but he is constantly chasing the one time it actually paid off for him.  Otherwise you're just sinking tons of money into it and not getting a return on investment.   Pretty soon after the first box break I found out about the card shows people were putting together around Buffalo.   I started taking my son to those, along with my brother in law and nephews.   It just makes more sense financially, and we can still have a boys day and not feel bad about getting lunch too.  Sadly COVID has kind of put the end to that for awhile.

I’ve done a couple box breaks and I’ve never hit anything good. I love Dave and Adams though. They always have great deals. Right now singles are 50% off. I got a couple nice Allen’s and Eichels for cheap. I also picked up a game used Stevie Johnson signed cleat for 75 bucks. You can really get carried away in that store

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.