CB Marlon Humphrey agrees to 5 year $97.5 million contract extension....Tre's deal looking like a steal more and more

Big Turk

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Makes you wonder what the perception in league circles about McD’s defense and DB’s playing in it is... do agents know that when teams look at an elite player in McD’s secondary that there’s some question  about how that will transfer? No slight on white here. Just curios.

We did see this with Norman... All pro player under McD, gets traded and makes a crap ton of money and sucks. 

Hopefully Milano's agent feels the same way about his guy being a system-LB :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly Humphrey may be better than Trey - more physical, complete player.  And I love Trey.  Humphrey is a BALLER.

The context for how these teams employ the player needs to be talked about.  Tre is playing a lot of zone and he was a 1st Team All-Pro last season.  No minimizing that because Buffalo hasn't had many with that accolade in the past 20 years.  Still, guys who largely play zone are not gonna get paid like M2M types who can hold down their man as Humphrey does. 

A contract extension for positions like CB have a lot do with how a team uses them.  That factors in to how the deal is structured and its size. 

For the record, Humphrey received 11M more in guaranteed money over Tre's deal, which is how I view NFL contracts, not in AAV.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Beane is a magician for getting players to accept less than what they could get...

https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-sign-cb-marlon-humphrey-to-5-year-contract-extension

Actually, looking closely - Tre's deal is not that much of a steal for us relative to Humphrey (It is a steal relative to Ramsey no doubt). Tre got 55 mill guaranteed, Humphrey only appears to be getting 37 mill guaranteed. So we should back off calling for Tre to change agents:) Am I missing something?

Edit: This tweet suggests he is getting 66 mill guaranteed. But does it include the 5th year option or not? If it does, then the deals for Tre and Humphrey appear identical - if not, then we did get a steal.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

As long as agents get paid a percentage of the player's salary, there will be pressure on the player to squeeze every dime out of the team.  And who can really fault either the player or the agent for that?  But, if the team's best players as a group talk to each other and say they want to keep the team together because they love having each other as teammates, maybe they all can agree to forego enough money to keep the core around.

The Bills are in a great spot now, but all those smart draft picks are going to be looking for more money in a big wave.  White is just the leading edge.  Allen is going to deserve a huge raise (I hope he is still playing great into the future), and Edmunds and Oliver could play themselves into a highly leveraged spot.  I don't know how long Diggs has on his current contract but he will probably get a big raise too.  If those guys are willing to take team-friendly contracts, that will help the Bills carry on with their approach of having very good players across the board, but not very many top guys who can demand top money.

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Gotta give Props to the Player willing to leave money on the table to help the team in the Future.  I would love Josh (when he gets his contract) to go the likes of the Brady, taking a well below market value contract to keep money to put nice talent around him.

Imagine peoples head explosion on If Josh stays on his current trajectory and accepts a 20M AAV contract extension.

I mean...Giselle is the real bread-winner in that family.

Does Josh have a Giselle?

Maybe he should get a Giselle...

(cue the pictures of Brittany)

Even though Tre had the biggest DB contract in history at the time of his signing, the way the deal was structured, from the very beginning I viewed it as being a very friendly deal for the Bills, especially considering that it was extended out and that if you averaged out the years remaining it ends up being even less than what it appears on face value.

I just hope Tre doesn't become slightly resentful about the explosion in the DB market valuation.  Both of the DB's signed for considerably more money.

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Makes you wonder what the perception in league circles about McD’s defense and DB’s playing in it is... do agents know that when teams look at an elite player in McD’s secondary that there’s some question  about how that will transfer? No slight on white here. Just curios.

We did see this with Norman... All pro player under McD, gets traded and makes a crap ton of money and sucks. 

You could be correct about this.  Some teams are only interested in a DB that can play excellent press man to man coverage.  There are not many of them around, so they have to pay them a lot to keep them.  McD doesn't depend on strict man to man defense and can get good use out of other skills.  I think he places a high value on smart players that don't make mistakes and guys that are willing tacklers.  As you say, Norman was a good example.

I was just looking at the stats and comparing White to Humphrey

Humphrey - 49 games since 2017

150 tackles, 124 solo, 0.05 sack, 4 FFs, 3 FRs, 8 Ints returned for 55 yards, 44 Passes Defensed, 9 stuffs 

White - 50 games since 2017

186 tackles, 150 solo, 1 sack, 3 FFs, 3 FRs, 12 Ints returned for 180 yards, 46 Passes Defensed, 7 stuffs

Seems to me Beane got a heck of a deal

Just now, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

You could be correct about this.  Some teams are only interested in a DB that can play excellent press man to man coverage.  There are not many of them around, so they have to pay them a lot to keep them.  McD doesn't depend on strict man to man defense and can get good use out of other skills.  I think he places a high value on smart players that don't make mistakes and guys that are willing tacklers.  As you say, Norman was a good example.

Right, and it’s not to say White is any less of a player than those players... just curious what the perception is seeing as McD has a track record of getting above average play out of below average players. Obviously white isn’t below average, but you wonder if it skews it.

Like, do teams look at WR’s from Pittsburgh differently? Or RB’s from SF (or Denver when Shanny was there)

• Like (+1) 1