The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

Shaw66

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Here's the question that needs to be answered... The same question the first and second year of Josh Allen. IF you put Lamar Jackson behind our offensive line with our weapons how would he do?

Lamar earned MVP last year.. I respect his talents. Is it sustainable through the playoffs with better targets and better O'line. That book has not been written yet and Until it is.. I would not write Lamar off yet. 

Jackson had a very good year last year - no doubt.

Why did he win the MVP?  The usual candidates had off years and he was the shiny new toy.  He was the the best of the options but maybe Mahomes should have won.

How many extra games does Jackson win for his team.  An average QB with that D and RBs would win about the same.  A MVP should lift his team, not maintain.

21 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Lamar is ridiculously athletic but he'll never be an elite long term qb. Yes he won an mvp and put up great numbers that season. But just because you can run doesn't mean you should run. Steve Young learned the value of being a really good pocket passer. He only used his legs when he had to. Lamar's whole game is his legs. And the likelyhood of him avoiding injury or developing as an elite pocket passer is low.

I'm not sure why Steve Young could learn the value of being a really good pocket passer but Lamar can't.

Josh Allen is also ridiculously athletic (albeit in a different way), and he seems to have made that transition.

Maybe the problem is early success. Harbaugh wanted to move on from Flacco in Lamar's rookie season. They developed an offense that is perfectly suited to Lamar's athletic ability, and that minimized the things he wasn't good at yet like going through his progressions in the pocket, developing more sophisticated passing schemes, etc. 

And it worked! And when it works and you're already a playoff team it's awfully hard to go back and say "but we need to start over to maximize the potential for his long term success." Kind of like a 100 mph fastball pitcher who gets promoted too early and has immediate success - it's tough to teach him those secondary pitches on the job, the ones he should've learned at AA and AAA. When you're a Josh Allen and you struggle mightily in your first year by relying on your athleticism, it's easier to say you have to rework the offense to give him the best chance to succeed. Steve Young had immediate success (of a sort) in the USFL-his team won their division and everything looked good as a kind of continuation of his BYU career. Then he had immediate colossal failure (2-12) in the NFL as reliance on his physical tools alone wasn't enough. It wasn't until his age 28 season in SF, subbing for Joe Montana (and with Rice/Taylor, etc.) that he seemed to "get it."

All I'm saying is that this is not (as the OP suggested a while ago) the "end of the Lamar Jackson Era." More like the end of the Greg Roman era if you ask me.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Lamar is ridiculously athletic but he'll never be an elite long term qb. Yes he won an mvp and put up great numbers that season. But just because you can run doesn't mean you should run. Steve Young learned the value of being a really good pocket passer. He only used his legs when he had to. Lamar's whole game is his legs. And the likelyhood of him avoiding injury or developing as an elite pocket passer is low.

I think the scheme stinks. Lamar was a pocket passer in Louisville. Roman has him running a college veer offense. Blame Roman and the GM for always drafting RBs and not WRs. They are like the Bills a few years ago. Thinking you can win forever by playing an older style of football. I don’t know if Lamar can be that guy, but the style of offense they have will never tell us. He is not being asked to be a passer so who knows how good he will be at it. Meanwhile they are wasting some of his best years while they figure it out because his wheels won’t last forever. 

56 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Every time I see a guy come along like him( Lamar) I think of RG3.

He was unstoppable for a little while until he wrecked a knee.

Once his wheels were flat he didn't have it anymore because he couldn't adapt to being a pocket passer

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, nucci said:

I think they said "Josh Allen" the same amount of times

I seem to remember the raven's having more of the ball so that's probably not accurate. And even if they did, they didn't talk about him like he was the new messiah.

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I think we said the same things about Josh Allen before this season. Not saying that Lamar can make the same jump (really, what other young QBs have in recent memory? They either seem to have it right from the start like Justin Herbert or Patrick Mahomes or they never get it, like EJ Manuel), but starting over with a new OC may be the first step.

Agreed.

But, quick add: my comment(s) were in context of LJ's apparent lack of improvement in his reads, esp vav JA.

Scheme, LJ issue, both? Personally not sure.

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm not sure why Steve Young could learn the value of being a really good pocket passer but Lamar can't.

Josh Allen is also ridiculously athletic (albeit in a different way), and he seems to have made that transition.

Maybe the problem is early success. Harbaugh wanted to move on from Flacco in Lamar's rookie season. They developed an offense that is perfectly suited to Lamar's athletic ability, and that minimized the things he wasn't good at yet like going through his progressions in the pocket, developing more sophisticated passing schemes, etc. 

And it worked! And when it works and you're already a playoff team it's awfully hard to go back and say "but we need to start over to maximize the potential for his long term success." Kind of like a 100 mph fastball pitcher who gets promoted too early and has immediate success - it's tough to teach him those secondary pitches on the job, the ones he should've learned at AA and AAA. When you're a Josh Allen and you struggle mightily in your first year by relying on your athleticism, it's easier to say you have to rework the offense to give him the best chance to succeed. Steve Young had immediate success (of a sort) in the USFL-his team won their division and everything looked good as a kind of continuation of his BYU career. Then he had immediate colossal failure (2-12) in the NFL as reliance on his physical tools alone wasn't enough. It wasn't until his age 28 season in SF, subbing for Joe Montana (and with Rice/Taylor, etc.) that he seemed to "get it."

All I'm saying is that this is not (as the OP suggested a while ago) the "end of the Lamar Jackson Era." More like the end of the Greg Roman era if you ask me.

They took short term success over more sustainable long term  success To be fair he needs better wrs on the perimeter and for Roman to call passing plays Be interesting what they do next year

• 3 weeks later...

Let's say a team signs a blocking TE and a pass catching TE. Same position, two different jobs. Because the job is different, you're looking for different attributes or skill sets from one than you are from the other. Sure, you'd love to have a guy who's great at both, but usually it's one or the other.

By the same token, a QB in a Greg Roman offense is there to do a different job than a QB who's asked to be a traditional pocket passer. If you're going to be a QB in a Greg Roman offense above all you need to be fast. Take EJ Manuel for example. When the Bills drafted him he was known as a raw prospect with great physical tools. But those physical tools were not quite good enough for a Greg Roman offense. Roman benched Manuel (4.65 in the 40) in favor of Tyrod Taylor (4.47 in the 40). After Roman found his way to Baltimore, did the Ravens make a major effort to acquire Taylor? No, they didn't. Instead they drafted Lamar Jackson. Why pursue a QB who ran a 4.47 in the 40 when you can draft a QB who ran a 4.34

Greg Roman has routinely been accused of holding his QBs back. If that's true, you'd expect QBs to do better after leaving his system. After Roman's empire fell in San Francisco, Colin Kaepernick entered a two year QB competition against Blaine Gabbert. Both QBs provided roughly similar levels of play over the course of those two years. After that, Gabbert signed a vet minimum deal with some other team, while Kaepernick exited the league. After leaving Roman's system in Buffalo, Tyrod Taylor was significantly outplayed by two rookie QBs: Baker Mayfield in Cleveland and Justin Herbert with the Los Angeles Chargers. Both Kaepernick and Taylor looked like starting quality QBs while living under Roman rule, and backup quality QBs after Roman. The same people who thought that Greg Roman had been holding Kaepernick and Taylor back are now claiming he's holding back Lamar Jackson.

The reality is Lamar is a billboard for Roman's offense. A billboard. Roman is an expert at using a QB's running ability to hide that QB's deficiencies as a passer. Roman's offense creates opportunities for easy completions--opportunities which don't exist for traditional pocket passing QBs, or even for running QBs in non-Roman offenses. If you were to put Jackson in a non-Roman offense--if you were to take those easy completions away from him--would he do better than Kaepernick or Taylor did in post-Roman offenses? Maybe. But that's speculative.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

Let's say a team signs a blocking TE and a pass catching TE. Same position, two different jobs. Because the job is different, you're looking for different attributes or skill sets from one than you are from the other. Sure, you'd love to have a guy who's great at both, but usually it's one or the other.

By the same token, a QB in a Greg Roman offense is there to do a different job than a QB who's asked to be a traditional pocket passer. If you're going to be a QB in a Greg Roman offense above all you need to be fast. Take EJ Manuel for example. When the Bills drafted him he was known as a raw prospect with great physical tools. But those physical tools were not quite good enough for a Greg Roman offense. Roman benched Manuel (4.65 in the 40) in favor of Tyrod Taylor (4.47 in the 40). After Roman found his way to Baltimore, did the Ravens make a major effort to acquire Taylor? No, they didn't. Instead they drafted Lamar Jackson. Why pursue a QB who ran a 4.47 in the 40 when you can draft a QB who ran a 4.34

Greg Roman has routinely been accused of holding his QBs back. If that's true, you'd expect QBs to do better after leaving his system. After Roman's empire fell in San Francisco, Colin Kaepernick entered a two year QB competition against Blaine Gabbert. Both QBs provided roughly similar levels of play over the course of those two years. After that, Gabbert signed a vet minimum deal with some other team, while Kaepernick exited the league. After leaving Roman's system in Buffalo, Tyrod Taylor was significantly outplayed by two rookie QBs: Baker Mayfield in Cleveland and Justin Herbert with the Los Angeles Chargers. Both Kaepernick and Taylor looked like starting quality QBs while living under Roman rule, and backup quality QBs after Roman. The same people who thought that Greg Roman had been holding Kaepernick and Taylor back are now claiming he's holding back Lamar Jackson.

The reality is Lamar is a billboard for Roman's offense. A billboard. Roman is an expert at using a QB's running ability to hide that QB's deficiencies as a passer. Roman's offense creates opportunities for easy completions--opportunities which don't exist for traditional pocket passing QBs, or even for running QBs in non-Roman offenses. If you were to put Jackson in a non-Roman offense--if you were to take those easy completions away from him--would he do better than Kaepernick or Taylor did in post-Roman offenses? Maybe. But that's speculative.

Good comment. There's definitely something to this, but I'd have to say we're still in the "too soon to tell" phase.

- Tyrod: 6th round draft pick, never viewed as a starting QB prospect, turned into a perfectly acceptable starter (meaning somewhere around the 20th best in the NFL) by working under Roman's offense. No evidence yet that he would have similar success in a different offensive scheme, and I doubt we'll find out - for a run oriented QB, he's now past his prime

- Kaep: obviously thrived under Roman and struggled after. There's some mitigating factors there since the Niners as a whole entered a down phase, and of course we never got to see whether he could succeed with a different team

- Lamar: as you note, two ways of looking at it. Roman is using his skill set perfectly, and he probably wouldn't be so good in another scheme? Or Roman is, at this point, actually holding back his development as a passer? My guess is that both are correct. I think he'll be a success under other schemes (Daboll and Allen style, or maybe Kingsbury and Kyler style), and I think we'll find out soon enough.

• Agree 1

I skipped this thread for a bit.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30748801/john-harbaugh-defends-baltimore-ravens-run-heavy-offense

- Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh offered a defiant rebuttal Wednesday to the criticism about his offense, saying he is "not apologizing" for Lamar Jackson's style of play or the team's run-oriented game plan.

Harbaugh's forceful support came four days after the Ravens tied a franchise postseason record for fewest points scored in a 17-3 divisional playoff loss to the Buffalo Bills. Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman received heavy flak for what many saw as a simplistic passing attack.

ALSO - 

We don't want any Diva WR's so don't come asking