Are we still a 9-7 team?

To clarify my own thread, the point was that we defintiely ARE NOT a 9-7 team.

Even after last nights turd, I still think we are 11-5.

The swing of emotions and hot takes around here this morning is ridiculous (although not surprising after 15 years on the board).

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

To clarify my own thread, the point was that we defintiely ARE NOT a 9-7 team.

Even after last nights turd, I still think we are 11-5.

The swing of emotions and hot takes around here this morning is ridiculous (although not surprising after 15 years on the board).

Agreed. I am really upset with the defense but reasonably if the offense is humming 4 good games out of 5 at a time and the defense can literally force a few punts each game they are a 10-11 wins. The upsetting piece I guess is if the defense could just be middle of the road they could win 12-13 games, but the issues they have don't seem the type that are super fixable in season.

Edited by corta765

Just now, corta765 said:

Agreed. I am really upset with the defense but reasonably if the offense is humming 4 good games out of 5 and the defense can literally force a few punts each game they are a 10-11 wins. The upsetting piece I guess is if the defense could just be middle of the road they could win 12-13 games, but the issues they have don't seem the type that are super fixable in season.

Id argue the main issues last night was missing Milano and White. If even White plays, the game goes totally differently with him on Brown all night.

That issue is completely fixable in just patiently waiting for both to return from injury next week.

The other major issue was coming in flat and slow. That's on coaching and can be fixed. We've seen them play hyped before. They are capable of it.

Just an off week. On to Kansas City.

(There are definitely other issues that need to be addressed over time. Just saying, these were the two biggest last night, imo. And both of them can/will be fixed)

Chargers are not going be an easy W with Hebert(?) their rookie QB he has played well enough to have one all but one of his games..  eh at I have HEARD here is that Buffalo has no pass rush.. you give this kid all day he will shred ANY defense.  As someone else pointed out there is no easy W.. I would expect a hard fought game again from Miami and from the Jets.. division games are always harder no matter how bad their record says they are. 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Id argue the main issues last night was missing Milano and White. If even White plays, the game goes totally differently with him on Brown all night.

That issue is completely fixable in just patiently waiting for both to return from injury next week.

The other major issue was coming in flat and slow. That's on coaching and can be fixed. We've seen them play hyped before. They are capable of it.

(There are definitely other issues that need to be addressed over time. Just saying, these were the two biggest last night, imo. And both of them can/will be fixed)

turned the ball over 3 times, tons of drops, penalties and field position problems all night. The defense was bad, but this was a total team loss. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

turned the ball over 3 times, tons of drops, penalties and field position problems all night. The defense was bad, but this was a total team loss. 

Oh absolutely. Total team loss in all 3 phases, plus coaching, and even Strength&Conditioning (why were we winded the entire game?)

I was just talking about the issues on Defense.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh absolutely. Total team loss in all 3 phases, plus coaching, and even Strength&Conditioning (why were we winded the entire game?)

I was just talking about the issues on Defense.

I noticed it too... even offensive player just looked tired.  I think part of it is playing a more physical opponent 

Buffalo defense 21st on points allowed, 17th in yards allowed after this last game. Now 11th on points scored, 5th in yards.

The Bills defense is bad, really bad.

No pass rush, can't stop the run and its going to get much worse as the Bills face the Chiefs, Jets, Patriots, Seahawks, Cardinals, Bye week. Chargers, 49ers, Steelers, Broncos, Patriots, Dolphins. 

Then, not having a decent running attack bit the Bills big time as Singletary was held to 2.3 yards per carry. The Bills only attempted 22 rushes all game vs 41 pass attempts.

Looked like the Titans took the Raiders game plan against the Chiefs and dropped into coverage and gave Allen plenty of time in the pocket... The Bills didn't even go to Beasley until the second half and he caught 6 of 6. Digs caught 10 of 16 for 106 yards. Meanwhile TJ Yeldon seemed to have a hot hand at RB with 7 rushes for 52 yards a 7.4 YPC avg although he did have a break away for 53 yards on one run. 

The offense couldn't carry this game and the defense didn't even show up!

This isn't about W or L. It is the way we got the L. If it happens again against the Chiefs I will rework my 11 win prediction from last week. Trying not to be knee jerk about this game, even though it is hard.

I would be surprised if this is a 7-8 win team still at the moment. Another terrible performance and I will probably re-adjust to 9 or 10. If we can play well against the Chiefs, win or lose, and get a W against the Jets and Pats, 11 wins is still on the table. 

9 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Buffalo defense 21st on points allowed, 17th in yards allowed after this last game. Now 11th on points scored, 5th in yards.

The Bills defense is bad, really bad.

No pass rush, can't stop the run and its going to get much worse as the Bills face the Chiefs, Jets, Patriots, Seahawks, Cardinals, Bye week. Chargers, 49ers, Steelers, Broncos, Patriots, Dolphins. 

Then, not having a decent running attack bit the Bills big time as Singletary was held to 2.3 yards per carry. The Bills only attempted 22 rushes all game vs 41 pass attempts.

Looked like the Titans took the Raiders game plan against the Chiefs and dropped into coverage and gave Allen plenty of time in the pocket... The Bills didn't even go to Beasley until the second half and he caught 6 of 6. Digs caught 10 of 16 for 106 yards. Meanwhile TJ Yeldon seemed to have a hot hand at RB with 7 rushes for 52 yards a 7.4 YPC avg although he did have a break away for 53 yards on one run

The offense couldn't carry this game and the defense didn't even show up!

Are those numbers correct?  One 53 yard run and 7 for a total of 52 yards? So one on run with under 1 minute  in the game with the game already lost got 53 but the other 6 he netted a one yard loss?  Frankly not very impressive given those numbers.

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Are those numbers correct?  One 53 yard run and 7 for a total of 52 yards? So one on run with under 1 minute  in the game with the game already lost got 53 but the other 6 he netted a one yard loss?  Frankly not very impressive given those numbers.

His long run was 34 yards. His other rushes were all dives to pick up 1st downs on short yardage plays.

IMO, Yeldon was one of the few players to actually do his job last night.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:16 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I've said all along 10 to 12 wins 

SSSF:

Im with you and sticking to my guns.  11-5.  God athletes are used to a bad loss and then turn it around.  We had wounded warriors.  Some have agendas on this board trying to pile on.  How about we act like ex athletes, and move on, play next week, and not think the sky is falling just like we are not god before last night.

Seattle looks great on offense, but horrible on defense.  I can keep going on other top teams that have flaws, but this is freaking out mode.  Many are not in that mindset, and there are s9me who are encouraging it, on purpose or they have never played sports at a high level so they don’t know.  We had a bad game.  The sky is not falling.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:05 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Most preseason predictions, along with Las Vegas, had us as a 9-win team. A fair and reasonable prediction given our schedule and the questions at QB. While it seems the QB questions have been answered, I'd say that Josh's development has been "balanced" by some Defensive regression to keep us about equal to where we were starting. With that said...

We are currently 3-0.

That means, if you believe 9-7 is still a likely outcome with this schedule, we are looking at going 6-7 the rest of the way (yikes).

I see 2 more wins coming from the Dolphins and Jets, and expect to split with the Pats. So that leaves 3 other wins.

Broncos and Chargers are probably the rest of the "obvious" wins. Leaving only 1 more win out of Raiders, Titans, Chiefs, Seahawks, Cardinals, 49ers, and Steelers.

I'd have to think we can get a win from one of those better teams*. But could also see us dropping a stinker against the Broncos or something (sorry, BBFS).

So sitting at 3-0, and getting a head start on our record, how do YOU see the rest of the season playing out? Can we get to 10-6? Are we mentally prepared to go 6-7 the rest of the way?

edit to clarify: When I say "those better teams", I mean that as "the better teams on our schedule", not "teams that are better than us". I also believe we can certainly beat more than 1 of them.

Just crazy to think that with this good start, we could be looking at 10-11 wins even with a tough schedule. Also steeling myself to understand that even if we do go 6-7 the rest of the way, we still have a good shot at the division since I dont see the Pats being much better.

I think 9-7 or 10-6 is a very realistic possibility.  But sadly 8-8 is as well unless the tram fixes the defense.

The AFC East games will be huge.  I can’t underscore that enough HUUUUUUUUGE,.  Especially New England.  I’m very nervous to see what Belichick will have in store because I can assure you he’ll take the same approach to attack the Bills as Vrabel did

56 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The defense is most different when Milano is out I don't disagree. With him and White back the pass defense should be somewhat better. But the defensive line is bad and Star/Shaq/Jordan gone is really showing how much they miss them. That is something which maybe they are able to bandaid but needs major work come offseason.

We still have some tough games left:

Chiefs

Seahawks

Pats x2

Cardinals

Steelers

Niners?

The AFC is really tough this year, Chiefs, Ravens, Titans, Steelers, Pats, Browns, Raiders are all playoff caliber teams.   Winning the division will be pivotal this year.  The Pats games are the biggest games of the year for us.

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

I don't even see the games with NE as players vs. players. It's McDermott vs. Belichick. Take Belichick every time IMO. McDermott is just too slow to adjust, if they even have good contingencies in the first place...

True...but to be fair, if games were coach vs. coach Belichick would win most times

I won't overreact to the bizarro Titans game, but i'd be shocked if we beat KC, given the current state of our defense.  

I see us as a 10-6 team.

We can certainly be 11-5/12-4 if we fix the defense to a somewhat respectable level.  Unfortunately, 5 games is a decent sample size, and I don't see where the fix is coming from..  This isn't the typical 3 game McD skid that he tweaks and fixes mid-season.