Vegas Players Violate Virus Protocol

par73
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please keep discussion in this thread narrowly focused on Football and issues related to Football.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Buddo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if other situations arose, similarly, but the bottom line in this is that guys are acting totally selfishly, and not only potentially putting lives at risk, but also putting livelihoods at risk, both on their team, and other teams.

It's kind of ironic how often they're getting called out for being "selfish" as the violation occurred while attending a teammate's charity event for a great cause.  I don't necessarily disagree (I'd probably call it stupid rather than selfish) but it just strikes me as funny.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I get that concept, but how does that work when we just saw a player last week test positive on Thursday, presumably within minutes or hours of interacting with teammates, and all those players were able to play Sunday?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just don’t understand how that works. The NFL must have some kind of way of believing they can know if positive test is going to = spread or not. I assume that’s via negative tests, but maybe I’m wrong?

In AJ Terrell’s case he was the only one who needed to be isolated because no other “close contacts” were identified. That is defined as being within 6 feet with no PPE for 15 min or more. That is tracked by bracelets that the players and staff wear. Hs tested positive overnight on Friday, was isolated, all other player Tests came back negative Sat and Sun. But it goes back to the contact tracing. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

In AJ Terrell’s case he was the only one who needed to be isolated because no other “close contacts” were identified. That is defined as being within 6 feet with no PPE for 15 min or more. That is tracked by bracelets that the players and staff wear. Hs tested positive overnight on Friday, was isolated, all other player Tests came back negative Sat and Sun. But it goes back to the contact tracing. 

So the part where they were practicing earlier in the day that he tested positive, presumably involving physical contact with one another, and that doesn't make it seem like those guys could get it from him? 

Just now, whatdrought said:

So the part where they were practicing earlier in the day that he tested positive, presumably involving physical contact with one another, and that doesn't make it seem like those guys could get it from him? 

Outdoors or even in open-air settings, no, for brief exposure periods, you cannot get it in that manner. 

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It has to meet that criteria that was established by the CDC (not just in the NFL, but schools, etc) and they actually track it with monitoring 

Edited by YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Outdoors or even in open-air settings, no, for brief exposure periods, you cannot get it in that manner. 

That's not entirely true. Strenuous physical activity will increase respiratory droplets and expulsion further distances. It should be presumed that increased respiration would effectively increase the distancing and decrease the contact time, likely by 2, respectively. 

The only saving grace would be an outdoor practice field and natural ventilation. But even then, these players are face mask to face mask a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nkreed said:

That's not entirely true. Strenuous physical activity will increase respiratory droplets and expulsion further distances. It should be presumed that increased respiration would effectively increase the distancing and decrease the contact time, likely by 2, respectively. 

The only saving grace would be an outdoor practice field and natural ventilation. But even then, these players are face mask to face mask a lot.

Sure. But the ventilation and minimal exposure time reduce whatever risk is posed by the increase in respiratory droplets. Hence why the CDC and every other medical professional that has looked at the protocols agree they suit the risk posed. 

OK, folks, while the discussion is mostly couched in football relevant terms, we're kind of straying away into general discussion of incubation period, what constitutes a close contact, relative infection risk, sensitivity of tests etc etc.  I'm going to shut this down pending input from Da Man.

REQUEST: does anyone have a copy of a report of the reasons behind the NFL/NFLPA rules?  I'm thinking that having this available would be useful.

If anyone hears new gouge, PM me and I'll put it up

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

You put an emoji there as if you're joking, but this is exactly what SHOULD happen.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they were. I put the emoji because it would basically guarantee us a victory. ;)