The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

Shaw66

14 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

He is a vertical passer. Yes the wind had a huge impact as the bills were basically able to put 8-9 guys up close all game.

INT was bad and had nothing with the wind i will give you that.

But if you think the wind had nothing to do with his performance tonight, then you clearly have not watched him play much 

tua... over lamar?..... Dude.....

Pay attention, I put Tua in the maybe category. I'm not a Tua fan myself but I could definantly see GMs picking him over Lamar. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Man, I really like Lamar Jackson. The man gets criticized as much as Josh Allen by everyone. 

I hope he can bounce back and continue to defy expectations. 

He is someone I’ll always root for unless he’s playing the Bills. 

yup

He had the back pick 6 yes but kept them in the game with those terrible high snaps. 

also Greg Roman has no idea how to call pass plays. Lamar is very young and will learn 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Hasn't Roman failed to develop a QB, beyond the gimmicky RPOs and Read-Options and QB designed runs, at THREE (3) different stops now? Kaepernick, Taylor, and now Jackson have all failed to progress into dangerous passers once NFL defenses adjust to the dual threat stuff.

"Make him a QB" has been and is STILL the way to defense these Roman QBs. Maybe it's also the OC. Maybe. (I'm not sold, necessarily, just sayin.)

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t understand the obsession some people have with trying to convince people that someone else will fail. Lamar is a talented guy with exceptional running ability and some limitations as a passer. He can still improve as Josh has. His talent will win them a lot of games. Their receiver routes are pretty basic in Romans offense too. The Bills defense was exceptional tonight. That is the story.

4 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

I don’t understand the obsession some people have with trying to convince people that someone else will fail. Lamar is a talented guy with exceptional running ability and some limitations as a passer. He can still improve as Josh has. His talent will win them a lot of games. Their receiver routes are pretty basic in Romans offense too. The Bills defense was exceptional tonight. That is the story.

Well I hope you're ready for next weekend when the conversation will be centered on why Mahomes is simply a product of Andy Reid's scheme.

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

Hasn't Roman failed to develop a QB, beyond the gimmicky RPOs and Read-Options and QB designed runs, at THREE (3) different stops now? Kaepernick, Taylor, and now Jackson have all failed to progress into dangerous passers once NFL defenses adjust to the dual threat stuff.

"Make him a QB" has been and is STILL the way to defense these Roman QBs. Maybe it's also the OC. Maybe. (I'm not sold, necessarily, just sayin.)

None of those guys listed could properly read a defense or throw a receiver open on a consistent basis. Roman has worked miracles to make those QBs as successful as they were.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Unless they drastically change the rules where QB that run with the football get a automatic 10 yard Lamar is done. Lamar is TT with elite athletic ability. That might get u to the playoffs but you will never win a super bowl

I said from the moment he was drafted that unless he turns into a pocket qb he will eventually suffer the same fate as Vick & RG3. He's not built for the long haul. 

Honestly I like lamar, hes not cocky or aragant and he trys to win for his team. But when Harbaugh went all in on jackson for an offense i thought it was a mistake. His mvp season made me look like a fool, but I still felt like he couldn't win at the elite level with his style of play. And the bills showed it tonight, played hard nose football and completely went all in on making lamar beat you with his arm, and the bills came out on top.

1 minute ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

None of those guys listed could properly read a defense or throw a receiver open on a consistent basis. Roman has worked miracles to make those QBs as successful as they were.

That's definitely the broadly accepted narrative. Pretty sure I agree with it, too. Mostly.

But the pattern remains. Roman's offenses plateau, rather than progress.

I remember immediately after he was fired in Buffalo I waited on an 8-top table with several o-linemen--namely Incognito and Groy, but definitely another starter or two on the roster that I can't recall--and they were basically celebrating. Drinking heavily and openly pooping on Roman's play-calling, like he was a coordinator who didn't listen to his guys or focus on what they did well but wanted instead to outsmart opposing coordinators. They were not trying to hide their relief. Of course, over the years, I found Incognito in general to be louder and less professional than your average player.

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

He was sacked 4 times because he couldnt read the defense.  That had nothing to do with wind.  He threw an INT because he stared down his receiver on a play they run all the time and never saw the corner sitting there ready to jump the ball.  That had nothing to do with wind either.  The guy is a great athlete but either he isnt being developed because they are happy running the football or he can't be developed because he doesn't have the arm/smarts to pass the football.  Either way its not good.

Stopping him means keeping him from running all over you which has nothing to do with wind either.

That was pretty harsh. Lamar is a special athlete who can break a game wide open on one play. Granted its usually with his legs. He is not a great passer but he is adequate and does make plays. The wind pretty much took away much of the pass game. Even Allen struggled at times with very good protection.  He was 23 for 37 for 206 and 1 TD. Not exactly great. The Lamar int was bad as he did stare down the receiver with ample time to throw. The ravens didn't execute. Several horrific bad snaps. They had many dropped balls and played very conservative on offense. The Bills had constant pressure on Lamar too. There is plenty of blame to go around. Lamar will be fine. He should improve his passing. Certainly, his legs can make up for some of his defiencies. Look at ravens record with Lamar starting. It's very impressive. He won his first playoff game too. I really don't understand the Lamar hate. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

It's not the end, our QB is just better. Ravens got some great things going, they just need more options at WR. Brown is kind of a bust and Willie Snead is, well pesky and pretty awesome considering his situation but he's still just Willie Snead. They've got a great D-line, decent O-line, great backfield, A+ TE in 25 year old Mark Andrews. They need a Diggs and Beasley now, basically. Bills beat a good team tonight. The Ravens should be bugging us for years to come.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I said from the moment he was drafted that unless he turns into a pocket qb he will eventually suffer the same fate as Vick & RG3. He's not built for the long haul. 

Ehn if he turns into end of career Vick (Philly) I'd take that as a win for Baltimore. Once he learned to play QB in a west coast spread system like Reid ran, Vick was a solid QB. Now, if teams start following our defensive blueprint will he fade away? Last year and this year we took away his run game, and in the conditions today he clearly needed that running ability. If he can use the pocket mobility he was showing last night and throw from the pocket he may be fine. Baltimore needs a west coast scheme though I think for him to be successful

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

It's not the end, our QB is just better. Ravens got some great things going, they just need more options at WR. Brown is kind of a bust and Willie Snead is, well pesky and pretty awesome considering his situation but he's still just Willie Snead. They've got a great D-line, decent O-line, great backfield, A+ TE in 25 year old Mark Andrews. They need a Diggs and Beasley now, basically. Bills beat a good team tonight. The Ravens should be bugging us for years to come.

They need to hope for missed assignments broken plays and blown coverages.

If the Bills can do this to him the AFC North will be using this as their roadmap :)

Good Luck Lamar you needed to work on your passing skills. 

29 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Jackson needs to be able to throw on the boundaries. He can't. The Bills showed how to beat him last season and just did it again. You'll see a lot more of it next season until he can make those deep throws on the sides. 

I've been saying this all week.  They had a great game plan using Murphy and Epenesa as a third base LB.  That was the perfect plan to bring out Lamar’s flaws.  He’s had his worst two performances in two years against us.  TN was able to steal our plan last year, but they couldn’t pull it off this year.

Finally, this is off topic, but John Harbaugh was pure class after the game.  I really like that guy.

• Like (+1) 3

While I think that the wind helped us, in a weird way, making passing so much more difficult, and possibly being a factor in the botched snaps for the Ravens, the bottom line for the Ravens, is that as good as they can be in the run game, they really don't have a plan B when it doesn't work.

Once the Bills got ahead, it was hard for them to get back into it, because they don't use all the field, with their only real weapons in the passing game, being Andrews and Brown. Admittedly the pick 6 happened at about the best time for us, but with limited options in the passing game, they were a lot easier to defend in that respect. Taron was just sitting there, and wasn't having to cover anyone. (Still an awesome play mind)

The Ravens might still be capable of bulldozing their way to the playoffs for a few years yet, but they will struggle to progress further, without adding better passing elements to their offense - including pass protection, as they weren't very good there.

Lamar has the arm to make all the throws, but he's not being called upon to do so, so it becomes increasingly difficult to get right, when it's needed.