Titans-Steelers game postponed til later in the season...Titans now effectively have a bye week to prepare for Bills

Big Turk
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I'm not so sure it gives them any advantage.

Do they have more time to pour over film? Sure. But that's about it. They aren't allowed in the facility, they can't practice together. They have also been preparing for the Steelers up until this point. So they get what, an extra 2 days prep? Hardly an advantage.

More like 4 days (Thursday Friday, sat, Sun.) Because they would normally start on Monday for the bills. 

Just now, bills6969 said:

Are we sure our game vs Titans gets played? What if there are more cases on titans into next week?

Exactly. The problem must be worse than they thought. Thank god we have competent management who'll ensure that it's safe before they set foot in Nashville.

1 minute ago, bills6969 said:

Are we sure our game vs Titans gets played? What if there are more cases on titans into next week?

Absolutely not, as was stated if more turn up positive the week 5 game may be out too.  Then it will become a fun thing for the league to figure out how to re-schedule that.  None of the other teams bye weeks line up with the Titans either unless they do some kind of juggling to make them align.

Just now, gordong said:

More like 4 days (Thursday Friday, sat, Sun.) Because they would normally start on Monday for the bills. 

They have days off. Those players won't be working all 4 of those days, the CBA and I'm sure the new Covid procedures won't allow it.

What concerns me about this is the logistics.  You're telling me the team couldn't find a field and a gym to practice at for a few days? 

To me, this was a minimal exposure and they are pushing an entire game back.  I'm concerned for what will happen if more issues occur.

How I would have handled it.  Shut the place down for 24 hours and do a deep cleaning.  Test everyone after that and let them return to the facility.  If more test positive on Friday, enough to where they can't field a team, then postpone the game.  If they can field a healthy team, then they play with who's left.  Shame on them for not being safe.

Between this and the Raiders players going to parties without masks, I'm worried for the rest of the season

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

They have days off. Those players won't be working all 4 of those days, the CBA and I'm sure the new Covid procedures won't allow it.

Coaches don't have days off they are game planning.

Edited by gordong

I don't have a huge issue with this in terms of competitive balance affecting us..  The Titans literally can't even go to their facilities right now and, even if they could, it's essentially akin to playing a team off a week prior where they had TNF.

I do think the NFL jumped the gun on not playing this game, unless they have reason to believe there will be many more cases on the Titans..  They expanded Practice Squads for this exact scenario.... five players testing positive seems like a bad precedent to set on fully postponing a game...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I don't have a huge issue with this in terms of competitive balance affecting us..  The Titans literally can't even go to their facilities right now and, even if they could, it's essentially akin to playing a team off a week prior where they had TNF.

I do think the NFL jumped the gun on not playing this game, unless they have reason to believe there will be many more cases on the Titans..  They expanded Practice Squads for this exact scenario.... five players testing positive seems like a bad precedent to set on fully postponing a game...

beat me by 30 seconds 

Just now, SCBills said:

Operating out of an abundance of caution is the only way to go.  They play the game and infect the other team- then we have a major season threating outbreak.

6 minutes ago, Process said:

If anything this will end up benefitting the Bills. If they keep getting more positives they likely won't be able to practice early next week either. And obviously everyone who tests positive won't be able to play in the game.

This is my take, too.  Sure, they have a week "off," but they can't really use it the same way as they would a bye week, and they figure to be missing some players when we face them.

15 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I wouldn't call it a reward.

Also, how do you know they "screwed up"?  Maybe a player picked it up from their child after schools reopened, or at a grocery store....

The word on the street is that the Titans were bringing in players for weekly FA visits without giving them any sort of testing and that one of these players brought in was the cause of it. That is complete and utter BS if found to be true...extremely irresponsible on their part.

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

There was clearly an outbreak and tests are still coming back positive from it. How can you allow the team get together when there could be more players who have it that haven't tested positive yet? You can't. And a team cant play a game with 0 practice. 

The NFL has done a good job limiting cases across the league but ****ed up big time by not making adjustments to the schedule to accommodate games that needs to be postponed. This could end up being a huge issue. There should have been several built in bye weeks throughout the year. 

• Like (+1) 1