Week 3 PFF Grade of Josh Allen

mykidsdad

Josh seems to be getting a little respect. It's like Josh has to kick in some people's doors and yank the respect right out of these people's hands.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-3-pff-team-of-the-week-key-takeaways-weekly-awards-and-more

"IT’S AMAZING HOW MUCH BETTER JOSH ALLEN HAS BEEN

Allen’s first two years in the NFL weren’t all that great from a passing perspective — he was the fourth-lowest graded passer as a rookie then marginally improved in Year 2, raising his grade to the NFL’s sixth-lowest mark.

The biggest issue was Allen's accuracy, or lack thereof. In that two-year span, 17.8% of Allen’s pass attempts resulted in a quarterback-fault incompletion, a figure over two percentage points worse than any other quarterback. This year, however, things have been vastly different.

Through three weeks of play in 2020, Allen has the third-lowest rate of uncatchable passes thrown over 10 yards downfield. He has benefitted from a lot of those targets being open thanks to the slew of separators he has in the receiving unit, but Allen has also been sharp on the throws he has had to make to a tight window. This has helped the third-year quarterback produce an 83.9 passing grade over the first three weeks, fifth in the NFL. His Week 3 outing against the Rams was actually his highest-graded game as a passer of his NFL career.

As my colleague Kevin Cole wrote about this offseason, it’s extremely rare for a quarterback to break out in their third year, making Allen, at least up until this point, an anomaly."

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Great to read.

My only comment is maybe this huge jump isnt all due to Josh.   that there have been a few  balls thrown this year, that in prior years, would not have been deemed "uncatchable" or inaccurate, major difference is many of these balls have been caught this year.  Why...Diggs having some normal NFL level WR #1 catches and Gabe Davis, netter tracking by all receivers and more effective use or rub plays.  I give a lot of credit to Diggs, he is a very tough, strong  and dedicated WR..

It has only been three games so very few catches in these category can makes a tremendous difference.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Great to read.

My only comment is maybe this huge jump isnt all due to Josh.   that there have been a few  balls thrown this year, that in prior years, would not have been deemed "uncatchable" or inaccurate, major difference is many of these balls have been caught this year.  Why...Diggs having some normal NFL level WR #1 catches and Gabe Davis, netter tracking by all receivers and more effective use or rub plays.  I give a lot of credit to Diggs, he is a very tough, strong  and dedicated WR..

It has only been three games so very few catches in these category can makes a tremendous difference.

A combination of Allen taking a big step, Diggs, and not having a statistically anomalous drop%

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Josh "Anomaly" Allen

I always remember that article where they talk about McD and Beane saying that if allen succeeds it would be a statistical anomaly.  I can't find it anymore though. 

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m struggling to form this word..

It says "Cantaloupe Farmer"

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

A combination of Allen taking a big step, Diggs, and not having a statistically anomalous drop%

Good point about the drops, not sure how those are "scored".

In the last two years when I saw J Allen throw up a contested ball i would automatically think oh boy here we go........  Now this year it happens and shockingly they are getting completed.

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And how did Lamar grade vs. KC?  Bet they will say many incompletions were catchable balls.   

Oh and that dig that they were to open receivers is typical.

Saw that did and totally agree. Small people.

These guys are such lazy dorks.  Yes, if you simply plugged numbers into your Tandy-TRS80 when Josh came out of college you'd say "he won't be any good."  To completely ignore the background, physical talent, and intangibles that were readily apparent is, at best, intellectual dishonesty, but they went a step further and did a hatchet job on Allen every time he played.  Everyone saw Allen's improvement from Y1 to Y2, so what did they do?  Predict he was at his ceiling -- not because of data, but because they didn't want to contradict their precious "model" that told them he'd suck.  I guess we've established that three weeks is the PFF breaking point.  Screw 'em.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

I guess we've established that three weeks is the PFF breaking point.  Screw 'em.

2 years 3 games, but I will take the win from those lousy jerks. I want to hear all of those people say they were wrong. Blame it on the pandemic. I'm feeling petty.