Moderation Point System Discussion

SDS

27 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think that perhaps there should be a time consideration for how long a poster takes to earn a certain number of points that earns them a suspension -- like with driver's licenses where getting too many points in 3 years warrants a suspension.  There's a big difference between a poster who earns 5 points over 2 years and another who earns 5 points over 2 months.

I agree with this...and maybe look at their overall posting volume....if a person has 5 posts that give him 5 points versus 1000 posts that give him 5 points, that should be taken into account as well.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gene1973 said:

If we were all adults then there would not be the need for such policies...

I appreciate your willingness to engage, but this topic is for me and the other moderators to address our points system, not to discuss other things with other people. The topic title, the original post and the questions I asked were very specific. Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Hey everyone... 3-0!!! How 'bout them Bills??? Let's keep it going.... 👊

I'd like to ask for constructive input on community moderation. Our software has a ton of features that we have never used and it may be time to provide some structure. I'm hoping that provides a more methodical and more informed way to keep this train chugging along in a smooth way. FYI, off-topic/"funny"/inappropriate posts will be deleted. Here is what I want to know:

1. We have several default areas of concern: Politics, COVID-19, Inappropriate Language, Abusive Behavior, Inappropriate Avatar, Topic Bumping. Are there any other typical bad posts that fall into a category I am missing?

2. Each of those categories have default point values from 0-5. What do you think they should be?

3. What should happen to a member if they rack up X number of points? (Each time that get a point - the user is warned.) This can range from being able to read and not post to removing all access to the community.

4. Should points expire? If so, how long should they remain?

5. Should there be an appeals process (post restriction/banning) and what would this look like?

This is just feedback. We may disagree on what you say. Your feedback may not be feasible either. regardless, thoughtful replies are appreciated.

Thanks.

1. Direct people to the correct forum? I am not certain people realize there is an off-topic, college, or political sub-forum.  Topic bumping is bad? How old is a topic that would be too old? What if the "bump" continues the original discussion (such as a follow-up on an arrest or suspension)?

2.  🤷‍♂️

3. People can get around anything they like with new ips, virtual ips, phone ip vs home ip, etc. I do not envy you or the moderators this solution.

4.  Yes, points should expire, especially for minor infractions.

5.  There should be a ban appeals process, provided the banning was not for something egregious (like threats to another member). It may cut down on the amount of sock puppet accounts (duplicates).

Good luck. This really is a thankless task.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
plural points
  • Like (+1) 7

Happy to see this may go into effect. You and the other mods are very valuable in keeping this platform straight and clean. Thanks for all you do!

2. Each of those categories have default point values from 0-5. What do you think they should be? ABUSIVE SHOULD BE 5. I'LL LET YOU ALL SET THE REST.

3. What should happen to a member if they rack up X number of points? (Each time that get a point - the user is warned.) This can range from being able to read and not post to removing all access to the community. IF THEY GET TO 10 WITHIN A MONTH, LOG THE USER OUT FOR TWO WEEKS. THEY CAN STILL VIEW, JUST CAN'T DO ANYTHING.

4. Should points expire? If so, how long should they remain? POINTS TO EXPIRE COMPLETELY AFTER A FULL MONTH OF NOT GETTING ANY MORE POINTS.

5. Should there be an appeals process (post restriction/banning) and what would this look like?  NAH. IF YOU GET WARNED, THEN BANNED, YOU LOSE YOUR RIGHT TO APPEAL. SOUNDS TIME CONSUMING FOR THE MODS, ALSO.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think a point system is needed. I'm fine leaving it up to the discretion of the moderators.

If you want a point system I think it should be a "three strikes and you're out" kind of thing, with a timeframe (perhaps adjustable according to the specific offense) that those points can expire. Perhaps semiannually.

If you get your third strike you are prevented from posting for a month. If that happens three times to you, you get a permanent ban.

Edit: Off topic, but I would totally be all for not allowing members to make new threads until they reach a certain reputation level.

Edited by MJS

48 minutes ago, SDS said:

I'd like to ask for constructive input on community moderation. Our software has a ton of features that we have never used and it may be time to provide some structure. I'm hoping that provides a more methodical and more informed way to keep this train chugging along in a smooth way. FYI, off-topic/"funny"/inappropriate posts will be deleted. Here is what I want to know:

1. We have several default areas of concern: Politics, COVID-19, Inappropriate Language, Abusive Behavior, Inappropriate Avatar, Topic Bumping. Are there any other typical bad posts that fall into a category I am missing?

2. Each of those categories have default point values from 0-5. What do you think they should be? 

1) Topic Bumping

2) Avatar/Language

3) Covid

4) Politics

5) Abusive behavior

3. What should happen to a member if they rack up X number of points? (Each time that get a point - the user is warned.) This can range from being able to read and not post to removing all access to the community.

I'm in favor a week suspension for repeated behavior that goes against the guidelines. We all might slip from time to time, but repeated violations should warrant some type of penalty. This board is well managed and its a credit to the mods. One of the easiest boards on the internet to read.

4. Should points expire? If so, how long should they remain? I'd say yes, maybe after 6 months - a year?

5. Should there be an appeals process (post restriction/banning) and what would this look like?

Maybe just have a second mod review the issue and decide if the punishment is fair and to the rules presented to the board

This is just feedback. We may disagree on what you say. Your feedback may not be feasible either. regardless, thoughtful replies are appreciated.

Thanks.

Appreciate all you guys do. Hoping I can stay off the naughty list :)

@SDS

For frame of reference, how do you guys determine severity of punishment now?

Like, if new poster posts off color joke that’s over the line it’s probably a warning, but If he straight up drops a racial slur or something I’m assuming he’s gone for some length or permanently. Is there a specific guideline you use, or just case by case?

I personally think points should expire and cumulative points should be used for what gets someone banned- I.e, I might get 1 point for crusading or what have you, and 3 for abusive behavior, and then another crusading might mean a Trip to the cooler cause I reached that 5 total (as an example). 

Also, I like the idea of an appeals process but I have no idea how that would work for the mods. I know I got a vacation the other day for a post that was political (I own that) but was, I thought, in line with the entire thread and not more political than anyone else’s- when I came back I asked the mod who punched my travel ticket for an explanation (privately) and got nothing back. So some sense of understanding in such situations would be nice. 

57 minutes ago, Lfod said:

In my opinion, off topic post/responses and abusive behavior is what I would treat the harshest. I'm not as bothered by a lot of the other stuff listed but that's just me. 

I think sometimes you really have to just look at things on a case to case basis and factor in a persons history of behavior. 

I can only say that I think moderation is already good. 

Treating off topic responses the harshest seems a bit harsh don't you think? Its to easy for a poster to stray off topic without meaning to disrupt the thread IMO. We could be talking about Oline /thread then have the conversation shift to RB's or WR's. All related in the grand scheme of things.

I mean I get it, don't take over the whole thread with something unrelated, but the waters get a little murky with off topic responses placing an added burden on moderation IMO. Normally posters will acknowlede going off topic with the OP.

But hey, thats just me

Good point IMO.

I also think moderation is, and always has been very good here on TBD. Coming from someone who has faced the harshest of punishments.

The more you try to pin down every infraction with an exact measurement of punishment the less flexibilty mod/admin has at keeping the overall peace in the online community in my humble opinion. 

Edited by Figster

30 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, we are all adults, but I also like that we are BY FAR the classiest message board you will find. I dont think about it often, but then go to some other team's message board and they all sound like crass, uneducated, cheap-shot neanderthals because of all the swearing. Those policies definitely raise the level of posting here. JMHO.

I have noticed the same. It’s a good board in general thanks in large part to our Mods!

(the jets board is like swimming in cesspool of leaches)

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, SDS said:

Thanks.

1 and 2.  I would keep all those as rules, then a standard rubric within each one (or general) and points are given out 1-5 for severity of language, behavior, etc. I don't see what you guys do as mods, but I would hope that a quick note or reply in a thread is enough to get people to cut their schitts creek when it comes to most "violations". Any act further is a slap in the face. 

3. I do not think that anybody should ever be banned without access to view the page. Or the circumstance would have to be incredibly severe, like calling somebody the N-word or praising the KKK. Something wild that we never see on the board. 

4. Just like anything else, points should expire. I wouldn't treat it like getting a DUI and never being allowed to teach again. 

5. There should be an appeals process. Probably something formally submitted by the poster, reviewed by all the mods, voted on. In the event of a tie you, SDS, are the tie breaker as our own boss man. 

Thanks for all the hard work!

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with others regarding keeping it simple. Honestly, I don’t know any of the rules save not swearing (which, I’ve been told, I take too far) and, generally, being decent. 

Not sure how far into the weeds I’d go if I were you all as I don’t see much I’d change as it is now. Perhaps, also as mentioned above, limiting new posters ability to create new topics (or, perhaps, the quantity they can create in a given time). 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1

1. I think you've covered the list.  Maybe one other would be Duplicate Topics, Bad / Misleading Topic Titles, or opening new topics during games?

2. Politics / COIV-19 = 3, Inappropriate Language = 2 points, Abusive Behavior = 5 points, Inappropriate Avatar = account locked until Avatar changed, repeat offender would be 5 points,  Topic Bumping. = 1,  Duplicate Topics, Bad / Misleading Topic Titles = 1 point for first offense, 3 for repeat offenses

One question (I don't have an answer) would be how to handle a single post that breaks multiple rules (eg a Political post on the football board that uses inappropriate language in an abusive way - does that add up to 10 points using the sample point values I gave above?) I don't have an answer but I think it would be good to have it documented how a case like this would be treated.

3. Consequences - I'd start with removing posting access (maybe for 2 weeks or a month?) and go from there.

4. I'd suggest points should expire after 6 months, but it also might be nice for the Mods (and poster) if possible to see the total history of points for a user so they have context when making decisions.

5. IMO we're not really owed anything like this, especially if the rules are simple, layed out in writing and enforced consistently.  If you wanted to entertain appeals I feel like it would either be up to a vote among Moderators or just a review by yourself (but honestly it just seems like extra work on yourself or Mods to appease people being whiny.)

4 minutes ago, Figster said:

Treating off topic responses the harshest seems a bit harsh don't you think? Its to easy for a poster to stray off topic without meaning to disrupt the thread IMO. We could be talking about Oline /thread then have the conversation shift to RB's or WR's. All related in the grand scheme of things.

I mean I get it, don't take over the whole thread with something unrelated, but the waters get a little murky with off topic responses placing an added burden on moderation IMO. Normally posters will acknowlede going off topic with the OP.

But hey, thats just me

I also think moderation is, and always has been very good here on TBD. Coming from someone who has faced the harshest of punishments.

The more you try to pin down every infraction with an exact measurement of punishment the less flexibilty mod/admin has at keeping the overall peace in the online community in my humble opinion. 

I understand your point. I definitely don't want people getting into trouble over bringing up cooking recipes as an  example as something off topic I've seen in the past. Side conversations like that bring a connection between people and I don't think bothers anyone. 

I think my thought process is more people dragging the topic out of bounds into the territories the subjects/topics of #1 in the original post and it usually takes two or more people to jump into a heated debate about hot button issues like that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Thanks.

I don't think I have gotten any demerits unless I did not notice, so not a ton of experience in this area and the site runs well. Been visiting TBD since the D&C days and it has matured to the best Bills fan site out there so have to tip my virtual hat in appreciation of the effort that went into that and the continued commitment to improving it. There is my overt pitch to bank some leniency the next time I screw up.

I have been on other boards where it just turns into a troll and flame-fest, throw in a bit of the "Lord of the Flies" analogy for the more popular trolls and there's your online ecosystem. Whatever you and your current mods are doing it is working for the most part to keep the site inviting and the topics interesting so I would just advocate tweaking things vs any major changes.

Maybe something that helps two posters who are obviously having a pissing contest to take it offline to a chat room... that is about all I can think of at the moment. That is more of an annoyance in a topic string of posts than anything that offends me. Not sure if this would tie into your points system.

A bit off topic, but I did notice a lot of similar posts popping up around the Bills defense so a better means of combining these types of similar discussions into a pinned topic rather than having mods warn folks that it is already being discussed elsewhere... not sure if that is feasible or too much heavy lifting for the mods. Having volunteered my own services for some community and local sports sites where I live I can relate to not wanting to over commit to every whim.

Edited by WideNine

I’d also like to see certain posts desexualized.. I’m not interested in whom you think has a nice rump. It’s inappropriate and perverted regardless of sexuality. It’s one thing if you make a comment every here and there... but if 99% of a person’s posts seem to be predicated on things of a sexual nature, in my mind that is highly highly highly inappropriate and unacceptable.. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to the board for my post in the letting fans into the stadium thread.  I disparaged the governor pretty badly.  Hapless posted immediately after that to knock off the politics, so I altered my post to remove the slur I directed at the governor and tried to soften the response.  After that, I received a warning.  I tried to message Hapless to apologize, but the board did not allow that.  Later I saw my post had been deleted entirely.  I asked a member who replied to that post to take it down, and they did.  I did not mean to open this can of worms, so again, my apologies to the board.

• Like (+1) 1