All-22 Grades for Bills/Rams (The Athletic)

HappyDays

46 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah. Looks like they’re finally getting the pieces to the O-line in place.  Now they need to settle on a right guard.  Spain?  Boettger?  Bates?  Boehm?

And I agree that Phillips is probably still recovering physically and mentally from the ACL tear.  Hopefully they start Butler because they need to do some thing and quick.

Believe this same article also stated that wouldn't be shocked to see Ford back at RG this week as may decide they'd rather go with Spain than Winters.  Long term think it will be Ford at LG and Feliciano at RG

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The guards will be Ford and Feliciano. 

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Believe this same article also stated that wouldn't be shocked to see Ford back at RG this week as may decide they'd rather go with Spain than Winters.  Long term think it will be Ford at LG and Feliciano at RG

Yeah I think Feliciano will be back at RG, but that might not be for another month or so. I’m talking in the short term.

Edited by Doc

49 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

He was looking like he was about to have a breakout in 2019 then he got hurt. He hasn't come back to that form in 2020.

Yep. My son tore his ACL and MCL. Being declared “fully healed” and trusting it are different things. It took some time to “just play”. I’m hoping it’s just a matter of getting back to the old frame of mind is all it will take and that comes sooner than later. We sure need some help up the middle, as the Rams demonstrated! 

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He actually does talk about that and gave Edmunds one of the lower grades for the day. I just don't want to post the whole thing and cheat them out of money.

Did he bury the lede with the analysis?. 

Joe's point was that Edmunds was stellar in the first half in taking away Rams' passing game, but totally regressed in the second half.  Could it be that Rams felt they still had enough time to attack the Bills on the ground nd exploit the Bills weakness in the middle, of which Edmunds is a big part?  All signs still point to a big positional misfit for Edmunds on this defense.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Ok here's more of what he wrote on Edmunds:

None of that is to say Edmunds didn’t struggle down the stretch. He did, and it looked like the shoulder injury was bothering him on tackle attempts and on plays where he needed to shed blocks. Still, he wasn’t more to blame than others for how the Bills’ defense let the game get away from them in the second half. On the surface, Edmunds has a lot of potential and comes with a big reputation as a former first-round pick. Reviewing the film offers a reminder that he’s playing through what looks to be a painful shoulder injury and is still a significant upgrade over his backup.

He also gave him the 4th lowest grade on the team. He wasn't trying to excuse his performance, just saying he wasnt the main culprit of the defensive collapse. Hopefully it's just the injury because so far this year he has definitely regressed.

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ok here's more of what he wrote on Edmunds:

.. Reviewing the film offers a reminder that he’s playing through what looks to be a painful shoulder injury and is still a significant upgrade over his backup...

He also gave him the 4th lowest grade on the team. He wasn't trying to excuse his performance, just saying he wasnt the main culprit of the defensive collapse. Hopefully it's just the injury because so far this year he has definitely regressed.

I don't understand why Joe threw Dodson under the bus for this game, considering that Edmunds played 99% of the defensive snaps.

5 minutes ago, GG said:

I don't understand why Joe threw Dodson under the bus for this game, considering that Edmunds played 99% of the defensive snaps.

He means compared to what Dodson did last week. He didn't grade Dodson in this game because his snap count was so low. Last week he gave him a D+.

definitely not paying for a Joe Buscaglia all-22 analysis. I can get a lot of fine info for free.....

Or Cover 1 was only $1 a month last I checked?

That "interception" was totally on Allen and the o-line. Mostly on Allen, I assume. I can't tell if Allen was calling out Kaiser and telling the o-line to shift, but they clearly didn't shift. They had 3 guys blocking the 2 left rushers and two guys blocking the 3 right rushers. Bad mix-up. You'd think it was easy to play the numbers game at the line, but it's not as clear when you're on the field in the middle of everything going on.

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He means compared to what Dodson did last week. He didn't grade Dodson in this game because his snap count was so low. Last week he gave him a D+.

That's a wholly unfair comparison, because Dodson didn't have Milano playing next to him.  Let's do a true apples to apples, with Milano in the game and Dodson getting some snaps.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah I think Feliciano will be because at RG, but that might not be for another month or so. I’m talking in the short term.

If they try to keep Feliciano out for another month with the offense rolling like this he will chew his way through a wall to get on the field. 

Edited by jeremy2020

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Lost a little respect for Joe B based on his analysis of Edmund's play.   Or Oliver, for that matter...

Ya I really don’t understand him giving Edmunds a bit of a free pass that game.

It definitely looked like the d line struggled and made Edmunds job tougher, but anyone watching that game could blatantly see missed tackle after missed tackle by him. Among many other things

Edited by BillsFan130

5 hours ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Jefferson got tons of love in the off-season but I can see why he couldn't crack the starting lineup in Seattle.

Hope he improves

Do yourself a favor and go look at the snap counts. They're at footballoutsiders.com

So, which Seattle defensive linemen last year had the most snaps? Throw in STs snaps and that would be Quinton Jefferson. OK, but take out STs snaps and count only DL reps? Clowney, with 624. Who was #2? Yup, that would be Quinton Jefferson with 602. So Clowney played 57% while Jefferson played 55%. More, Pro Football Reference says he started 12 of the 14 games he played last year with Seattle. I wouldn't call that not being able to "crack the starting lineup".

I personally always had doubts about how he'd do as a 1-tech, but as a 3 and especially as a DE, I think he's going to be quite good here.

Edited by Thurman#1

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And a guy completely fooled play after play, wrong gap play after play. 

Edmunds has been getting a lot of free passes. He played really well last season in spurts but he’s just too inconsistent to be a great player. 

Nonsense. Does he occasionally hit the wrong gap, particularly early in a year when there was little offseason work? Yeah.

But he's been very very good as he develops through the years... when not injured. Joe points it out and it's there to be seen anyway. 

The injury obviously had an effect in that game, as anyone would expect. He'll be fine as he recovers physically and the defense plays together.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Edmunds has been getting a lot of free passes. He played really well last season in spurts but he’s just too inconsistent to be a great player. 

Okay.  So the question is: do you think he has what it takes to be a consistently great player?  Is he on that trajectory?  Because if he is, then it's worth it.  If not...

38 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe the sages can explain this, but for the entire second half, Edmunds seemed totally confused by the Rams offense.  I can understand missing tackles because of his injury, but to be completely in the wrong zip code when the play went his way was inexcusable.

I’d say we got killed in the run more than the pass and it washere where Tremaine Edmunds stunk. He didn’t see where Henderson was going and seldom met him in the hole. It is debatable to fans whether his job is simply to watch a gap or find the ball but at some point you have to see the runner go right and he should go to meet him, he did not. He was also very easily taken out of plays by any type of blocking KC and he seemed to not try to beat it, he simply gave up.

Edmunds drove me crazy most of the game (when the Bills were on D).

i don’t care what anybody sez, You don’t need all-22 to watch Edmunds. Henderson just kept cutting back from the called hole, and no one was there, over and over. Edmunds would stand behind the pile as Henderson ran down feild.