What did so many of the draft experts miss about Allen?

Batman1876

This article is a great synopsis of this thread:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/10/8/21498755/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-breakout-season-qb-scouting

This section stood out:

Allen’s dramatic improvement means that one of two things must be true. The first is that it’s possible for quarterbacks to improve their ability to throw accurately well into their 20s, a lesson that would invalidate much of the current methodology behind how franchises draft quarterbacks...The other scenario is that Allen is a spectacular, incredible outlier. In this event, any teams that believe they should focus on finding mountain men like Allen in hopes of fixing their flaws will end up sinking valuable years and millions of dollars into doomed reclamation projects.

Bills fans probably want to believe that the first of these things is true, and that the media members like me who trashed Allen before the draft were entirely misguided in their thinking. And that may indeed be the case. Relying too heavily on statistical analysis in something as variable as quarterback scouting can lead to massive misses on players with singular traits. But Bills fans should probably hope that the second thing is more true, and that what’s happening with Allen is remarkable, irreplicable, and utterly unpredictable. Josh Allen seems to be special, and they got him. It’d be better for Buffalo if the rest of the league wasted valuable draft capital trying to find the next Josh Allen when in fact Josh Allen is the only person capable of doing the ridiculous things that Josh Allen is doing

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/30/2020 at 5:56 PM, Batman1876 said:

I've been reading a lot of pre draft analysis this week and realized that Allen has already proven them wrong, regardless of what happens from here. Thigs like his ceiling is Ryan Mallet, the next Jake Locker or Kyle Boller, I'd rather have Tyrod as my starter for the next 4 years, He wont be ready to start for 3 or 4 years if ever, Rosen will have a far better career than Allen. All of these are already wrong.  The question it's raised for me is what did all these experts fail to notice about Josh Allen? The Bills took him because they saw those takes were wrong, what did they see? 

Josh is the exception to the rule. Josh had tons of issues. 99% of the time players don’t work out the issues Josh had. Josh Allen is a unicorn. 

he never learned how to play football with a good system. Both high school and college set him way behind. no system. no supporting cast.  The most important thing is the leadership qualities. Listening to hi talk and seeing him with other people, it couldn't be more obvious what a great leader he is. He just has every intangible. You can't teach this stuff. It would be impossible for a person with his athletic ability and personality to not be successful. They won't always be as successful as he is at this moment, but his floor has always been a lot higher than he was given credit for. 

A good deal of the pundits jumped the shark with their adolescent descriptions of Allen’s short comings, and made themselves look all the more childish by not recognizing his obvious improvements, and even now many still haven’t the fortitude to acknowledge their absurd views of Allen are wrong, Pff we are all looking at you...