The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

Shaw66

5 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

He’s a very good young player.

He’s got flaws, (like most young players) but he’s a top 10 QB in this league and is under 25 years of age.

Yes, but consider how the Ravens are using him. Are they putting him through the QB gauntlet like the Bills did with Allen the first two years?

No. They paired him with Greg Roman, who's going to coddle him with a dynamic running scheme, just like he did with Kaepernick and Tyrod.

So, even though he's 25 and putting up great numbers, he's not going to take that next step towards becoming an elite QB.

Just now, Doc said:

They are (and along with the Colts are the 2 best defenses they'll face in the playoffs) but the wind was a clear detriment to the Bills' passing game.

Right.. So the clear answer is.. stop throwing deep balls.  at least at the pace they were first half. other then that I 100% agree

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Yes, but consider how the Ravens are using him. Are they putting him through the QB gauntlet like the Bills did with Allen the first two years?

No. They paired him with Greg Roman, who's going to coddle him with a dynamic running scheme, just like he did with Kaepernick and Tyrod.

So, even though he's 25 and putting up great numbers, he's not going to take that next step towards becoming an elite QB.

I am not even saying Lamar is an elite QB, but the hate on him is surreal to me.

He is inarguably a top 10 QB and is under 25 years of age, and has won an MVP, like give the kid a break bud...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He didn’t play well, but my god his center was a disaster. Got him injured too.

Center has been a problem for the Ravens all season.  Their starter, Matt Skura, got benched in Nov. after struggling with the snap.  Obviously Mekari has had his own adventures.

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not trying to dump on him. I'm just saying it is looking more and more like his style cannot carry you further than a participation trophy in the playoffs. Elite athleticism only gets you so far. Eventually you have to sit back and read the field and beat the coverage with your throw. He can't do it.

You aren't, some others are.  I agree overall that right now, the Ravens passing game is limited and represents a gap in their other teams can exploit

19 minutes ago, H2o said:

Jackson is a quality young man, who is an amazing athlete, and enjoyed a lot of success. He's still only 24. He's going to have to get better reading defenses and as a QB in general though before he will go any further. You shut him down running and he crumbles. It's been this way for years now. I actually think Roman may be more of a hindrance in the long run if they want to actually develop Lamar

It was commented when Roman was with the Bills, by some former QBs (not sure who, but I seem to remember more than one), that there were design limitations to Roman's passing game and that what was going on with the QB didn't always match what was going on downfield.  I think this is a reasonable question.

30 minutes ago, H2o said:

Jackson is a quality young man, who is an amazing athlete, and enjoyed a lot of success. He's still only 24. He's going to have to get better reading defenses and as a QB in general though before he will go any further. You shut him down running and he crumbles. It's been this way for years now. I actually think Roman may be more of a hindrance in the long run if they want to actually develop Lamar. 

Interesting point.

Here's my contrarian take on tonight's game (not on Lamar's development in general): Roman blew it by abandoning what works for the Ravens.

First 3 plays of the game:

1st & 10 at BAL 25

(15:00 - 1st) (Shotgun) G.Edwards up the middle to BLT 37 for 12 yards (J.Poyer).

1st & 10 at BAL 37

(14:17 - 1st) (Shotgun) G.Edwards left tackle to BLT 47 for 10 yards (T.White).

1st & 10 at BAL 47

(13:39 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Dobbins up the middle to BUF 44 for 9 yards (L.Wallace; T.Edmunds).

3 runs between the tackles, basically 3 first downs.

Next run goes outside, playing into the Bills' strength.

And then come the unnecessary passes.

With the wind tonight and given that the Bills' defensive weakness is stopping the power running game, it boggles the mind that they didn't stick with what was working, and with what had proven to work against the Bills defense this year.

Roman seems to want to show that he (and Lamar) can win by running a modern 2020s offense, so he got away from their strength. In bad weather like this, there's every chance that if the Ravens just stick with the run and avoid mistakes (granted, nothing much you can do about a center who can't snap the ball straight) this game is tied in the 4th quarter.

38 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

possible he wins another one.

Bills figured out how to stop him hmm.

Not like the huge wind had anything to do with that?

Did you not notice that Allen wasn’t on his A game tonight? ..

He was sacked 4 times because he couldnt read the defense.  That had nothing to do with wind.  He threw an INT because he stared down his receiver on a play they run all the time and never saw the corner sitting there ready to jump the ball.  That had nothing to do with wind either.  The guy is a great athlete but either he isnt being developed because they are happy running the football or he can't be developed because he doesn't have the arm/smarts to pass the football.  Either way its not good.

Stopping him means keeping him from running all over you which has nothing to do with wind either.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 6

18 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I am not even saying Lamar is an elite QB, but the hate on him is surreal to me.

He is inarguably a top 10 QB and is under 25 years of age, and has won an MVP, like give the kid a break bud...

Allen

Herbert

Burrow

Rogers

Watson

Wilson

Brady

Mayfield

Mahomes

Prescott

Soon to be Trevor Lawrence

Those are the guys all GMs would take over Lamar. Then there are the maybe guys like 

Tua

Darnold

Goff

Tannehill

Cousins

Stafford

Ryan

Carr

He is not a top 10 QB. If he was all GMs would want him and I dont think that is the case.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Gun said:

Allen

Herbert

Burrow

Rogers

Watson

Wilson

Brady

Mayfield

Mahomes

Prescott

Soon to be Trevor Lawrence

Those are the guys all GMs would take over Lamar. Then there are the maybe guys like 

Tua

Darnold

Goff

Tannehill

Cousins

Stafford

Ryan

Carr

He is not a top 10 QB. If he was all GMs would want him and I dont think that is the case.

Is this list a joke?....

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

No, he isn't a top 10 qb.

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

He was sacked 4 times because he couldnt read the defense.  That had nothing to do with wind.  He threw an INT because he stared down his receiver on a play they run all the time and never saw the corner sitting there ready to jump the ball.  That had nothing to do with wind either.  The guy is a great athlete but either he isnt being developed because they are happy running the football or he can't be developed because he doesn't have the arm/smarts to pass the football.  Either way its not good.

Stopping him means keeping him from running all over you which has nothing to do with wind either.

He is a vertical passer. Yes the wind had a huge impact as the bills were basically able to put 8-9 guys up close all game.

INT was bad and had nothing with the wind i will give you that.

But if you think the wind had nothing to do with his performance tonight, then you clearly have not watched him play much 

Just now, Big Gun said:

No your a joke for thinking he is a top 10 QB. 

tua... over lamar?..... Dude.....

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 1