The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

Shaw66

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Apparently, we are.   I think this thread will be active until Jackson retires and his era is truly over.   Only ten years to go.  

It will save you the trouble of restarting the thread every September.

23 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I skipped this thread for a bit.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30748801/john-harbaugh-defends-baltimore-ravens-run-heavy-offense

- Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh offered a defiant rebuttal Wednesday to the criticism about his offense, saying he is "not apologizing" for Lamar Jackson's style of play or the team's run-oriented game plan.

Harbaugh's forceful support came four days after the Ravens tied a franchise postseason record for fewest points scored in a 17-3 divisional playoff loss to the Buffalo Bills. Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman received heavy flak for what many saw as a simplistic passing attack.

ALSO - 

We don't want any Diva WR's so don't come asking 

Diggs was supposed to be a diva.. one person once said most great WR are Diva in one form or another.. ITs the coaching and system that stops that from happening..  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Diggs was supposed to be a diva.. one person once said most great WR are Diva in one form or another.. ITs the coaching and system that stops that from happening..  

I still see an article here and there claiming Diggs will start acting up.  

It could happen, but I don[t see it.  Not the way these guys interact with each other. 

I think the conversation is still a relevant one.  No, I’m not saying Lamar is “done” but we may have already witnessed his ceiling.  He was demonstrably worse as a passer this season — TD % went from 9.0 to 6.9 and INT % went from 1.5 to 2.4 in 25 fewer overall attempts.  Completion % dropped 1.7.  Yards/attempt dropped by 0.7.  Sacks increased by 6.  “But what about his rushing” you might ask.  17 fewer rushes, same number of TDs (7) but 15 fewer 1st downs and yards/rush dropped from 6.9 to 6.3.  2019 Lamar was better in nearly every sense of the word than 2020 Lamar.  So where is the development?

Baltimore can definitely win with Lamar, we’ve seen that.  He’s 30-7 as a starter in the regular season.  But unless there is additional development in the passing game they are a team limited by their QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I think the conversation is still a relevant one.  No, I’m not saying Lamar is “done” but we may have already witnessed his ceiling.  He was demonstrably worse as a passer this season — TD % went from 9.0 to 6.9 and INT % went from 1.5 to 2.4 in 25 fewer overall attempts.  Completion % dropped 1.7.  Yards/attempt dropped by 0.7.  Sacks increased by 6.  “But what about his rushing” you might ask.  17 fewer rushes, same number of TDs (7) but 15 fewer 1st downs and yards/rush dropped from 6.9 to 6.3.  2019 Lamar was better in nearly every sense of the word than 2020 Lamar.  So where is the development?

Baltimore can definitely win with Lamar, we’ve seen that.  He’s 30-7 as a starter in the regular season.  But unless there is additional development in the passing game they are a team limited by their QB.

His passing numbers just weren't sustainable. Especially in terms of TD%. He was i think the only QB ever, or maybe Peyton did it once, to have over 30 or 35 TD's along with a 9.0+ TD%. He had like three games where he had 5 passing TD's on about 20 passing attempts. I just checked the stats from this last season, and Rodgers hit the 9.0+ TD% mark with 48 TD's. So I think that is three times in NFL history it has happened now. Rodgers might have two of those seasons unless the other is Peyton. Can't recall.

Mind you, Jackson's TD% of 6.9% this last year is still really good in terms of well above league average. But it is likely more along the lines of what we should expect out of him moving forward. Since they simply do not throw the ball as much, he should have a higher than league average TD% for his career.

I think he is still a very effective rusher though. YPA dropping from 6.9 to 6.3 isn't very significant. It also looked like the entire team including Lamar started to run the ball back to their 2019 form in the second half of the season.

That said, they had  a cupcake schedule in 2020. Not sure what their 2021 schedule is but I'd be shocked if it isn't considerably tougher. 

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

His passing numbers just weren't sustainable. Especially in terms of TD%. He was i think the only QB ever, or maybe Peyton did it once, to have over 30 or 35 TD's along with a 9.0+ TD%. He had like three games where he had 5 passing TD's on about 20 passing attempts. I just checked the stats from this last season, and Rodgers hit the 9.0+ TD% mark with 48 TD's. So I think that is three times in NFL history it has happened now. Rodgers might have two of those seasons unless the other is Peyton. Can't recall.

Mind you, Jackson's TD% of 6.9% this last year is still really good in terms of well above league average. But it is likely more along the lines of what we should expect out of him moving forward. Since they simply do not throw the ball as much, he should have a higher than league average TD% for his career.

I think he is still a very effective rusher though. YPA dropping from 6.9 to 6.3 isn't very significant. It also looked like the entire team including Lamar started to run the ball back to their 2019 form in the second half of the season.

That said, they had  a cupcake schedule in 2020. Not sure what their 2021 schedule is but I'd be shocked if it isn't considerably tougher. 

Yeah, I think you are essentially agreeing with me.  2019 was likely as good as it will ever get with Lamar -- at least under Greg Roman.  Good enough to win a lot of regular season games against average (or worse) defenses, but probably not good enough to win a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Yeah, I think you are essentially agreeing with me.  2019 was likely as good as it will ever get with Lamar -- at least under Greg Roman.  Good enough to win a lot of regular season games against average (or worse) defenses, but probably not good enough to win a Super Bowl.

For the most part. I think we have seen the best season from him. But I think he and the Ravens will always be a threat to win a Super Bowl. Winning 11+ games every year is half the battle just to give yourself a shot. 

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

For the most part. I think we have seen the best season from him. But I think he and the Ravens will always be a threat to win a Super Bowl. Winning 11+ games every year is half the battle just to give yourself a shot. 

1-3 in the playoffs (and 3 pts against a pretty mediocre Bills' D) says otherwise, unless they get that 2000 defense back.