Are we still a 9-7 team?

Most preseason predictions, along with Las Vegas, had us as a 9-win team. A fair and reasonable prediction given our schedule and the questions at QB. While it seems the QB questions have been answered, I'd say that Josh's development has been "balanced" by some Defensive regression to keep us about equal to where we were starting. With that said...

We are currently 3-0.

That means, if you believe 9-7 is still a likely outcome with this schedule, we are looking at going 6-7 the rest of the way (yikes).

I see 2 more wins coming from the Dolphins and Jets, and expect to split with the Pats. So that leaves 3 other wins.

Broncos and Chargers are probably the rest of the "obvious" wins. Leaving only 1 more win out of Raiders, Titans, Chiefs, Seahawks, Cardinals, 49ers, and Steelers.

I'd have to think we can get a win from one of those better teams*. But could also see us dropping a stinker against the Broncos or something (sorry, BBFS).

So sitting at 3-0, and getting a head start on our record, how do YOU see the rest of the season playing out? Can we get to 10-6? Are we mentally prepared to go 6-7 the rest of the way?

edit to clarify: When I say "those better teams", I mean that as "the better teams on our schedule", not "teams that are better than us". I also believe we can certainly beat more than 1 of them.

Just crazy to think that with this good start, we could be looking at 10-11 wins even with a tough schedule. Also steeling myself to understand that even if we do go 6-7 the rest of the way, we still have a good shot at the division since I dont see the Pats being much better.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

7 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Barring major injuries or COVID outbreaks, I think we're a 12 win team.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

13-3, like I said before the season!!!

It's tough to win 12-13 games in the NFL, even for a perennial contender on an easy schedule. Would love to see it, I Bill-ieve it's possible, but that would be a miracle to pull off this year. I hope you guys are right! GO BILLS!

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

The words obvious wins makes me cringe.  It's as if you haven't watched the NFL before.  I guess same goes for obvious losses.  

That's why it's in quotes.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Actually, I think we'll be 13-3. You need to get over your BBFS and stop conceding things to so-called "elite" teams. We ARE one of those top-tier teams. Enough with the mindset of mediocrity. Even the toughest matchup is a pick 'em, with the possible exception of Kansas City.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Most preseason predictions, along with Las Vegas, had us as a 9-win team. A fair and reasonable prediction given our schedule and the questions at QB. While it seems the QB questions have been answered, I'd say that Josh's development has been "balanced" by some Defensive regression to keep us about equal to where we were starting. With that said...

We are currently 3-0.

That means, if you believe 9-7 is still a likely outcome with this schedule, we are looking at going 6-7 the rest of the way (yikes).

I see 2 more wins coming from the Dolphins and Jets, and expect to split with the Pats. So that leaves 3 other wins.

Broncos and Chargers are probably the rest of the "obvious" wins. Leaving only 1 more win out of Raiders, Titans, Chiefs, Seahawks, Cardinals, 49ers, and Steelers.

I'd have to think we can get a win from one of those better teams. But could also see us dropping a stinker against the Broncos or something (sorry, BBFS).

So sitting at 3-0, and getting a head start on our record, how do YOU see the rest of the season playing out? Can we get to 10-6? Are we mentally prepared to go 6-7 the rest of the way?

Anything less than 12 wins is a disappointment for this team.

Teams they are Better than.

Raiders

Titans

Jets

Patriots

Cardinals

Chargers

Broncos

Dolphins

Teams they are on Par with

Steelers

49ers

Seahawks

Teams they are slightly worse than

Chiefs

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 8

I think I said 11-5 and winning the division at the beginning of the year. If we stay healthy, and that is a big IF, then I see that as our floor. If we get 4 more wins in our division alone that makes 7 wins. We should sweep the division this year, but could lose one to NE. We should beat the Raiders and that is 8 wins. Chargers, SF, and Denver, 3 games I believe we will win, makes that 11 win total. The Arizona game should be a W, but that offense could be a problem. That would be 12 wins if we sweep the division or 11 if we drop one to the Pats. Tennessee, KC, Pittsburgh, and Seattle are by far the toughest games on our schedule. They are games that the odds will be against us. We're a good football team. I want to see a W this week against LV and see how the Titans game plays out with them now basically getting an early bye. After that it's KC 4 days later on a Thursday night. We'll find out a lot over the next three weeks, but I don't see us having anything less than 11 wins this year. 

• Like (+1) 3

Before the season started I thought we would finish 10-6. 

After the 3-0 start, with how Josh Allen is playing, and with how the DEF is playing I think 10-6 is the worst we would finish (barring injuries). 

I have faith that McDermott will fix the DEF, but even if he doesn't, JA is playing well enough to get us to 10 wins. If the DEF gets fixed we're looking like a legit contender and should expect 12+ wins (again, barring injuries). 

• Like (+1) 1

I still think we can be in the 9-10 win range. 
Color me highly impressed by the offense. But we have not seen any real lulls which we might. The defense has looked terrible (as have almost all defenses) 

I can see a little rough patch of sketchy offensive play or defenses not being able to hold to get us that win. 
Obviously I would love a 12 or 13 win season especially given the schedule. I don’t want to get too high or too confident in our new found offensive output. Daboll imo has been fantastic this season and just like josh seems to have really turned the corner and opened things up. Same as josh, can it be maintained? These are questions that keep me from getting too confident just yet. Pats games, Seattle and KC are bigtime all eyes on us Super Bowl tests that will show where we are really at. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's tough to win 12-13 games in the NFL, even for a perennial contender on an easy schedule. Would love to see it, I Bill-ieve it's possible, but that would be a miracle to pull off this year. I hope you guys are right! GO BILLS!

While our offense will come down to earth (Josh is not scoring 60+ TDs this year), I do think our defense will hit their stride in the coming weeks.

That balance will be critical as we get into January.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We are currently 3-0.

I'd have to think we can get a win from one of those better teams. But could also see us dropping a stinker against the Broncos or something (sorry, BBFS).

We no longer should be talking about "How we can beat other teams" we should be talking about "How can other teams beat us??"

• Like (+1) 1

This team is very capable & I believe in them. Every NFL Season has its ups & downs - we are sure to run  into a rough patch somewhere. Aside from the negative impact of a huge run of injuries or an injury to one of the essential key players (always possible in the NFL) - I have a hard time envisioning this team winning less than 10 or 11 games. If we are fortunate to have some things fall our way - then 12 wins is possible too.

I mean, I don’t know who was saying 9-7, but I’ve always been saying 12-4 or better. 

The death of the defense is highly exaggerated. We have all the core pieces that we had last year for our number 2 defense, and we’ve seemed to have made some improvements as well that just haven’t shown up yet. I expect the defense will get humming shortly. Besides, defense always matters more in December than it does in September.

It's possible that the Bills still finish 10-6. Let's be fair folks, we were very very close to be looking at 2-1 right now.  The schedule is very tough.

Last year the Bills were 10-6 but a lighter 10-6. If this team is 10-6 with one of the hardest schedules in the NFL they will be built for the playoffs much better this time around.

Edited by Like A Mofo
  • Like (+1) 1