Moderation Point System Discussion

SDS

I would 100% like to see people “muted” for some of those things. 

Starting threads without reading the board and seeing the same thread just below, starting threads just for attention or a one sentence opinion sucks too. 
I often joke I’d like to see an approval system to weed some of these glory bound posters out. Like you would have to approve a thread before it shows on the page. After so many successful approvals they can post freely. Probably not possible and more work on mods. BTW 
I think the mods are great. There’s some sarcasm I think that’s missed and people take it awfully personal. Chances are high if you have beef with a mod you’re one of the problem “contributors” on this site and took it personal cause you got a warning message and didn’t agree. 

We also need to upgrade the YOLO bot on here. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

1. Add "crusades"

2. Points should be based on severity of impact to the community. (More severe, more points).

Politics, COVID-19=1

Topic bumping =2

Inappropriate avatar = 3

Inapp Language = 4

Abusive behavior = 5 

3. 10 points = post only

15 points = vacation

25+ points = 1 year ban

Do we need a permanent ban ?

4. Need some kind of probation system. As an example, if someone gets a vacation and "earns" a certain number of points in a defined period of time, he automatically gets the next level of punishment

as an example, if someone comes back from vacation and gets another 10 points within a month, he gets a 1 year ban

5. Appeals should apply to bans only else it will be too much work for the mods.

Crusades! 

All the backdoor uses of offensive language.

Mods using their petty tyrant/bully pulpit to mock and intimidate posters. Aren’t they supposed to be setting a good example?

4 hours ago, Halloween Land said:

I think that we shouldn't get abused by Chandler#81. He seems to abuse his power and bully people for no reason and we the people here don't deserve that. I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'm not afraid to stand up for myself. I'm sure he will suspend me now.

Exactly

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Starting threads without reading the board and seeing the same thread just below, starting threads just for attention or a one sentence opinion sucks too. 
I often joke I’d like to see an approval system to weed some of these glory bound posters out. Like you would have to approve a thread before it shows on the page. After so many successful approvals they can post freely. Probably not possible and more work on mods.

Restricting the ability of new members to start threads until they've been on the board for a while or have contributed to a number of threads, was intended to curtail this.

In general, I feel it has worked OK.

Yeah, I don't think any of us mods want to sign up to approve threads or posts on a regular basis.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Restricting the ability of new members to start threads until they've been on the board for a while or have contributed to a number of threads, was intended to curtail this.

In general, I feel it has worked OK.

Yeah, I don't think any of us mods want to sign up to approve threads or posts on a regular basis.

😂😂😂 come on, let me find some more work for you guys to do.. I have a blast on here usually so I trust it’ll go in the right direction. 
Similar to what others have said I have browsed other teams sites and this one is run much much better and cleaner 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, SDS said:

Hey everyone... 3-0!!! How 'bout them Bills??? Let's keep it going.... 👊

I'd like to ask for constructive input on community moderation. Our software has a ton of features that we have never used and it may be time to provide some structure. I'm hoping that provides a more methodical and more informed way to keep this train chugging along in a smooth way. FYI, off-topic/"funny"/inappropriate posts will be deleted. Here is what I want to know:

1. We have several default areas of concern: Politics, COVID-19, Inappropriate Language, Abusive Behavior, Inappropriate Avatar, Topic Bumping. Are there any other typical bad posts that fall into a category I am missing? This seems good

2. Each of those categories have default point values from 0-5. What do you think they should be? Think should be 1 point each

3. What should happen to a member if they rack up X number of points? (Each time that get a point - the user is warned.) This can range from being able to read and not post to removing all access to the community. First warning, Second is stopping ability to post for a period of time, 3rd longer suspension, 4th - 6 Month Suspension, 5th - 1 year suspension.

4. Should points expire? If so, how long should they remain?  Yes Should expire, 1 month after no additional points.

5. Should there be an appeals process (post restriction/banning) and what would this look like?  I think they can appeal to a select board of Moderators (call it 3) for a vote, but only on banning IMO

This is just feedback. We may disagree on what you say. Your feedback may not be feasible either. regardless, thoughtful replies are appreciated.

Thanks.

In Bold

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We try.  We merge topics (or sometimes lock) duplicative topics.  It gets tricky sometimes - if topics seem similar but have a different POV, if there are duplicate threads but they both have good conversations going by the time we catch them.

One thing that I believe has helped is to limit the ability of new posters to start threads.  It has cut down a TON of unsubstantive duplicate topics IMHO.

What do you have in mind or what would you like to see on the subject?

My idea is to give all the standard members a low fixed number of topic starts each week, or month, etc. That might cause the posters to be more thoughtful before starting a new topic so they don't run out of opportunities. To me, it seems like the same culprits are always the ones starting the same topics over and over. Perhaps as you earn points, you can earn more topic starts each week. If you repeatedly start redundant topics, you likewise lose points and topic starts.

6 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Some people get away with this (repeatedly) because they're "grandfathered in." I've always found that to be horse****. If it doesn't apply for all, it shouldn't apply for any.

I hear this regularly.  It's gytrash.  Usually the supposed "untouchable" poster has recently been Gobsmacked by the Big Man himself, or been the subject of a thread titled "Brittleboy and his socks" in the Mods Forum (Clue, those aren't usually dedicated to admiring Brittleboy's footcoverings) and is on a short leash - or is someone I'm barely aware of and certainly don't consider above reproach!

So here's the "Lo Down" from my POV as a mod:

1) Mods do actually try hard to be internally consistent with themselves. 

2) Different mods do see things a bit differently though we do discuss between us to try for consistency. 

3) Part of what you see with this thread is active effort to better calibrate and standardize between mods so that we're able to be more consistent.  Please support!

4) Mods don't see every post, even in a thread where we're active and participating.  We just can't!  Therefore.....

5) If you see something you think inappropriate, REPORT IT.  A report lets all the mods see it and gets it addressed soonest.

6) If you see something you think inappropriate, DON'T further derail the thread by complaining about it in the thread, that just worsens the problem.

7) I regularly get PMs from folks complaining no action was taken against the other guy.  Please don't assume.  Thats Ass U Me.  How do you know?  Clue: You don't.

8 )Do some posters get some extra benefit of the doubt?  Probably, but it's unconscious and due to human nature, not some kind of "grandfather in".  If someone has a history of making entertaining and strong posts about football, they probably do get more slack or an extra chance.  The point of the board is entertaining and good football discussion, after all, so just like on a football field, if you produce at a high level where it counts you subconsciously earn some extra consideration.  Nothing like a list of posters who are above discipline tho.

9) If you think some action against you is unfair, it's fine to politely question it.  But please be civil and don't use other posts that "skated" as justification for your bad doings.

10) GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You all do a great job but if this makes it easier, go for it.

That's not feedback on this system but confidence in your ability to create such a good community, even if there are things done here that I believe detract from it. Your board, your rules, your good place.

Points expiring over time makes sense--anyone can go nuts after a Josh Allen pick 6 for a loss and lose their cool!

6 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Some people get away with this (repeatedly) because they're "grandfathered in." I've always found that to be horse****. If it doesn't apply for all, it shouldn't apply for any.

meh. If you’ve been here 25 years and know half the regulars in person I don’t mind getting a little more leeway on joking around than a newbie 

Don’t think they should get away with being blatantly derogatory or anything but I get some earned reputation (good and bad) effecting moderation of someone  

5 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Point 9 Hap, would be an absolute bugbear of mine. It's simply deflection.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

yup - not every post will be seen or reported. If you messed up, take the medicine and move on. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hear this regularly.  It's gytrash.  Usually the supposed "untouchable" poster has recently been Gobsmacked by the Big Man himself, or been the subject of a thread titled "Brittleboy and his socks" in the Mods Forum (Clue, those aren't usually dedicated to admiring Brittleboy's footcoverings) and is on a short leash - or is someone I'm barely aware of and certainly don't consider above reproach!

Oh, there's one very specific person to whom I'm referring, with a rap sheet a mile long. If he was ever Gobsmacked by the higher-ups... It didn't work. ;) 

These are good pointers for new posters. It takes a while to get a "lay of the land" here. The more successful posters probably do a lot of reading first. When I first joined, I didn't know there were different rules for PPP, where you can't go one page without seeing the word "idiot" at least once twice. So I figured it was fair game on the site as a whole, and I came out with  guns a-blazin' on TSW. Lesson learned, and I adjusted. But when I brought up the fact that 'Mr. Rap Sheet' uses that word all the time, I was told, roughly, that he's "an institution here and the sole exception." That didn't pass the smell test. That's all. That's my one beef here in 2.5 years. 🤷‍♂️

What's the primary goal?

Assuming that it's to keep the board from turning into a mud-slinging contest, then I would put the weight on things related to that. In order for conversation to stay interesting there has to be a grey area where you can have spirited conversation, but there's definitely a line. Understanding where that line is and where it isn't would probably be a good way of self-policing the board.

As for the politics discussions, I'd give a delete/warn and then scale points from there. In general I think points should be commensurate with  the offense. A topic subtly drifting into "I'd prefer not to have a new stadium because of taxes" vs creating threads on obvious political topics or injecting them into otherwise unrelated conversation are not the same things.

Likewise on the abusive behavior side, I would lean towards higher points for repeat offenses, blatant call outs, instigating etc. Sometimes a spirited conversation devolves a bit and that can just be solved with a thread closure. It shouldn't be the same as creating a new thread "Poster X is a ****"

As for language, I think that should be limited to pretty egregious offenses, as there's already a filter.

Points should definitely expire.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
quote of removed post
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/29/2020 at 2:55 PM, Lfod said:

In my opinion, off topic post/responses and abusive behavior is what I would treat the harshest. I'm not as bothered by a lot of the other stuff listed but that's just me. 

I think sometimes you really have to just look at things on a case to case basis and factor in a persons history of behavior. 

I can only say that I think moderation is already good. 

The moderation is good!  I love this board.

• SDS locked this topic