Are we still a 9-7 team?

This is a better team than a year ago.  The defense has struggled some due, I think, to Star Lotulelei's decision to sit out the season, injuries at linebacker and the fact that Buffalo has faced a couple hot QBs (yes Fitzpatrick gets hot in lots of games he plays) including one of the more feared offenses in the league.  I think the defense, while it might not be to last years level, will improve some going forward, but in any case the improvement in the offense has more than made up for the slip in the defense.  Remember, though, that Buffalo has one of the most difficult schedules in the league this year.  I still think their record at the end of the season will be better than a year ago, but it may not be by much.

• Like (+1) 1

Until the Bills win more games, they are a 3-win team. I've been a Bills fan far too long to take anything for granted. 

They started 5-1 in 2008 and ended up 7-9.

They started 5-2 in 2011 and ended up 6-10. 

And if there ever were a season when you ought not to count your chickens before they are hatched, this Covid-19 altered season is it. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Most preseason predictions, along with Las Vegas, had us as a 9-win team. A fair and reasonable prediction given our schedule and the questions at QB. While it seems the QB questions have been answered, I'd say that Josh's development has been "balanced" by some Defensive regression to keep us about equal to where we were starting. With that said...

We are currently 3-0.

That means, if you believe 9-7 is still a likely outcome with this schedule, we are looking at going 6-7 the rest of the way (yikes).

I see 2 more wins coming from the Dolphins and Jets, and expect to split with the Pats. So that leaves 3 other wins.

Broncos and Chargers are probably the rest of the "obvious" wins. Leaving only 1 more win out of Raiders, Titans, Chiefs, Seahawks, Cardinals, 49ers, and Steelers.

I'd have to think we can get a win from one of those better teams*. But could also see us dropping a stinker against the Broncos or something (sorry, BBFS).

So sitting at 3-0, and getting a head start on our record, how do YOU see the rest of the season playing out? Can we get to 10-6? Are we mentally prepared to go 6-7 the rest of the way?

edit to clarify: When I say "those better teams", I mean that as "the better teams on our schedule", not "teams that are better than us". I also believe we can certainly beat more than 1 of them.

Just crazy to think that with this good start, we could be looking at 10-11 wins even with a tough schedule. Also steeling myself to understand that even if we do go 6-7 the rest of the way, we still have a good shot at the division since I dont see the Pats being much better.

Unless Josh gets hurt, 9-7 should land some folks in the hot seat.  That would be a very disappointing season at this point.

9 could still win the Division and would very likely get us in the expanded playoffs. I believe that’s the low water mark but the schedule is daunting. If we are assured a Playoff spot at 9 wins and have nagging injuries, I could see us playing ‘Jets’ games at the end..

KC, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Arizona, 9ers & 2 w/Pats* is a gauntlet! To say nothing (currently) of Denver, Tenn & Fish.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, I don’t know who was saying 9-7, but I’ve always been saying 12-4 or better. 

The death of the defense is highly exaggerated. We have all the core pieces that we had last year for our number 2 defense, and we’ve seemed to have made some improvements as well that just haven’t shown up yet. I expect the defense will get humming shortly. Besides, defense always matters more in December than it does in September.

I agree with this. Since McD came to Buffalo, there have been a three to four game series where the D was really lousy. It was straight out of the gate in his first year, a little later in year two and, if I recall correctly, mid year last year. 

They’re getting that out of their system early this year. Now if the can get rid of the third quarter O lull, they’ll be good. 

I think they win eleven but the 10-12 range wouldn’t surprise me. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Actually, I think we'll be 13-3. You need to get over your BBFS and stop conceding things to so-called "elite" teams. We ARE one of those top-tier teams. Enough with the mindset of mediocrity. Even the toughest matchup is a pick 'em, with the possible exception of Kansas City.

If and only if the defense starts playing much better than it has the past couple of games. Which could easily happen. But is certainly not a sure thing.

And it's worth understanding that while Allen has taken a huge leap, part of the reason this offense is doing so very well is that it's functioning totally differently from how it did in the past. And due to no preseason, teams had even less tape than they usually do on units that have made major changes. As teams see more tape, they will better be able to attack our tendencies and weaknesses. Expect them to catch up some.

It's not a mistake that QBs are doing historically well early this season, IMO. The lack of a preseason helped.

Should be a very interesting year.

Edited by Thurman#1

The challenge for this team are several in my opinion:  1)  The team is one Allen run that ends with a hard hit and a season ending injury away from being mediocre; 2) The defense seems pretty porous, particularly against the run - when your secondary leads the team in tackles like it does now that's not great (Poyer, Hyde, Wallace and Johnson in that order).  Its early and the meat of the schedule is ahead of the team.  Their attitude seems really positive as it should be.  I feel like 10-6 is a very good season and as someone else said, its a better 10-6 than last year based on strength of schedule.  

Edited by chaccof
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Just looking forward to 4-0 this week. We are in control of our own destiny. Maybe later in the season, we can talk about getting the top seed / top 4 seed for bye / home field. Right now it is One week at a time baby!

Only one team per Conference gets a bye in Week 1 of the playoffs under the new format. 

I hope this changes when they add a 17th game, though that in itself should nearly eliminate tied records.

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Most preseason predictions, along with Las Vegas, had us as a 9-win team. A fair and reasonable prediction given our schedule and the questions at QB. While it seems the QB questions have been answered, I'd say that Josh's development has been "balanced" by some Defensive regression to keep us about equal to where we were starting. With that said...

We are currently 3-0.

That means, if you believe 9-7 is still a likely outcome with this schedule, we are looking at going 6-7 the rest of the way (yikes).

I see 2 more wins coming from the Dolphins and Jets, and expect to split with the Pats. So that leaves 3 other wins.

Broncos and Chargers are probably the rest of the "obvious" wins. Leaving only 1 more win out of Raiders, Titans, Chiefs, Seahawks, Cardinals, 49ers, and Steelers.

I'd have to think we can get a win from one of those better teams*. But could also see us dropping a stinker against the Broncos or something (sorry, BBFS).

So sitting at 3-0, and getting a head start on our record, how do YOU see the rest of the season playing out? Can we get to 10-6? Are we mentally prepared to go 6-7 the rest of the way?

edit to clarify: When I say "those better teams", I mean that as "the better teams on our schedule", not "teams that are better than us". I also believe we can certainly beat more than 1 of them.

Just crazy to think that with this good start, we could be looking at 10-11 wins even with a tough schedule. Also steeling myself to understand that even if we do go 6-7 the rest of the way, we still have a good shot at the division since I dont see the Pats being much better.

Given how the NFC West is playing, 9-7 might win the AFCE!

It just shows how it those divisional games are - in particular the 2 versus NE.  

As far as the rest of the scheduled, I find that teams always lose a few games they should win and a win a few they should lose.  It usually evens out

13-3, to match our franchise marks set in '90 & '91. That allows for close stumbles against the Chiefs, Seahawks & '9ers--the rest if we play up to form should be W's. Of course, what will likely happen though is we win one of those aforementioned games and lose one of the ones we should win, like the Broncos or Las Vegas...either way, 13 wins it is.   

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I had us at 11 wins. Still think that is where we end up.

I can see this too. Which is a pretty amazing feat given our schedule this year.

11 wins this year means we wouldve been a 13 win team on last year's schedule, and possibly setup to be a 12-13 win team next year.

• Like (+1) 2

I want to win every game of course... but if I had to choose between more wins with an easy schedule than less wins with a tougher schedule, I’ll take less wins as long as they make the playoffs. Better to be battle-tested against good teams if you want to make a playoff run.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1