Football Outsiders DVOA Ratings

Coach Tuesday

It’s funny.  I’ve always held to the belief...

QB/Arm Talent and you can win it all.

while the status quo usually in upstate New York is run the ball and defense wins championships.

well the team doesn’t run the ball and the defense is floundering against weak opponents.

Hwre we are.  Time to see what happens 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Only Hall of Fame QB on the list.

Aikman is a career 61.5% completion guy. He threw 165 TDs and 141 INTs. Averaged about 7 yards/attempt, career 82 rating, 5.66 ANY/A

If you think Aikman is the best case scenario for Allen you quite simply don't know what you're talking about.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Aikman is a career 61.5% completion guy. He threw 165 TDs and 141 INTs. Averaged about 7 yards/attempt, career 82 rating, 5.66 ANY/A

If you think Aikman is the best case scenario for Allen you quite simply don't know what you're talking about.

Different era's. He's overrated yes, played on great teams. But he's still a hall of fame QB so I'm guessing that's what is meant by best case. 

10 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

It’s funny.  I’ve always held to the belief...

QB/Arm Talent and you can win it all.

while the status quo usually in upstate New York is run the ball and defense wins championships.

well the team doesn’t run the ball and the defense is floundering against weak opponents.

Hwre we are.  Time to see what happens 

Truthfully, this is what a lot of posters have been begging for and for years now. They've wanted a gun-slinger franchise QB and an upper echelon passing attack offense . Give us a guy who can go out and win games with his arm. A guy who we know can, and more than likely will, be able to drive the team down the field on a last second game winning drive in a shootout. Josh is all of these things and the pieces they have put around him have made us THAT offense. It's a wonderful time to be a Bills fan considering all we have endured over the last 20 years. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Truthfully, this is what a lot of posters have been begging for and for years now. They've wanted a gun-slinger franchise QB and an upper echelon passing attack offense . Give us a guy who can go out and win games with his arm. A guy who we know can, and more than likely will, be able to drive the team down the field on a last second game winning drive in a shootout. Josh is all of these things and the pieces they have put around him have made us THAT offense. It's a wonderful time to be a Bills fan considering all we have endured over the last 20 years. :thumbsup:

Right on!

because it’s fun!  It’s a “sport” for them.  For us (speaking for myself) it is entertainment.  They win or lose nothing really happens.

So...

Win/Lose 35-32 that is fine.

Win/Lose 13-7...fold the league. (Unless playoffs lol)

2 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Right on!

because it’s fun!  It’s a “sport” for them.  For us (speaking for myself) it is entertainment.  They win or lose nothing really happens.

So...

Win/Lose 35-32 that is fine.

Win/Lose 13-7...fold the league. (Unless playoffs lol)

Don't get me wrong, I love having a defense that goes out there and smacks people in the mouth. I think we still have that, but are working our way back into sync after the strange offseason. 🤞🤞 We will need it come playoff time. To have this offense now? With the acquisition of Diggs and how things are clicking? If Josh keeps rolling like this through the regular season? No one, and I MEAN NO ONE, will want to see us in the post season. 

On 9/30/2020 at 4:20 AM, Thurman#1 said:

"Because Allen is playing so well, it feels like this is the best Buffalo start to the season in quite a long time. It's not. It's really not. Buffalo started 3-0 just one year ago! But it's more than that: Buffalo has made a habit of doing this for years now. For the last decade, no team in the NFL has made a habit of starting strong and then stalling out quite like the Buffalo Bills. This is the seventh season in the last ten where the Bills started the season either 3-0 or 2-1."

It's a valid observation but I don't think it holds water.

Every one of those teams was fatally flawed and anybody who was watching them on a weekly basis could easily see it.

This group is a whole different animal. When you can score from any spot on the field in under a minute, all previous incarnations go right out the window.

Not only is this the best team they've put on the field in 25 years, I don't think there's even a close second.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

After 7 weeks:

Total offense is ranked 12th

Pass offense is 3rd

Rush offense is 32nd...

Total defense is 21st

Pass defense is 18th

Rush defense ie 26th

If we could have even a mediocre running game this offense could be elite.

For reference, Josh Allen scrambles count as passes not runs, but designed QB runs still count as runs.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

After 7 weeks:

Pass offense is 3rd

Rush offense is 32nd...

Total defense is 21st

Pass defense is 18th

Rush defense ie 26th

For reference, Josh Allen scrambles count as passes not runs, but designed QB runs still count as runs.

Enter Mongo 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

After 7 weeks:

Pass offense is 3rd

Rush offense is 32nd...

Total defense is 21st

Pass defense is 18th

Rush defense ie 26th

Interestingly, both the 09 Chargers and 03 Titans went 13-3 and 12-4, respectively, and both had middle of the pack defenses those seasons. They both featured aging #1 RBs with no real option behind them which is a bit different than our situation. Those teams also both lost in the divisional round of the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Should we be worried about the Dolphins?  They’re a sneaky good team and I could see Tua suddenly adding that missing element to their offense.  I could also see the Dolphins surging into first place in the AFCE if the Bills falter.

I think benching Fitz was a huge mistake.  That team played at a higher level in large part to who Fitz is as both a player and a person.  They love him there (not as much as us 😋) and I think they will play differently under Tua. 

They have to scale the offense back for him and he has to learn to make NFL reads.  They might eventually be better with Tua, but I doubt it this season. 

Moreso, and I know this is only based off one throw, but his first pass looked very soft to me.  It was not an NFL throw.  I think both Burrow and Herbert are going to be better pros to me.  

I am curious to watch his game progress.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Should we be worried about the Dolphins?  They’re a sneaky good team and I could see Tua suddenly adding that missing element to their offense.  I could also see the Dolphins surging into first place in the AFCE if the Bills falter.

Not really worried about the Dolphins - they have already lost 2 games in the division and are facing their tough stretch.

The move to Tua was always about next year and the plan seemed to be to make the switch at the bye week to give time needed to adjust the offense to fit him.  The bye was was later in the season until COVID and the plan was allow Fitzpatrick time to mentor him and get them through this tough stretch to the more cushy end of the season.

The change in bye week moved up the switch and I do not think he or the Dolphins will be as prepared for this upcoming stretch and therefore - I think they will falter before ending the season on a higher note based solely on schedule (much like the Jets last year).  

Good Fitz was their best chance at winning the next couple of weeks, Bad Fitz late in the season might have cost them.  Tua will be steadier long term, but I am not sure he is ready to face a pressure team like the Rams and we saw how Donald could handle a big, strong cantaloupe farmer like JA if he gets his hands on him - he might catapult Tua to the moon during this game if he gets interested.

I still think by the end of the season - they and the Pats are tied for second and third in the division and the Pats will be second based on division record.

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m not not worried about the Dolphins.