Vegas Players Violate Virus Protocol

par73
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please keep discussion in this thread narrowly focused on Football and issues related to Football.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

image.thumb.jpeg.e7b0795b5353bbe5c670029253258d3c.jpeg

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

The reality is that masking isn’t a perfect fix to the solution anyways (especially given most people’s masking which involves adjustments, taking it off occasionally, etc) so they could have been exposed whether or not they followed the guidelines. Point being, any player could be at any point shedding virus during a game. Obviously we want to mitigate risk, but there’s only so much that can be done and at this point the main thing is testing and going from there. I expect (barring a positive test) that everything will be fine. 

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports:

"The NFL and NFL Players Association, which mutually agreed to strict COVID-19 protocols before the start of the season, have been in contact regarding the situation as the players appear to have violated some of the agreed-upon stipulations.

"Failure to follow those guidelines, NFL Executive Vice President Troy Vincent has said, could result in the 'suspension of persons involved, and/or the forfeiture of a draft choice.' The Raiders await word from the NFL on potential penalties."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, scribo said:

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports:

"The NFL and NFL Players Association, which mutually agreed to strict COVID-19 protocols before the start of the season, have been in contact regarding the situation as the players appear to have violated some of the agreed-upon stipulations.

"Failure to follow those guidelines, NFL Executive Vice President Troy Vincent has said, could result in the 'suspension of persons involved, and/or the forfeiture of a draft choice.' The Raiders await word from the NFL on potential penalties."

I wouldn't hold your breath on any action happening soon.

Suspension of all 10 players is absolutely called for in this case. There is no way around it. If it isn't done, there are not rules. These players violated multiple rules, all of which are clearly tied to reason to suspend.

This is much more than not wearing the masks, which only protect others around them. They attended an indoor event that violated local regulations. They attended an indoor event that had more than 10 people. They attended an event at which others were not wearing the appropriate PPP. They did not abide by the mandated social distancing rules. They clearly broke just about every rule the NFLPA agreed to.

Nice breakdown at https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/raiders-10/.

Edited by scribo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, scribo said:

Suspension of all 10 players is absolutely called for in this case. There is no way around it. If it isn't done, there are not rules. These players violated multiple rules, all of which are clearly tied to reason to suspend.

This is much more than not wearing the masks, which only protect others around them. They attended an indoor event that violated local regulations. They attended an indoor event that had more than 10 people. They attended an event at which others were not wearing the appropriate PPP. They did not abide by the mandated social distancing rules.

Nice breakdown at https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/raiders-10/.

Appropriate PPP??😳 Isn’t that an oxymoron?😉

I’m all for suspending the lot of them just before we play them! Then, whoop on a depleted Titans team with as few as 4 days to prepare.

WE just have to be careful.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Did you even bother to read the rest of the post? 

Yes, and the impression I got from it was, "Well, masks aren't perfect and there's all these other sources of risk, so it doesn't matter anyway."

• Like (+1) 1

gotta love how the idiot fans are as informed as the raiders..   "it no big deal". "If they test okay they play" "nothing to see here" "That idiot Florio just went on a 20 minute rant with Simms about this. He wants the Raiders facility shut down for 2 days. He wants all the players suspended" 

I have to say if I were the bills I would be putting up some serious Stink about this...   If that gets passed to our Team it could end our season.  That's bull#### the NFL is not in control of this! 

Edited by gordong
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Yes, and the impression I got from it was, "Well, masks aren't perfect and there's all these other sources of risk, so it doesn't matter anyway."

Okay so it’s your capacity to understand what you read that is the problem.

What my point was, as I clearly stated, is that while frustration with the Raiders makes sense, those crying for the game to be cancelled are doing so out of panic and not a logical understanding of the situation. Had they gone with masks on they could have been infected anyways making the only thing standing between an infected raiders player and a bills player being those daily tests. Short of a full bubble (which seems impossible for the NFL) there is inherent risk in this. So we use our best practices (testing) to avoid risk when possible.

I’m fine with the Raiders getting fined, but unless there’s tangible reason to believe they were exposed/are infected the hot takes here are just that. 

Just now, Gene1973 said:

Yeah, the calls for suspending all those players and/or cancelling the game is very absurd.  If they test negative they play. They should be fined however.

That’s fine, and I would be fine with a suspension If that was clearly laid out in the agreement they made to play- but I doubt it included first violation suspensions. 

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Okay so it’s your capacity to understand what you read that is the problem.

What my point was, as I clearly stated, is that while frustration with the Raiders makes sense, those crying for the game to be cancelled are doing so out of panic and not a logical understanding of the situation. Had they gone with masks on they could have been infected anyways making the only thing standing between an infected raiders player and a bills player being those daily tests. Short of a full bubble (which seems impossible for the NFL) there is inherent risk in this. So we use our best practices (testing) to avoid risk when possible.

I’m fine with the Raiders getting fined, but unless there’s tangible reason to believe they were exposed/are infected the hot takes here are just that. 

I'm not asking them to cancel the game, but the ten players should be suspended, for two reasons: 1) they clearly violated the rules, and 2) it could take up to two weeks before an infection results in a positive test. Testing is the third best practice, after social distancing and wearing a mask. Had the players worn masks, they would have drastically reduced their risk and, by extension, the risk of everyone they come into contact with, including their next opponent.

And attempting to insult my reading comprehension doesn't lend any credibility to your argument.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Appropriate PPP??😳 Isn’t that an oxymoron?😉

I’m all for suspending the lot of them just before we play them! Then, whoop on a depleted Titans team with as few as 4 days to prepare.

WE just have to be careful.

I'm using the exact wording from the NFL-NFLPA agreement. But, yeah, I agree.

17 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Yeah, the calls for suspending all those players and/or cancelling the game is very absurd.  If they test negative they play. They should be fined however.

It is only absurd if the NFL and NFLA believe their agreement is absurd. They both agreed that behavior like this would be punished with suspensions. Agreements and rules only matter if they are enforced.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

I'm not asking them to cancel the game, but the ten players should be suspended, for two reasons: 1) they clearly violated the rules, and 2) it could take up to two weeks before an infection results in a positive test. Testing is the third best practice, after social distancing and wearing a mask. Had the players worn masks, they would have drastically reduced their risk and, by extension, the risk of everyone they come into contact with, including their next opponent.

And attempting to insult my reading comprehension doesn't lend any credibility to your argument.

1- violation of the rule doesn’t deserve a suspension unless it’s pre-determined that that’s the punishment. I’m fine with a suspension if it is, but the NFL can’t unilaterally punish as they please. We’ll see what happens.

2- That’s where your argument breaks down. You and others are assuming that just because they were there without masks they are definitely more likely to have the virus than anyone else. It’s not accurate. Unless there is evidence that they came into contact with the virus, there’s no real reason to treat them differently. If Josh Allen tomorrow goes and does a public appearance or what have you, and wears the mask constantly, and someone he’s close to has the virus, we would still fall back on the testing to determine if he’s able to play or not. Potential risk of exposure is worthless in a pandemic. The Falcons had a dude test positive after playing at practice and it was determined they were able to play because they all passed the tests the next day! There’s only so much that can be done.

We can be mad at the Raiders that they didn’t wear masks, but their not wearing masks does not mean they are infected. That’s what testing is for.

I wasn’t insulting your reading comprehension, I was simply pointing out that you didn’t use it. It’s not about lending credibility, it’s about pointing to the fact that I voiced my opinion, and then you got hyperbolic without understanding my opinion and what I was saying. Poor reading comprehension.

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I wasn’t insulting your reading comprehension, I was simply pointing out that you didn’t use it. It’s not about lending credibility, it’s about pointing to the fact that I voiced my opinion, and then you got hyperbolic without understanding my opinion and what I was saying. Poor reading comprehension.

I'm done.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

1- violation of the rule doesn’t deserve a suspension unless it’s pre-determined that that’s the punishment. I’m fine with a suspension if it is, but the NFL can’t unilaterally punish as they please. We’ll see what happens.

2- That’s where your argument breaks down. You and others are assuming that just because they were there without masks they are definitely more likely to have the virus than anyone else. It’s not accurate. Unless there is evidence that they came into contact with the virus, there’s no real reason to treat them differently. If Josh Allen tomorrow goes and does a public appearance or what have you, and wears the mask constantly, and someone he’s close to has the virus, we would still fall back on the testing to determine if he’s able to play or not. Potential risk of exposure is worthless in a pandemic. The Falcons had a dude test positive after playing at practice and it was determined they were able to play because they all passed the tests the next day! There’s only so much that can be done.

We can be mad at the Raiders that they didn’t wear masks, but their not wearing masks does not mean they are infected. That’s what testing is for.

To me it comes down to them breaking the law and breaking the NFL and NFLPA determined protocol, along with the predetermined actions that should be taken from such violations, whatever those were.

Given the break in protocol, I think it makes perfect sense for them to have to quarantine for the 8 day incubation period, which doesn't have anything to do with discipline. But that doesn't seem like it will happen. My guess is they will just be fined, which sets bad precedent, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

I don't think it is that simple given the incubation period that can last up to 8 days.

• Simon locked this topic