Week 3 PFF Grade of Josh Allen

mykidsdad

1 hour ago, mykidsdad said:

Josh seems to be getting a little respect. It's like Josh has to kick in some people's doors and yank the respect right out of these people's hands.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-3-pff-team-of-the-week-key-takeaways-weekly-awards-and-more

"IT’S AMAZING HOW MUCH BETTER JOSH ALLEN HAS BEEN

Allen’s first two years in the NFL weren’t all that great from a passing perspective — he was the fourth-lowest graded passer as a rookie then marginally improved in Year 2, raising his grade to the NFL’s sixth-lowest mark.

The biggest issue was Allen's accuracy, or lack thereof. In that two-year span, 17.8% of Allen’s pass attempts resulted in a quarterback-fault incompletion, a figure over two percentage points worse than any other quarterback. This year, however, things have been vastly different.

Through three weeks of play in 2020, Allen has the third-lowest rate of uncatchable passes thrown over 10 yards downfield. He has benefitted from a lot of those targets being open thanks to the slew of separators he has in the receiving unit, but Allen has also been sharp on the throws he has had to make to a tight window. This has helped the third-year quarterback produce an 83.9 passing grade over the first three weeks, fifth in the NFL. His Week 3 outing against the Rams was actually his highest-graded game as a passer of his NFL career.

As my colleague Kevin Cole wrote about this offseason, it’s extremely rare for a quarterback to break out in their third year, making Allen, at least up until this point, an anomaly."

Shocker... good thing that manure-hauling truck has a reverse gear.

Shift and grind those gears into "anomaly" and gun it backwards PFF because you were wrong, wrong, wrong and so blinded by your numbers you could not objectively watch a player's play on the field, or acknowledge the actual ongoing development.

What does Experimenter-Expectancy Effect mean? What does Confirmation-Bias mean? Look'em up PFF, they are relevant to the kind of articles you wrote regarding Allen.

If Josh Allen succeeds, the Bills will have outsmarted basically all regular humans and the entirety of math itself

If this works, then stats really are for losers, I guess.

By Jason Kirk 

Take that loser.... will there ever be a rock big enough for this guy to crawl under???

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

This is a continuation of their 3 year old, "smartest guys in the room" position when it comes to Josh Allen.   

Exhibit A, this is right after last year's Turkey Day win in Dallas:

By Sam Monson and Steve Palazzolo
Dec 2, 2019

Pump the brakes on Josh Allen a little bit…

Nothing warps perception more than a big performance (good or bad) in a nationally televised or primetime game. Josh Allen just had maybe the best game of his career (certainly the best game against a team not named Miami) on Thanksgiving Day against Dallas, so people are looking to cash in receipts. I don’t want to take anything away from his performance Thursday night — Allen was spectacular — I just want to caution against believing that this is his baseline. From digging out a botched snap only to power himself for a first down to executing multiple difficult passes, this was a high watermark for Allen. His adjusted completion percentage was 79.2%, and he showcased that incredible arm strength. If this was the play the Bills got from their quarterback every week, they would be among the favorites for the AFC. Instead, it’s just a taste of where his ceiling is so far.

Some people just can't accept that they might be wrong I guess.  A friend taught me to always say to folks like these, "There is a remote possibility you may be correct"

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think Josh is really that much of an anomaly because his coaching in college was not up to the level of most first round QB's.  His first year in the pros was kinda like the senior year of most college QB's...Allen had more areas to improve in, so it is taking him longer to hit his stride.

Something changed at PFF. They realized the Bills are about to be a good team for a while and that they have fully alienated the fanbase and appear to be trying to walk back years of BS by kissing some butt and articles like Fairburn's coming out to say they aren't hating on us intentionally. Bridge burned. Their grading system is trash.  

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

mentioned above. I thought I would throw the link in here. I forgot about how arrogant these people all were at the time. WOW.

13 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t know why you guys are even reading PFF at this point.

pretty much satisfaction seeing someone proven wrong...waiting for that kind of told-you-so moment...and I think we're starting to get it. Again Josh had to swing these people to the ground by their facemasks and trample them to get it. But he's getting it, and I think that is cool.

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Bridge burned

agreed

39 minutes ago, eball said:

These guys are such lazy dorks.  Yes, if you simply plugged numbers into your Tandy-TRS80 when Josh came out of college you'd say "he won't be any good."  To completely ignore the background, physical talent, and intangibles that were readily apparent is, at best, intellectual dishonesty, but they went a step further and did a hatchet job on Allen every time he played.  Everyone saw Allen's improvement from Y1 to Y2, so what did they do?  Predict he was at his ceiling -- not because of data, but because they didn't want to contradict their precious "model" that told them he'd suck.  I guess we've established that three weeks is the PFF breaking point.  Screw 'em.

My “model” predicts that at this pace, by the end of the season he will have 1,000 yard passing games and be completing 175% of his passes.  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, atomicpwrd said:

I don't think Josh is really that much of an anomaly because his coaching in college was not up to the level of most first round QB's.  His first year in the pros was kinda like the senior year of most college QB's...Allen had more areas to improve in, so it is taking him longer to hit his stride.

Well he came out after his Junior year so his first year as a pro would be like his Senior year

14 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Is he better than Duck Dodgers yet?

I bookmarked one back in 2018 just for this occasion that said any team that drafted Josh Allen was incompetent.

Doubled down on that assessment and said if you like Christian Hackenberg you'll love Josh Allen....then added this scouting report of Hackenberg.

image.thumb.png.43943ee85cb5149d1d40643e5821d1d3.png

Man they were piling on...glad for Josh, glad for this team. Playing some great football, and still room to grow.

5 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I always remember that article where they talk about McD and Beane saying that if allen succeeds it would be a statistical anomaly.  I can't find it anymore though. 

It says "Cantaloupe Farmer"

I love this article.  Especially with where we are now!

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

If Allen is an “anomaly” for breaking out in his 3rd year, then what is Aaron Rodgers, who broke out in his 4th?

PFF and others don’t seem to grasp that players simply can’t be shoehorned into their stat models. 

• Like (+1) 2

His Week 3 outing against the Rams was actually his highest-graded game as a passer of his NFL career.

Even when they praise him they are wrong. Last week against the Dolphins was the best passing game of his career. It is really not even close.

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

This is your weekly reminder that positive or negative, PFF is a scam

I will never stop reminding people that their grades are done by unpaid interns using a convoluted manual, with broadcast footage only. How did they even grade Allen last week? They missed two entire drives.

Edited by HappyDays