Some thoughts on Bills start this season

freddyjj

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Really don't think the play of the defensive line was the issue against the Rams... it was the MLB. 

Edmunds definitely looked like poop twice baked, but the Rams RB had some nice, big ol holes to run through on several occasions.  Too often he was at the second level almost effortlessly....

But yeah Edmunds looked like a rookie way too much Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, freddyjj said:

OK, count me as a long time fan who is surprised by the Offensive juggernaut and Defensive enigma this 2020 Bills squad is to date.  Some things I think may be contributing to this situation that is the reverse of what most national, and some local, pundits predicted in the offseason:

1. The Bills D has spent most of the offseason practicing against the Bills Offense, and with the new 4WR look and 11 packages, has not had to do too may run fits.  What we are seeing is them trying to adjust in game.
  2. Jefferson at 290 lbs and Horrible Harry at 80% effectiveness are not ideal 1 techniques.  If Josh Jacobs or Derrick Henry go off, look for a veteran 1 technique (Snacks, Luiget) to be brought in to play the run.  It does appear they miss Star.
  3. The Bills passing game means they will shorten their own TOP as incomplete passes and quick possessions tilt the clock back towards opponents.  There were many games the last few years where bills won TOP and even TO ratio but lost the game.  An efficient offense lets them survive losing the TO battle and TOP like versus Fins and Rams.
  4. Is it me or do the Bills on D look markedly small?  The only big guys at their respective positions are maybe Edmunds and Butler.  It will be interesting to see what physical run teams do against the Bills.  Raiders, Titans and NE will provide such tests.
  5. Daboll seems to be doing NE type game by game personnel groupings to attack a teams weaknesses.  Run vs Jets, Crossers with WRs vs Fins, Play action and Spread vs Rams.  Nice to see Bills attack using all skill positions (WR, TE, RB and QB) based on opponent so far.
  6. It will be interesting if Daboll continues to play different OGs based on opposition.  Spain sitting down was apparently based on dealing with Donald.  When Mongo gets back does he, Ford, Winters or Spain rotate?  Or does one of those 4 get dealt for a pick or DT?
  7. Nickel coverage seems to be a big issue and is probably why Kyle Dugger was their Rd 2 target in draft.  Won't be surprised to see Neal or Norman (upon his return) used more here.  Johnson has struggled in coverage and versus run which led to his being replaced vs Rams for 9 plays by Marlowe as Bills tried to stop running game at start of 2nd half.  Would be nice to have one player able to both cover and stop the run.
  8. Teams with motion, Play Action and receivers good over the middle have a chance versus Bills D as coverage has broken down to date.  It's what the Rams and Fins did.
  9. As a smaller D, Bills count on penetration and ability to cover the flats with LBs.  Play action and end around runs have minimized this strength in games so far.
  10. Still waiting to see how Bass will do when we really need him.  Believe the next 2 games will provide the answer.

Let me know what you think and add your own early season takes.  Nice to have so many smart and passionate fans in this forum.

3.   When you complete 70% of your passes, the TOP isn't hurt too much, but not certain how sustainable that will be.  Having said that short 5 yard passes have a good chance of completion and more often that not will net more yards than a running play would.

6.   I think playing Ford at LG was more an audition to see if he can be the long term answer at LG and also due to fear of Donaldson going against Spain.  This week unless Feliciano is back may see Ford go back to right side as the overall thinking may be that Spain and Ford is better than Winters and Ford.  Ford did reasonably well for the first game at LG against maybe the best DT in the game so feel once Feliciano is back, barring a melt down by Ford, the line up will be Ford LG and Feliciano RG and will stay that way.

• Like (+1) 2

Star wasn't preventing anything when he was playing. They got gashed up the middle in games last year as well. The difference now is that they don't have Shaq or Lorax who were very good on the edge against the run. White looks bad and I hope he rebounds, but this defense has been suspect against the rush before. The issues against the pass is something new. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Nice write up.  Good thought process imo.

I REALLY hope we add one big bodied DT. Snacks would be ideal but I’m not holding my breath. Luiget does make some sense, I just wonder if he’s in NFL shape at this point (same goes for Snacks).

I hope we can figure out this big nickel position.  Taron is gonna get mangled if has to continually take on the run every play.  

As I mentioned in another thread, Siran Neal and his lack of playing time has been the biggest disappointment this season imo.  I though he was going to be a big part of this D

anyone know what Sam Adams or Pat Williams are up to these days? Let's give them a call. Two of the better space eaters we've had.

7 hours ago, Kwai San said:

***so many smart***

Man thats a push!! 😈 

Seriously tho - well thought out, pretty much the last sentence in point #2 sums the whole thing up for me.

Go BILLS!

I know right! Talk about making yourself "flame proof". 😆

Good post though OP. I'd love to see the team make a push for Snacks Harrison. I'd even give Earl Thomas a call to bolster our Safety position.

Edited by billsbackto81