Vegas Players Violate Virus Protocol

par73
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please keep discussion in this thread narrowly focused on Football and issues related to Football.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wouldn’t say they took it more seriously, they just feasibly could bubble for 8 weeks (or whatever it is) to stage a playoff and made it happen. The nfl could not bubble. 

They then suspended players that violated the rules, and wound up with very few rules violations (the most notable being a player who had outside contact with 1 person.)

If the NFL were going to take it as seriously, every Raider who was at that event would be suspended for two weeks (and longer for any players who eventually test positive.)

• Like (+1) 1

Doesn’t science show that as long as all the Raiders tests come back negative, at least for those playing/present... that it’s highly unlikely anyone is contagious, even if they test positive the next day?

OK, folks, not the right place to discuss covid-19 incubation period, when people start being contagious, or the sensitivity and selectivity of different tests.  Somewhere Else, Not Here -mod]

As we’ve seen though, the Vikings have to disrupt their week just in case, and that’s obviously not ideal.  

Just as a reminder or to those that have not read the latest understanding from researchers on COVID:

"How soon after I'm infected with the new coronavirus will I start to be contagious?

The time from exposure to symptom onset (known as the incubation period) is thought to be three to 14 days, though symptoms typically appear within four or five days after exposure.

We know that a person with COVID-19 may be contagious 48 to 72 hours before starting to experience symptoms. Emerging research suggests that people may actually be most likely to spread the virus to others during the 48 hours before they start to experience symptoms"

source is Harvard Health Publishing  https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/if-youve-been-exposed-to-the-coronavirus  (scroll way down to get to this quote)

Now, players are being tested everyday so, if any players caught the virus Monday night, there is reason to hope they will test positive by Saturday. If they do not, and are actually infected, one can feel somewhat reassured the window between not testing positive YET and STILL BEING CONTAGIOUS is a narrow window. To be clear, yes, one can test negative and be contagious but it is more typical that a person tests positive, before having symptoms in this frequent testing environment, prior to being  contagious.

Having said this, I am furious that these players did this and now the Bills are now at risk playing them this Sunday (however small the risk).

-Rich

OK, folks, not the right place to discuss covid-19 incubation period, when people start being contagious, or the sensitivity and selectivity of different tests.  Somewhere Else, Not Here -mod]

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Zay Jones was there, but he was unlikely to catch it. Nathan Peterman was also there, but there’s no telling who might have caught it from him! 

Anyone from an opposing team could have caught it from Peterman...

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Here is the rule and consequences, for reference 

Church isn't high risk? I am telling you sometimes believing in a God is actually bad for your health.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Here is the rule and consequences, for reference 

It's good to see that players can be suspended, but baffling to me that the punishment comes from "The Club" if I'm reading it right.  Would the Raiders under any circumstances suspend Derek Carr and how many other players for this week?

The League needs to step in and hold people accountable in a real way.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Could it be a lot of the players are getting relaxed (or tired) with the hole virus thing ? I sure hope it doesn't hit the Bills !! 

Or could it be a conspiracy 🤔 to get Josh on the covid thing before the Titans have to play the Bills (don't open any packages you don't know where they came from Josh) because they all know how potent the offense is with him at the helm and want to stop talking about him HMMM ?? 

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

The issue is that they can be carriers for like 10 days I believe without testing positive which is concerning.  The Bills will be exposed to both teams in back to back weeks that could put them at risk.

This is either not true, or the entire process of the league is missing something as two teams have had positive tests within a week of a game - one played, and one is seemingly on track to play. 

So either you’re wrong or the league is. No offense but I have a feeling it’s you. 😛 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Turk71 said:

There is no way those players should be allowed anywhere near the Bills, who are following  protocol to protect the game. No Way. I would insist on it if I were the Bills.

Also, the teams that break protocol should get no special considerations regarding making up games that can't be played. If you break protocol and the team can't play you forfeit. If they don't keep teams accountable the whole season could be lost.

This, THS THIS.

Pegs needs to layeth down the smacketh. This is absurd. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

That being said- I get the frustration and I get the idea of making an example of them, but if they all test negative Saturday shouldn’t it be business as usual?

[OK, so answering the "negative Saturday....biz as usual" question WOULD involve getting into covid details we're trying to avoid on the main board.  Ditto discussion of relative sensitivity of tests, false negatives, incubation period, infectivity window relative to symptoms.  Somewhere else, not here.  Try to limit this to the situation and the NFL/NFLPA's rules]

But as far as the "make an example of them", IMO @JGMcD2's point is valid.  If there are no impactful consequences to the team for violating the collectively bargained rules, what's the point in having those rules?  It allows a team that does everything right to have their season impacted by playing a game with a team which thumbs their noses at the rules.

Players chose to opt out or stay in based on risk management from the rules.  If the rules aren't followed and there aren't football consequences, that risk management goes "pfffft".  [This is not an invite to debate actual covid risks or the risk management choices which are clearly beyond the scope - go elsewhere for that.]  The point is, if a guy takes a roofing job on the understanding that a scaffold and fall protection will be used, and you get to the job site and it's one ladder and no fall protection, That Aint Right, regardless of whether you personally prefer ladders and don't believe fall protection is useful.

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's right on the borderline. It takes 3-5 days after exposure to test positive. Therefore, if I'm Buffalo, I am TICKED OFF if these players are on the field. It's just too tight of a window -- not to mention that these players are likely interacting with other players AS WE SPEAK, so the 3-5 day window just keeps getting pushed back.

I get that concept, but how does that work when we just saw a player last week test positive on Thursday, presumably within minutes or hours of interacting with teammates, and all those players were able to play Sunday?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just don’t understand how that works. The NFL must have some kind of way of believing they can know if positive test is going to = spread or not. I assume that’s via negative tests, but maybe I’m wrong?

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I get that concept, but how does that work when we just saw a player last week test positive on Thursday, presumably within minutes or hours of interacting with teammates, and all those players were able to play Sunday?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just don’t understand how that works. The NFL must have some kind of way of believing they can know if positive test is going to = spread or not. I assume that’s via negative tests, but maybe I’m wrong?

Yes, very puzzling that that was allowed to happen, unless there's something that the general public is not privy to.

8 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

The players in attendance should be forced to sit out this week. They shouldn't be eligible for return until they pass COVID tests over a 10 day period. They would be eligible to return for week 5.

I don't see any other way to do it... I am serious. I understand it was a charitable event... but when the rules say you're banned from attending any event that "violates local and state restrictions" and then there are fines levied on the event, "The city of Henderson fined the country club $2,000 on Tuesday for four violations of the Nevada governor's COVID-19 emergency directives, including people not wearing masks and having more than 50 people at the event. The club has 30 days to pay or dispute the fine." 

There needs to be serious punishment and protocol put in place to make sure these players don't potentially put their teammates... and the Bills players at risk of losing their season.

I agree but I would go further.   IMO, the Raiders as an organization aren't taking Covid protocols seriously despite the $250,000 fine as evidenced by their players' actions even after the big fines from Week 2.  Not allowing the players to practice or play until they're proven covid free would be an appropriate punishment for the Raiders team, but I would also fine each of the players involved an amount equal to one game check which the league should donate to local charities like food banks.    The players' irresponsible actions could potentially endanger the future of the entire 2020 NFL season, and they need to feel some personal pain for their personal choices.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, par73 said:

In light of what happened with Tennessee today, hopefully this will not impact Sunday's game. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30005476/las-vegas-raiders-looking-why-players-were-masks-charity-event

It would be a shame to suspend those players. Yup, a real shame.

The NFL needs to bring the hammer down on any early covid 'misdemeanors'. It seems it's the only way players get the message (generally).

It's one thing to get it by happenstance, as it were, it's another entirely to not be following rules and procedures.

I wouldn't be surprised if other situations arose, similarly, but the bottom line in this is that guys are acting totally selfishly, and not only potentially putting lives at risk, but also putting livelihoods at risk, both on their team, and other teams.