Vegas Players Violate Virus Protocol

par73
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please keep discussion in this thread narrowly focused on Football and issues related to Football.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

Wow. I think they also need to conduct IQ tests for those players and anyone involved.

Something tells me that Gruden (who was already fined for not wearing a mask properly on the sideline) has not been taking this seriously. He seems like the football jock type that thinks it's all a bunch of bull crap.

Teams like this are going to ruin it for everyone. Bring down the hammer on them so everyone sees that you can't do this crap.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It does seem as though there need to be some teeth in the rules to make players and coaches take them seriously.

I'd say more but we're (on the Mod side) still trying to sort out where the line is between football-relevant news about rule breaking players, and opening the door to general covid-19 discussion. 

But the key point is: players and teams who are doing everything right, can have their team's success and their own health put at risk by players and teams who are not taking it seriously, and that ain't right.  Yeah, they're all tested on Saturday before the game Sunday (or tested the day before they play) but no clinical test is 100%.

The NBA and MLB came down hard early against players who violated protocols. The result: COVID-19 did not derail their seasons.

Besides, nothing better than a bunch of Raiders being ineligible to play this weekend. Not that that has anything to do with my opinion ...

54 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Derek Carr

Nathan Peterman

Zay Jones

Jason Witten

Foster Moreau

Derek Carrier

Darren Waller

Nevin Lawson

All of those guys on top of 

image.png.c171c7cc079dd8e856e71d2647e5155f.png

Could the raiders even field a team?

Forfeit!

Or even better: Peterman!

EDIT: Damn, just noticed Peterman is on the list.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

According to an attendee at the Waller event, people were allowed in without filling out any COVID-19 questionnaire or getting their temperatures taken.

Seriously this pisses me off. On the one hand if this gets us a free win(which yes a wins a win) I'll be angry that I didn't get to see Allen light the Raiders up in a dome plus it'll ***** all of his numbers up for the year.

On the other hand if they don't do anything I'll be extremely annoyed and if something happens to our players following this game I'll probably explode.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden, who recently revealed that he had recovered from the virus, has made dealing with COVID-19 a high priority for his team, often saying he wants to “crush” the virus.

So that whole fire drill he pulled was just a bunch of bull####?

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

The players in attendance should be forced to sit out this week. They shouldn't be eligible for return until they pass COVID tests over a 10 day period. They would be eligible to return for week 5.

I don't see any other way to do it... I am serious. I understand it was a charitable event... but when the rules say you're banned from attending any event that "violates local and state restrictions" and then there are fines levied on the event, "The city of Henderson fined the country club $2,000 on Tuesday for four violations of the Nevada governor's COVID-19 emergency directives, including people not wearing masks and having more than 50 people at the event. The club has 30 days to pay or dispute the fine." 

There needs to be serious punishment and protocol put in place to make sure these players don't potentially put their teammates... and the Bills players at risk of losing their season.

Can't see it happening, but yeah, it makes total sense. Instead, though, money will rule as it does pretty much every time at the league level.

• Like (+1) 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/29/raiders-fail-to-wear-masks-at-public-event-potentially-putting-them-in-hot-water/

The league can fine players for violating its personal responsibility rules.

It doesn't mention suspension as a possible penalty unfortunately.  The NBA took this stuff seriously, and that's why they were able to play a full season.  If the NFL doesn't (take it seriously) they won't (have a full season.)

They also just had this in the news a day earlier.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nfl-investigating-raiders-for-violating-covid-19-protocols-144124035.html

C'mon Raiders, get your ***** together.

I agree with the comments to suspend these guys from a game if it’s in the CBA, and lose a game check.  Guaranteed, no one else in the league does it again.  They should not be penalized if they test positive, but follow all of the protocols, etc.

The penalty has to be enough to deter future actions by the players.

• Like (+1) 1

Not to get into the minutia of how the testing/virus works, but last week we saw a player in a locker room test positive on like Thursday or something like that. When everyone else tested negative on Saturday they were deemed fit to play. 

Additionally, the Titans had a mini outbreak on Monday and the plan seems to be that If everyone passes tests throughout the week they will play. 

That being said- I get the frustration and I get the idea of making an example of them, but if they all test negative Saturday shouldn’t it be business as usual?

• Like (+1) 2

I think the players should be fined if they broke the rule of the CBA. It really appears that the organization lacks control around the approach to this given gruden’s lack of mask and subsequent fine, and the investigation into them not following protocol with the facility. But they are tested daily, and the event was Monday. So if they test positive, they won’t be playing. If not, they will. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Captain Caveman said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/29/raiders-fail-to-wear-masks-at-public-event-potentially-putting-them-in-hot-water/

It doesn't mention suspension as a possible penalty unfortunately.  The NBA took this stuff seriously, and that's why they were able to play a full season.  If the NFL doesn't (take it seriously) they won't (have a full season.)

They also just had this in the news a day earlier.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nfl-investigating-raiders-for-violating-covid-19-protocols-144124035.html

C'mon Raiders, get your ***** together.

NBA played in a bubble tho.....

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the players should be fined if they broke the rule of the CBA. It really appears that the organization lacks control around the approach to this given gruden’s lack of mask and subsequent fine, and the investigation into them not following protocol with the facility. But they are tested daily, and the event was Monday. So if they test positive, they won’t be playing. If not, they will. 

The issue is that they can be carriers for like 10 days I believe without testing positive which is concerning.  The Bills will be exposed to both teams in back to back weeks that could put them at risk.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

NBA played in a bubble tho.....

Yeah, that's kind of my point.  They took it more seriously from the beginning.  Also they had severe punishment when players didn't follow the rules.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-nba/rockets-forward-house-ejected-from-nba-bubble-for-unauthorized-guest-idUSKBN26232H

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Yeah, that's kind of my point.  They took it more seriously from the beginning.  Also they had severe punishment when players didn't follow the rules.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-nba/rockets-forward-house-ejected-from-nba-bubble-for-unauthorized-guest-idUSKBN26232H

I wouldn’t say they took it more seriously, they just feasibly could bubble for 8 weeks (or whatever it is) to stage a playoff and made it happen. The nfl could not bubble. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

The issue is that they can be carriers for like 10 days I believe without testing positive which is concerning.  The Bills will be exposed to both teams in back to back weeks that could put them at risk.

The rapid daily antigen tests are so sensitive that the y can detect the virus before it is even contagious. Is that what they are using? I know that’s what the big ten is using I assume nfl has the same 

[OK, folks, not the right place to discuss covid-19 incubation period, when people start being contagious, or the sensitivity and selectivity of different tests.  Somewhere Else, Not Here -mod]

• Like (+1) 2