30 Years Ago Today

Wacka

Thirty years ago today, September 30, 1990, the Bills scored 20 points  in 77 seconds against the Denver Broncos.

Denver was ahead 20-9 and kicking a FG. It was blocked and cornelius Bennet ran it  back 80 yards for  a TD.Two plays after the kickoff, Leonard Smith intercepted a batted ball for a pick-six. The XP was blocked. After that kickoff,  Elway fumbled the ball at his own 4.Kenneth Davis scored on the next play.

I remember the date cause the next day, I was telling my father about the game while visiting him in the oncology ward at Mercy Hospital.  He died about 15 minutes later..

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Sad 11
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 10

Those were the days......ole Horsey face was mightly bummed about that turn of events.  The whole team played like CRAP that day but those TO's were key.  IIRC the Bills only actually had one offensive TD....the rest of the points were those TO's.....maybe a Norwide kick was in there too......damn it sux getting old!

I remember it as well. We took our two  month old daughter out of the house for the first time and went to a local park for a picnic lunch. I listened to the game on  the national radio broadcast. That little baby is now thirty with a kid of her own and another on the way. Thanks for allowing me to remember a really great afternoon in the park. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I was in college watching that game. It says it was a Sunday but for some reason I thought it was a night game.

you might be thinking of a Sunday night game with Oakland that same year when the Bills had another great comeback.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Damn were those years fun!

@NedFlanders - thanks for posting the video, it brought back a lot of memories.  Biscuit, Bruce, Talley, Kenneth Davis, Leonard Smith etc.  That team was loaded.  The reference to Rick Dennison was good for a laugh too.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Thank you for that lovely trip down memory lane!  I remember this game well.  I was a senior in high school, living down in Mobile, Alabama.  Needless to say we didn't get many Bills games down there that year, and we didn't get this one. But I remember the game I was watching, when they went to a game break, they showed the 3 touchdowns in 77 seconds, and I just remember whooping and hollering....

I still get goosebumps watching that....

Edited by smuvtalker

4 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

You see and hear who let Odoms get through for the blocked kick? Rick Dennison, underachieving since his playing days. 

56 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

LOL at 1:46:10 and the commentary on the FG block: "Again its on Rick Dennison, #55. He was cut 3 weeks ago and brought back"

:lol: I didn't even allow myself to get far enough down to read your comment before posting mine. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

One of the most memorable games I attended as a kid.  Not sure I remember Rich Stadium ever being louder than during that 77 second stretch.  All of the fans just hugging and high fiving.  Great times.

Same, I was 11 and there. Whenever anyone refers to the Super Bowl years, the first image that immediately pops into my mind every time is the memories from this game and the visual of Biscuit standing there, waiting on the popped up block kick for what seems like eternity before snatching it hustling up field for the TD. The crowd going nuts and having to hop up onto my seat to keep watching. Then the subsequent scoring onslaught.

I can remember it all like it was yesterday, clear as day. Funny enough, I cant tell you what I had for lunch yesterday though...

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1