RIP Helen Reddy

CowgirlsFan

26 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

might be too soon, but when ever Helen Reddy sang 'I am Woman' and the line 'with numbers too big to ignore', in my mind she was talking about her boobs....is that wrong????

Wrong on so many levels.  Like ogling your sister.  But "I am Woman" is probably a guilty pleasure for many men if the truth be told.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

might be too soon, but when ever Helen Reddy sang 'I am Woman' and the line 'with numbers too big to ignore', in my mind she was talking about her boobs....is that wrong????

Not sure, but I remember seeing her a couple times on TV in the 70’s sans bra, always liked her.

RIP.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Poojer said:

When I was a kid, my best friend and I would always make up juvenile lyrics for the pop songs of the day...it was "I am woman, hear me roar, with boobies too big to ignore".

We had lots of other silly things like that, but this one in particular, was pretty epic in its' simplicity, and how antithetical it was to the meaning of the song.  I remember my friends mother getting really exasperated, saying "That is extremely, extremely inappropriate young man!". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Wacka said:

I believe she had dimentia and lived in the Actor's Home in LA for a few years.

Did you ever read about Kris Kristofferson...They thought he had early onset Alzheimer's... It was finally diagnosed as Lyme disease.   Doesn't know when, but they guess it was early 2000s on a set. Took 10 years or so to properly diagnose...So I recall reading.  Crazy!

Having reviewed some Helen Reddy material while at lunch yesterday she was quite the show woman.  Especially looking at her performance of "I am woman" on the old Midnight Special from the early 1970's.  Like others here I was very young to really have taken much notice of Reddy especially when you only had AM radio to follow performances with for the most part.  She leaves women such as Madonna in the dust.  Reddy had to do more with tighter practices and censorship via record companies and broadcast sources than Madonna who was free to gesture and parade in her underwear.