Titans-Steelers game postponed til later in the season...Titans now effectively have a bye week to prepare for Bills

Big Turk
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

What concerns me about this is the logistics.  You're telling me the team couldn't find a field and a gym to practice at for a few days? 

To me, this was a minimal exposure and they are pushing an entire game back.  I'm concerned for what will happen if more issues occur.

How I would have handled it.  Shut the place down for 24 hours and do a deep cleaning.  Test everyone after that and let them return to the facility.  If more test positive on Friday, enough to where they can't field a team, then postpone the game.  If they can field a healthy team, then they play with who's left.  Shame on them for not being safe.

Between this and the Raiders players going to parties without masks, I'm worried for the rest of the season

They are not doing it because they can’t field a team.  They are closing it down to prevent further spread within the team.

We already know they had 1 guy test positive and get held out last Saturday.  Everyone else was negative, but prior to any players coming up positive - it was spread to other coaches and some other non-players.  All of those guys tested initially negative, but since then another player has come up positive  3 days later.  The point is - without the stoppage - that person could have infected others in the locker room and then while testing negative other spread it before the positives show up.

You stop the spread by separating everyone through the incubation period and catch everyone that is potentially positive.  Then you clean everything and keep the positives away for at least 10-14 days.  They must ensure that the spread is stopped and even daily testing does not always catch that because the time you can spread and the time you become positive have some overlap and this was bad enough that not only are these additional positives - some are symptomatic positives.  

The NFL was looking at a one day delay if no one else had tested positive.  The additional positive means others could also test positive later - so you close it down until Saturday and give time for more people to have multiple tests. They are doing exactly what they should and these guys should all be kept out.

If it happens again (and it most likely will) the NFL will deal with it on a case by case basis - trying to play every game - while making sure as needed games get moved or postponed.  It should not be one size fits all, but should help guide teams as we move forward.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Last I heard they were all asymptomatic

Nope several presented with symptoms after the exposure and the positive results.

Nucci got the link - thanks.

Edited by Rochesterfan

You can do everything right and still get covid.  You can make bad decisions and get covid.  If Tennessee made bad decisions, then they should pay a price.  Other teams should not be punished in that case.  I am thinking more Pittsburgh than Buffalo at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I don't like this...it effectively gives the Titans a major advantage because they screwed up and are now rewarded with extra time to prepare for us that we don't have.

The reward of an extra week to prepare is balanced by having their facility "closed until further notice".   Right now their players are scrambling to find the training and S&C services and seamless meal preparation/nutritional advice they would expect to obtain in their facility and they can't practice, which kind of balances the advantage of the bye.

15 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

You can do everything right and still get covid.  You can make bad decisions and get covid.  If Tennessee made bad decisions, then they should pay a price.  Other teams should not be punished in that case.  I am thinking more Pittsburgh than Buffalo at this point.

Yeah, it's not optimal to have a bye week in Week 4.

31 minutes ago, nucci said:

"“You know we’ve evaluated what we’ve done and the protocols, and how we’ve handled the meetings,” he says. “[We’ve] continued to have social distancing in those meetings. And I’m not going to begin to try to understand or track down how a virus would spread.”

I like Vrabel the better for this.  Normally "everybody's an epidemiologist" and "everybody's an infectious disease expert" just like "everybody's a football scout"

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

2 things:

1- How do we know they screwed up?

2- how much time does it take to prepare: run, run, run, run, play action pass.

Don't forget the screen or occasional deep bomb.

The Bills Milano- and Edmunds-less D looked porous as hell.  Last week was the Tale of Two Halves for our D (or more properly, the Tale of 2 1/2 Q vs 1 1/2 Q).

The question of the hour is what McDermott and Frazier will manage to do about it, and the Titans won't get the tape on that until Sunday night.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I don't like this...it effectively gives the Titans a major advantage because they screwed up and are now rewarded with extra time to prepare for us that we don't have.

Relax.  They can’t even get in their building until at least Saturday.   So it’s one day and they have 4-5 and perhaps more players who may be out because of COVID.  Hardly any advantage.   If any more people test positive , for example on Saturday or Sunday after they have been allowed back in the facility, they may lose even more practice time as the place is disinfected.  Also it’s early In the season and the titans are missing valuable reps and a week of actual game play that can’t be simulated.  The Bills , who need to sharpens their defensive schemes get an extra week of competition to prepare for he titans run game.  So other than routine risk of injury , the Bills actually are in a better place and this FSU be seen as a positive for the Bills.  No big advantage for the Titans  ( plus it’s possible even the bills titans game could be postponed if more titans test positive ) , so just take a deep breath , wear a mask as they work,  and worry about the Raiders which is a much more realistic competitive issue than any competitive perceived advantage for the titans.  The titans have beaten up , barely, on weak teams and Having watched our offense , I am pretty certain we will go in as a favorite and I see them as much less of a threat now than what I was expecting prior to the season

. Friendly PSA  as a dr with 40 plus years of clinical practice , look up the math plus protocol from eastern Virginia Med school and dr Marin.  Very good  advice from a great clinician (.  Check his lecture on YouTube ) who published  a well documented and received protocol for prevention and treatment, which myself and many colleagues are following as ONE method to reduce risk of getting and treating COVID. ( I am at risk being 63 and a PCP) THIS is a terrible virus that I would wish on. No one and I just mention the math plus protocol  to look at because I hope all Bills mafia stay healthy and not everyone has time to keep up with all the studies and current therapies.    I have no financial association with that protocol , just mention it for lay people to look at and discuss with their Drs, and wish to offend no one.   Only mention it in light of the titans proving even young healthy athletes are not without risk. Stay positive ,,,,,about the Bills! 

• Like (+1) 2

The league has communicated that they are in the process of changing some future games of the Steelers and Titans in order to schedule their postponed game. This will impact a number of other teams.  Until they release these changes to the public, it isn't necessarily a done deal that the Bills will be playing the Titans in week 5.  We all just need to chill at this point.

2 hours ago, CaliBills said:

Its not a big deal.

Its like they played Thursday night this week and we get them the following Sunday.

Plus - they wont be able to meet in person until all non current positive staff and players are cleared.  So practices aren't being held either.

Heck - they might not even be able to meet in person on Monday/Tuesday of next week.  

It’s not a big deal, but it’s a definite advantage. Regardless of the fact that the players can’t meet and practice, the coaching staff and their assistants will be pouring over the film and given extra time to craft a game plan. That extra time is valuable. 

2 hours ago, scribo said:

HUGE mistake by the NFL. Consistency is key to even-ground competition. Should another team have a similar situation arise later in the season, particularly after the bye weeks, the league will not be able to make such accommodations. This sets a precedent that the NFL won't likely be able to follow later.

I hate to say it, but this now truly is the first loose string of an unraveling ball of yarn.

I say get used to it..

This will be the most screwed up season in history...

2 hours ago, nucci said:

it's possible more players are sick, they can't practice and just had a game postponed.....how is this a big plus?

One question would you rather play them after or before the Steelers and titans pound each other in the ground. That’s going to be a hard hitting I need the ice tub kind of game. I don’t even see how You don’t see that as a big plus for them.