Moderation Point System Discussion

SDS

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

1.) I think it’s hard to regulate the Covid/politics as their is so much crossover right now. The most recent Bills press release is even about it. This should be okay as long as people are respectful. When the topic turns and people cross the line that will fall to the abusive behavior IMO. 

2.) Abusive behavior would be 4 points for me. Crusading would be 2 but probably should have some sort of warning first because this can get blurry. What’s a crusade vs. a long discussion on a topic? Thread bumping would be 1. Duplicate threads would be 1 as well. 

3.) 8 points result is a month suspension. When you come back 1/2 of those points are pulled. You lose 2 points a month over each of the next 2. That way if you come back from a suspension and are abusive in month 1 you are out again. That’s the most serious offense on here IMO.

4.) Points should certainly expire. 2 points a month should come off.

5.) Yeah, I think that things can occasionally be blurry. Maybe some sort of “board of members” or mods review it? There would be some criteria for who would be eligible (well behaved and veteran posters). This group would seem to have TBD’s best interest at heart. Maybe like 11 people and 6 votes will overturn it? I think you need a decent sized group in order to be fair. 

Just my $.02 and thanks as always @SDS for letting us weigh in.

generally agree On the first 4.

politics are in everything. Hard to pretend it’s not. I’d rather focus on tone than content there, right? I think society as a whole would be better if civil discourse was encourage instead of accepting politics as a topic too far to address 

The exact value and how quickly they age out and what threshold you get bumped out at I don’t feel like hyper analyzing but something like you laid out seems roughly good.

having a review board seems like overkill. Sometimes we may be too serious and overengineer a message board. If a poster feels targeted or misunderstood it seems easy enough to shoot the mod that hit you a note, or another mod a quick ask for help. Won’t be perfect but no answer will be.... so may as well keep it super simple.

Edited by NoSaint

6 hours ago, SDS said:

Hey everyone... 3-0!!! How 'bout them Bills??? Let's keep it going.... 👊

I'd like to ask for constructive input on community moderation. Our software has a ton of features that we have never used and it may be time to provide some structure. I'm hoping that provides a more methodical and more informed way to keep this train chugging along in a smooth way. FYI, off-topic/"funny"/inappropriate posts will be deleted. Here is what I want to know:

1. We have several default areas of concern: Politics, COVID-19, Inappropriate Language, Abusive Behavior, Inappropriate Avatar, Topic Bumping. Are there any other typical bad posts that fall into a category I am missing?

2. Each of those categories have default point values from 0-5. What do you think they should be?

3. What should happen to a member if they rack up X number of points? (Each time that get a point - the user is warned.) This can range from being able to read and not post to removing all access to the community.

4. Should points expire? If so, how long should they remain?

5. Should there be an appeals process (post restriction/banning) and what would this look like?

This is just feedback. We may disagree on what you say. Your feedback may not be feasible either. regardless, thoughtful replies are appreciated.

Thanks.

Area of Concern: Crusading/Trolling. Same topic over and over. 

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

generally agree On the first 4.

politics are in everything. Hard to pretend it’s not. I’d rather focus on tone than content there, right? I think society as a whole would be better if civil discourse was encourage instead of accepting politics as a topic too far to address 

The exact value and how quickly they age out and what threshold you get bumped out at I don’t feel like hyper analyzing but something like you laid out seems roughly good.

having a review board seems like overkill. Sometimes we may be too serious and overengineer a message board. If a poster feels targeted or misunderstood it seems easy enough to shoot the mod that hit you a note, or another mod a quick ask for help. Won’t be perfect but no answer will be.... so may as well keep it super simple.

My only thought is that we generally do a pretty good job of self-policing. There can be hard feelings I suppose. I really don’t envision some big review. It’s more like “here’s the situation, yay or nay on the suspension?”

There are a lot of good comments here about points, how much each infraction should count by category, if they should roll off, etc. My biggest concern would be the “community moderation” aspect. I trust the Mods to be reasonable adults. You might disagree, but they will not be as petty and nasty as your average (or certainly bottom end) poster. I fear this could fuel a downward spiral in civility as posters start unloading on others they don’t like or disagree with. That is the opposite of what we want, IMO. 

I respect everyone here as a person. I do not trust everyone here to regulate the board. The Mods do a great job with what they do. I like a system where posters can report what they find offensive, and Mods get the task of getting to the bottom of things and deciding the proper response. 

Just one guy’s opinion. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I'm not sure what is meant by off topic post but to me I don't think they should be grouped with off topic behavior.  You would lose a lot of your veteran posters depending on how you define off topic behavior.  You wouldn't want that, after all it's the posters that make the site not the other way around IMO.

If someone could clarify what is meant by off topic that could result in suspension or banning.

Another poster brought up the off topic situation and to be honest I don't actually know the span of what that actually covers.

I can only clarify that I meant people that steer a conversation into the #1 point of the original post. A forum for every topic exists and people can get into deep discussion in those forums meant to discuss those types of topics. 

I should of been more specific because conversations happen between posters that know each other, and a conversation  can go off track and it's not something that I think is an off topic type problem.

I am not bothered by some one bringing up chicken wings, recipes, inside jokes between posters. I'm not talking about bringing the hammer down on somebody telling a story from thier life. I could be wrong but I don't think that was ever a thing that was considered a part of the off topic punishments. I enjoy reading people banter.

I was only thinking off topic as hot button subjects that will turn into heated debates and arguments that fill pages that is outside of the realm of football discussion. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

I do believe that a limit to new topics would be nice, because it can get ridiculous to have so many posts that have no merit.

We try.  We merge topics (or sometimes lock) duplicative topics.  It gets tricky sometimes - if topics seem similar but have a different POV, if there are duplicate threads but they both have good conversations going by the time we catch them.

One thing that I believe has helped is to limit the ability of new posters to start threads.  It has cut down a TON of unsubstantive duplicate topics IMHO.

What do you have in mind or what would you like to see on the subject?

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SDS said:

I'd like to ask for constructive input on community moderation. Our software has a ton of features that we have never used and it may be time to provide some structure. I'm hoping that provides a more methodical and more informed way to keep this train chugging along in a smooth way. FYI, off-topic/"funny"/inappropriate posts will be deleted. Here is what I want to know:

1. We have several default areas of concern: Politics, COVID-19, Inappropriate Language, Abusive Behavior, Inappropriate Avatar, Topic Bumping. Are there any other typical bad posts that fall into a category I am missing?

2. Each of those categories have default point values from 0-5. What do you think they should be?

3. What should happen to a member if they rack up X number of points? (Each time that get a point - the user is warned.) This can range from being able to read and not post to removing all access to the community.

5. Should there be an appeals process (post restriction/banning) and what would this look like?

This is just feedback. We may disagree on what you say. Your feedback may not be feasible either. regardless, thoughtful replies are appreciated.

Thanks.

i have 2 Points from 2014 which were given to me by the great Beerball. I would like to contest those and have them expunged. 2014 Bobo is not 2020 Bobo 😊

8 hours ago, SDS said:

Thanks.

Whatever you do, I think allowing points to expire would be pragmatic (at least initially).

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My only thought is that we generally do a pretty good job of self-policing. There can be hard feelings I suppose. I really don’t envision some big review. It’s more like “here’s the situation, yay or nay on the suspension?”

oh I get it- I just think you are fine with a second set of mod eyes or just SDS. I wouldn’t be upset if it went your way, just felt like more than needed since it’s a pretty low key spot that does generally run so smoothly. 

I think a point system should be 1-3 points per infraction depending on severity. 

5 points - warning about conduct. 

7 points - suspension of post privileges for a week with the ability to log in and ready only. 

10 points - 1 month ban

13 points - permaban

Points should roll off at a rate of 1 per month. At that rate, a severe infraction would take 3 months to fully recover from. 

For the most part, all of us being fans (fanatics), arguments and opinions get heated and intense.  I don't think most on here troll or attempt to get a rise, we just have strong beliefs. 

Mistakes are made sometimes and with a roll off point system it will allow that mistake to erase after time and return to a good standing. 

An appeals process would be nice depending on how it would work. Bias does exist, especially if you have an unpopular opinion. I guess it all depends on who would review the appeal. 

Edited by TwistofFate

This is a great board. Well run, interesting and enjoyable. 

Food for thought, since @SDS has never asked us for $$ to be a member here, maybe there’s some way to impose a fine/surcharge structure to a charitable cause.

For example, let’s say I get banned for 30 days (pick an infraction, this is hypothetical), what if I was given the option to shorten my ban by donating $25 to the American Cancer Society or Humane Society? Or if I have 9 points and want to expunge 6 of them, I could donate $25 to the above charity. I would make the donation and email the “Thank you for your donation” notice from the charity to a mod so they could make the necessary change to my account status. 

Again, this isn’t really a “fine” per se - it’s more of an optional redemption device. And the charities would have to be acceptable (American Cancer Society, St Jude’s, Humane Society, etc) as opposed to “Gugny’s Spring Break Fund 2021”. 

Sometimes the most effective way to change people’s behavior is to add a monetary incentive. If that monetary donation can affect change in both the poster who donates and a charitable cause, it’s a win-win. 

Go Bills!

15 hours ago, Bill Lewes said:

Abusive Behavior -5 (it ought to be obvious that you can disagree with an idea, without calling the idea-giver an idiot),

Some people get away with this (repeatedly) because they're "grandfathered in." I've always found that to be horse****. If it doesn't apply for all, it shouldn't apply for any.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

1. Add "crusades"

2. Points should be based on severity of impact to the community. (More severe, more points).

Politics, COVID-19=1

Topic bumping =2

Inappropriate avatar = 3

Inapp Language = 4

Abusive behavior = 5 

3. 10 points = post only

15 points = vacation

25+ points = 1 year ban

Do we need a permanent ban ?

4. Need some kind of probation system. As an example, if someone gets a vacation and "earns" a certain number of points in a defined period of time, he automatically gets the next level of punishment

as an example, if someone comes back from vacation and gets another 10 points within a month, he gets a 1 year ban

5. Appeals should apply to bans only else it will be too much work for the mods.

If they appeal, can they still participate until their appeal is heard?

18 hours ago, SDS said:

Thanks.

1.  Add "crusades" to the list.

2. Whatever 5 is should be very hard to get, and carry some sort of immediate suspension.  Only personal attacks/threats?

3.  This is the hardest part.  If 1 is an off color joke or something very borderline and 5 is a threat, do 5 1's really equal 5?  I see no reason why someone banned or suspended wouldn't be able to view the site.  What's the harm there?

4. Yes.  Not sure I have a perfect formula but 1's should expire more quickly than 2's and so on.

5.  Probably yes but probably hard to manage.  Maybe one mod can be assigned for an impartial review of every suspension.  That mod could decide whether or not to contact the offender.

Edited by 4merper4mer

18 hours ago, SDS said:

Thanks.

@SDS for areas of concern, what about "shadow mod-ing", which you've previously called out on the board as un-constructive (albeit sometimes well intended).

Also should there be a breakout category of "abusive behavior" for the more severe categories - actual threats of violence or wishes for bodily harm or actual defamation?

• Like (+1) 1