CB Marlon Humphrey agrees to 5 year $97.5 million contract extension....Tre's deal looking like a steal more and more

Big Turk

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Beane is a magician for getting players to accept less than what they could get...

https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-sign-cb-marlon-humphrey-to-5-year-contract-extension

Gotta give Props to the Player willing to leave money on the table to help the team in the Future.  I would love Josh (when he gets his contract) to go the likes of the Brady, taking a well below market value contract to keep money to put nice talent around him.

Imagine peoples head explosion on If Josh stays on his current trajectory and accepts a 20M AAV contract extension.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

😲

WOW! Who the Hell is Marlon Humphrey?

You're right OP! Whew!

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Gotta give Props to the Player willing to leave money on the table to help the team in the Future.  I would love Josh (when he gets his contract) to go the likes of the Brady, taking a well below market value contract to keep money to put nice talent around him.

Imagine peoples head explosion on If Josh stays on his current trajectory and accepts a 20M AAV contract extension.

I don’t recall all the side ‘deals’ Pats* gave him, aside from the football contract, but they were PLENTY. Pegs would have to do something along those lines as well. But given the QB market and the ongoing ‘next big contract scenario’, we can expect it to be the richest at the time, however it’s configured. 2 years and 2 games in, he’s showing he deserves it.

• Like (+1) 1

Makes you wonder what the perception in league circles about McD’s defense and DB’s playing in it is... do agents know that when teams look at an elite player in McD’s secondary that there’s some question  about how that will transfer? No slight on white here. Just curios.

We did see this with Norman... All pro player under McD, gets traded and makes a crap ton of money and sucks. 

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

😲

WOW! Who the Hell is Marlon Humphrey?

You're right OP! Whew!

I don’t recall all the side ‘deals’ Pats* gave him, aside from the football contract, but they were PLENTY. Pegs would have to do something along those lines as well. But given the QB market and the ongoing ‘next big contract scenario’, we can expect it to be the richest at the time, however it’s configured. 2 years and 2 games in, he’s showing he deserves it.

I mean he is an All-Pro corner so someone has to know him....he plays for he Ravens

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Makes you wonder what the perception in league circles about McD’s defense and DB’s playing in it is... do agents know that when teams look at an elite player in McD’s secondary that there’s some question  about how that will transfer? No slight on white here. Just curios.

We did see this with Norman... All pro player under McD, gets traded and makes a crap ton of money and sucks. 

There is a proper tool for everything...McD knows exactly what tools he needs and makes use of them properly in his scheme.  If another team takes that player and tries to use a screwdriver for a hammer, then it may work somewhat but overall it won't be the right fit. 

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I mean he is an All-Pro corner so someone has to know him....he plays for he Ravens

There is a proper tool for everything...McD knows exactly what tools he needs and makes use of them properly in his scheme.  If another team takes that player and tries to use a screwdriver for a hammer, then it may work somewhat but overall it won't be the right fit. 

For sure. As we’ve seen with many players who have been very good for McD but then struggled after leaving. I just wonder how much that affects their market value.

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

20M isn’t even a thing. 30m would be heads exploding type of discount if he finishes the year in good shape.

• Like (+1) 2

It’s all about timing. Tre was always going to reset the market. I don’t think Ramsey was going to sign until after Tre. Humphrey, Lattimore, etc, could have reset it prior to Tre though. The Bills getting Tre’s deal done when they did saved them a few million a year. Nice work all around

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Will be interested to see what happens when Diggs’ contract comes up—I keep thinking back to his Viking days BUT I’m hoping he’s happier here which will help us.  

My guess is that the Bills get out in front of it and offer him an extension WAY earlier than they should (something like what Amari got). 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My guess is that the Bills get out in front of it and offer him an extension WAY earlier than they should (something like what Amari got). 

Diggs still has 3 years left on his contract after this season and is essentially playing for half price compared to the market...I don't want to say he would be justified to hold out for a new contract, but....I think the Bills will reach something with him before it gets to that point...they have to know he is severely underpaid.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

When White signed his deal, he became the highest paid CB in NFL history.  Because others after him get more doesn't mean he left money on the table.  He set the market.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd have no issue with reworking Diggs contract sooner rather than later.  Having Allen, Diggs, Dawkins and Tre all locked down for the long term is quite the foundation.  Only thing missing is an elite DL player.

Edited by SCBills

That is the advantage of going in early (with 2 full years left). We got Tre at a 10 mill discount (4 yr 69 mill instead of something like 4 yr. 79 mill). So long as Tre is healthy and continues playing at a high level, he will still get close to the numbers Humphrey is getting - that extra year - there is a good chance Top CB salaries are 25 mill +. In the meanwhile, the Bills still have Tre for 6 years and their risk is decidedly lower than the Ravens'.

WTG Beane.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Beane is a magician for getting players to accept less than what they could get...

https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-sign-cb-marlon-humphrey-to-5-year-contract-extension

As usual, they're spinning the figures with extensions. 

Real money will be somewhere around 7 years $104 mill, which comes out to around $14.8M/ year. Tre if I remember got somewhere around $13.5M ...? But will receive a new contract a year earlier.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

When White signed his deal, he became the highest paid CB in NFL history.  Because others after him get more doesn't mean he left money on the table.  He set the market.

Yes. And he also got his injury insurance earlier.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1