Mopeds-Scooters?

plenzmd1

Wife and i moving into a more city area in November. Want to get a moped, 50CC or under so no insurance or registration. Cant see ever taking it over a mile, maybe two occasionally. Any body have any experience. I rode a buddies Honda Metropolitan on Saturday, it was nice, but seems a little pricey compared to other models and wonder if paying for name. 

TIA

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Wife and i moving into a more city area in November. Want to get a moped, 50CC or under so no insurance or registration. Cant see ever taking it over a mile, maybe two occasionally. Any body have any experience. I rode a buddies Honda Metropolitan on Saturday, it was nice, but seems a little pricey compared to other models and wonder if paying for name. 

TIA

No experience with scooters, but I know a Renaissance Man when I see one.  

Only suggestion is get liability insurance if you can.  If you’re tooling along at 14 mph and your saddle bag catches the little old lady in the hip, you’re on the hook dawg.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

TIA

I ride a scooter every day to work about 3 miles each way. All 50cc scooters are about the exact same, it's all about maintenance to the engine. You keep the engine running and good oil changes every 1k miles or few months depending on how often it sits you will have a scooter for a few years before you need to replace. Had mine for 3 years now, I pay $2-3 in gas every 2 weeks. So much better than driving my truck to work everyday.

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

No experience with scooters, but I know a Renaissance Man when I see one.  

Only suggestion is get liability insurance if you can.  If you’re tooling along at 14 mph and your saddle bag catches the little old lady in the hip, you’re on the hook dawg.  

50cc scooters can go up to 45-50mph depending on your weight. I am a bigger guy so mine goes around 40-45 and with wind to my back I can hit 45-50.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TBBills said:

I ride a scooter every day to work about 3 miles each way. All 50cc scooters are about the exact same, it's all about maintenance to the engine. You keep the engine running and good oil changes every 1k miles or few months depending on how often it sits you will have a scooter for a few years before you need to replace. Had mine for 3 years now, I pay $2-3 in gas every 2 weeks. So much better than driving my truck to work everyday.

thank you! What brand do you have? If i had my druthers, want one with as big a cargo space as possible...see beer runs and grocery store runs occurring quite often!

BTW, easy enough to change oil on your own i am assuming. Dump here takes waste oil so i have a place to dispose 

Edited by plenzmd1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

TIA

I've always wanted a Vespa or something of the sort. There are two reasons I have yet to get one:

Helmet hair: I will wear a helmet (though not required in Florida), but I don't have the right kind of hair for any hat. Completely screws up my coif. :rolleyes:

I drink: 'nuff said

But I live about a mile from downtown and it would be nice to just scoot down and park easily. Still considering it.

There's a couple that rides through my neighborhood each day, the husband on a moped and the wife on one of those rascal style scooters that you would see in a supermarket.  There has to be some crazy modifications to the latter because she has to be moving at around at least 20 mph on the thing.  You could get one of those things.😁

• Haha (+1) 1

Best advice I could give is to go with one of the known brands. Spares will be much more readily available, and the build quality is generally much better.

I wouldn't necessarily buy new either. Like just about any form of motorized transport, depreciation hits hard for the first couple of years.

Something a couple of years old from a respectable dealer, should be more than ample for what appears to be limited needs/mileage.

I also strongly advise wearing a helmet. Tarmac is a lot harder than you, and even a small impact on your head, is dangerous. A good pair of proper motorcycle gloves I would also recommend, as your hand is likely to be the first thing that hits the deck if you drop it. ;)

I would also avoid any form of the stand up scooters (not the Vespa types or moped equivalents), as imho, they are an accident waiting to happen. I ride a motorcycle daily as my only form of transport, but those scooters I think are dangerous as all hell. No seat = avoid imho.

Edited by Buddo
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, shrader said:

There's a couple that rides through my neighborhood each day, the husband on a moped and the wife on one of those rascal style scooters that you would see in a supermarket.  There has to be some crazy modifications to the latter because she has to be moving at around at least 20 mph on the thing.  You could get one of those things.😁

She probably has gout from eating too much liver......

Look what the school nurse got for me today! : KingOfTheHill

16 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

hqdefault.jpg

You beat me to it.

Fat Twins On Mini-Bikes (a Rome favorite) - Stucknut Forum

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Thanks..but man that thing pricey..

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

I've always wanted a Vespa or something of the sort. There are two reasons I have yet to get one:

Helmet hair: I will wear a helmet (though not required in Florida), but I don't have the right kind of hair for any hat. Completely screws up my coif. :rolleyes:

I drink: 'nuff said

But I live about a mile from downtown and it would be nice to just scoot down and park easily. Still considering it.

I drink too...more for the store runs etc...sure there will be some mornings i wake up though and say damn, prolly should not have taken the scooter home last night!

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

TIA

You looked comfortable trying out some bikes. I recommend that you get a bike with heavy duty springs.  🤡

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fat+person+on+moped&docid=608015499341533134&mid=6039936EB40FB8BCB4986039936EB40FB8BCB498&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Edited by JohnC

When my daughter was at U of South Carolina she needed one. We ended up with a Italiajet T50, nice little ride, made by Vespa. I still have it since she moved back to NY and wouldn't be caught dead on it. Cheap on gas, it was a 2 stroke, so no need for oil changes. Everyone at the school had the cheap chinese ones they would lease for the year. Not bad, but they were basically a disposable moped. As someone said earlier, buy the better names (Honda,Yamaha, Vespa) and stay away from the chinese crap.

Just my 2 cents

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

thank you! What brand do you have? If i had my druthers, want one with as big a cargo space as possible...see beer runs and grocery store runs occurring quite often!

BTW, easy enough to change oil on your own i am assuming. Dump here takes waste oil so i have a place to dispose 

Yea it probably is, I just take mine to the scooter place I got it to change the oil.

I got a Peace Sports 50cc and never had any problems, I do know you can buy a cargo boxes that attach onto the back of the scooters. 

Should be big enough for your beer

k38-4704_1.jpg

• 16" L x 15-1/2" W x 12" H
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thanks..but man that thing pricey..

I drink too...more for the store runs etc...sure there will be some mornings i wake up though and say damn, prolly should not have taken the scooter home last night!

First rule: Be safe!

No such thing as a minor fender bender on a scooter. I had a buddy who would ride one to tennis, followed by a few beers. Scared the crap out of me seeing him leave knowing he had a couple miles between our neighborhoods on a busy road. 

I hope the OTB is walking distance! Is that how you picked the location?  :)