Titans-Steelers game postponed til later in the season...Titans now effectively have a bye week to prepare for Bills

Big Turk
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

I don't like this...it effectively gives the Titans a major advantage because they screwed up and are now rewarded with extra time to prepare for us that we don't have.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 4

It's part of having a season in the time of COVID.  It's not going to be perfect.  

I'll take this w/ the trade-off that the season continues.

But I think the NFL was shortsighted on this. They should have built in at least 2 weeks between the regular season & playoffs for make-up games. They can't do double-headers like baseball.

• Like (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I don't like this...it effectively gives the Titans a major advantage because they screwed up and are now rewarded with extra time to prepare for us that we don't have.

I wouldn't call it a reward.

Also, how do you know they "screwed up"?  Maybe a player picked it up from their child after schools reopened, or at a grocery store....

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They are not allowed in the building at all this week.

We are in the middle of a pandemic, we knew things like this were going to happen. All teams will end up being affected at some point. 

There is absolutely no reason we should feel cheated or cry about them having a week off. **** is going to happen this year.

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 17
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I wonder if they did and just didn’t want to raise any alarm bells. It shouldn’t be hard to tack on a week or two, right?

I was hoping for a similar open week mid-season (or around week 11 or 12) for makeup games. You’re right though. So long as the games roll on, I’m more or less fine with whatever. 

Its not a big deal.

Its like they played Thursday night this week and we get them the following Sunday.

Plus - they wont be able to meet in person until all non current positive staff and players are cleared.  So practices aren't being held either.

Heck - they might not even be able to meet in person on Monday/Tuesday of next week.  

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'm not so sure it gives them any advantage.

Do they have more time to pour over film? Sure. But that's about it. They aren't allowed in the facility, they can't practice together. They have also been preparing for the Steelers up until this point. So they get what, an extra 2 days prep? Hardly an advantage.

Not to mention they have more pressing matters at the moment, like getting those with Covid back on the field.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 5

Boy the NFL has really screwed up handling all of this Covid Stuff...   So because this team was not careful they get an edge in playing the bills, Meanwhile the dummy Raiders could infect our whole team because they ARE STUPID.   and the NFL keeps chugging along. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Process said:

They are not allowed in the building at all this week.

We are in the middle of a pandemic, we knew things like this were going to happen. All teams will end up being affected at some point. 

There is absolutely no reason we should feel cheated or cry about them having an extra bye week. **** is going to happen this year.

I don't think they'll have an extra bye, just this one.

An early bye might catch up to both the Titans and Steelers

• Like (+1) 2

They have several sick players and likely more will get sick in the next few days.  Most likely none of them will be ready to play us.  They will be shorthanded.  I see nothing good for Tennessee in this situation.  They can’t practice yet.

• Like (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, Success said:

It's part of having a season in the time of COVID.  It's not going to be perfect.  

I'll take this w/ the trade-off that the season continues.

But I think the NFL was shortsighted on this. They should have built in at least 2 weeks between the regular season & playoffs for make-up games. They can't do double-headers like baseball.

1 minute ago, fallen627 said:

I wonder if they did and just didn’t want to raise any alarm bells. It shouldn’t be hard to tack on a week or two, right?

I was hoping for a similar open week mid-season (or around week 11 or 12) for makeup games. You’re right though. So long as the games roll on, I’m more or less fine with whatever. 

Yes it's very hard.  One week is easy, but two weeks requires moving the Super Bowl.  Or they would have needed to start the season earlier.  Considering how litle training camp they had, don't think that would have been a good idea either.  Moving the SB is not an easy thing when you consider things like hotel rooms, travel, venues, etc.

HUGE mistake by the NFL. Consistency is key to even-ground competition. Should another team have a similar situation arise later in the season, particularly after the bye weeks, the league will not be able to make such accommodations. This sets a precedent that the NFL won't likely be able to follow later.

I hate to say it, but this now truly is the first loose string of an unraveling ball of yarn.

• Like (+1) 5

If anything this will end up benefitting the Bills. If they keep getting more positives they likely won't be able to practice early next week either. And obviously everyone who tests positive won't be able to play in the game.

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 2