All-22 Grades for Bills/Rams (The Athletic)

HappyDays

5 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

The worst part of the Rams’ comeback, from a Bills perspective, had to be Allen’s temporary relapse into old habits that led to multiple negative plays. Perhaps it was complacency with a big lead, or Allen pressing to put the game out of reach because he saw the defense struggling. Whatever the case, Allen lost his poise and control of the offense. He was evading the pocket prematurely, occasionally throwing off his back foot and failing to “live to fight another day” on plays that called for either a dump-off pass or a throwaway. Though, fortunately for the Bills, it was only temporary.

If he is referring to the interception in the cover one analysis Kroft is open and the defense player coming free off the tackle prevents this from being an even bigger play as it was open and to say it was a hero ball.  Some of those throws off his back foot was due to the line being continually pushed back into him and funny how he gave praise to Ford for holing his own.  Did not like this analysis but to each there own.

39:36 is a good review and show of the play in regards to the interception

and as always these guys do a good job breaking it down some nice clips of Donald owning Ford in this but Josh gets the ball out quick enough 17:55 that swim move on Ford man taking advantage of the OL with his head down

The thing with Josh is that once he leaves the pocket something clicks in his head to say no matter what I am not taking a sack. Sometimes I wish he would just live to see another day but I think that is what makes Allen special is that do give up mentality.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

Maybe the sages can explain this, but for the entire second half, Edmunds seemed totally confused by the Rams offense.  I can understand missing tackles because of his injury, but to be completely in the wrong zip code when the play went his way was inexcusable.

Here's one from Cover1. Do you see where it breaks down?

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

Id like to see oliver get more reps over him. 

You do realize they play different roles, right...

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Epenesa screwed the pooch on that play as well, but chalk that up to inexperience.   I have no idea what Edmunds was doing...

Edited by Lurker

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Was this before or after Woods took the pitch for 18 yards to the right when entire Bills line went left?

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

You do realize they play different roles, right...

Epenesa screwed the pooch on that play as well, but chalk that up to inexperience.   I have no idea what Edmunds was doing...

Correct. Epenesa shows his inexperience and allows the TE to move him which kills Johnson's angle. Edmunds is playing Bgap, Milano Agap

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

Id like to see oliver get more reps over him. 

Pssssst. 

One plays 1 tech.  The other plays 3 tech.  They aren't substituting one for the other.

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

The thing with Josh is that once he leaves the pocket something clicks in his head to say no matter what I am not taking a sack. Sometimes I wish he would just live to see another day but I think that is what makes Allen special is that do give up mentality.

I don't mind Allen not wanting to take a sack  Taking sacks is a bad deal, some consider it almost as bad as a turnover.

But he needs to learn when to just throw it away and live for the next down.  There's no point in risking injury wrassling 480 lbs of linebacker to the ground and stiff arming Donald, only to sail a ball out the back of the endzone in the face of a 4th defender.

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Get NFL game pass and rewatch the game.... dude was a hot mess in the 3rd and 4th. Getting blown off the ball, easily engaged and blocked, wrong gaps, terrible missed tackles, over pursing. . 

Check out Woods TD to make the game 28-17. Olay! 

We all saw it. He took a bad angle and missed the tackle.

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I know fans like him but Harrison Phillips is such a meh player to me. 

He has been considerably worse than meh through 3 weeks. 

I am lower than Joe on Milano this week. Not that he didn't do better on the all22 than I immediately thought on tv angle but he still had some run fit mistakes as well. Other than that I agree with his grades. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I know fans like him but Harrison Phillips is such a meh player to me. 

He's coming off two knee surgeries. He needs some time to get back into things. Let's check back later in the season and see where he is at.

He was definately looking pretty good last year before his injury, in my opinion, and hasn't gotten back to that yet.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

He's coming off two knee surgeries. He needs some time to get back into things. Let's check back later in the season and see where he is at.

He was definately looking pretty good last year before his injury, in my opinion, and hasn't gotten back to that yet.

The problem is whether the Bills have that time. If they decide they need to go grab an alternative space eater then to me Phillips is on the hot seat. 

As for the Edmunds chat - this was Tremaine's career in microcosm. He is a vital cog in pass defense because of what he takes away but he continues to have run game struggles. My concern on the run game work is that this season looks more through 2 games like his rookie year rather than year 2 where I think he did find a little bit more consistency in that area. The Raiders and Titans worry me less because they are a bit more "straight ahead" as running teams. There isn't quite as much misdirection as the Rams. But you better know when we play New England Belichick is gonna give Edmunds a dozen things to look at every play because he knows if you can get him out of his gap the Bills D can be susceptible.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The problem is whether the Bills have that time. If they decide they need to go grab an alternative space eater then to me Phillips is on the hot seat. 

As for the Edmunds chat - this was Tremaine's career in microcosm. He is a vital cog in pass defense because of what he takes away but he continues to have run game struggles. My concern on the run game work is that this season looks more through 2 games like his rookie year rather than year 2 where I think he did find a little bit more consistency in that area. The Raiders and Titans worry me less because they are a bit more "straight ahead" as running teams. There isn't quite as much misdirection as the Rams. But you better know when we play New England Belichick is gonna give Edmunds a dozen things to look at every play because he knows if you can get him out of his gap the Bills D can be susceptible.

I don't think it is even remotely likely that Phillips would get cut or traded this year. But stranger things have happened. Could his snaps be reduced? For sure.

Edmunds went to the pro bowl last year. I think his trajectory as a player has been a fairly steady climb. He's still super young. He's banged up. I'm pretty sure he'll get things turned around.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I don't think it is even remotely likely that Phillips would get cut or traded this year. But stranger things have happened. Could his snaps be reduced? For sure.

Edmunds went to the pro bowl last year. I think his trajectory as a player has been a fairly steady climb. He's still super young. He's banged up. I'm pretty sure he'll get things turned around.

So if they decide they need a space eater who goes? They are not signing him and cutting another position. They already carry 9 DLinemen on the roster. They are not carrying 10. I think first most at risk is Darryl Johnson who is normally a core STer and played defense snaps week 1 and 2 but was sat down against the Rams. The problem with cutting him is of their five defensive ends only he and Epenesa offer any youth. Second most at risk even if fans don't want to hear it is Harrison Phillips. He is the only natural 1 tech on the roster. So when we look at the D tackles we have and start asking who has got the biggest responsibility to make more plays Phillips is the answer. I think he has two weeks to up his game. If the Raiders and Titans embarrass him like the Rams did I suspect he is out of a job. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So if they decide they need a space eater who goes? They are not signing him and cutting another position. They already carry 9 DLinemen on the roster. They are not carrying 10. I think first most at risk is Darryl Johnson who is normally a core STer and played defense snaps week 1 and 2 but was sat down against the Rams. The problem with cutting him is of their five defensive ends only he and Epenesa offer any youth. Second most at risk even if fans don't want to hear it is Harrison Phillips. He is the only natural 1 tech on the roster. So when we look at the D tackles we have and start asking who has got the biggest responsibility to make more plays Phillips is the answer. I think he has two weeks to up his game. If the Raiders and Titans embarrass him like the Rams did I suspect he is out of a job. 

They’d put Harry on IR.

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

And a guy completely fooled play after play, wrong gap play after play. 

Edmunds has been getting a lot of free passes. He played really well last season in spurts but he’s just too inconsistent to be a great player. 

He should be playing OLB. There was potential at MLB, but he had similar struggles in college when they moved him.