The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

Shaw66

On 12/15/2020 at 3:23 PM, BillsToast said:

Much of this is true, but the Lamar era ends next year. Which GM wants to pay him $30 mil for a guy on his physical downside and needs that physicality just be good or decent? He won't have games like last night in 4 years from today. 

This is his window, he's earned it. He should be praised and he should be enjoyed. He's a great player, one of the greatest we've seen, but we have to recognize he's a short window athlete heading towards the end of greatness relatively fast. It's just a shame guys like him and great RBs won't be rewarded in FA anymore. He'll be a millionaire if he can save now, but I doubt he'll get top 10 starter money by the end of next year. If they pick up his 5th year option it's just to get meat from the bones.

Michael Vick had his best season at 30.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If we lose, it’s your fault @Shaw66

i thought that to myself when you made this post.  Been thinking about it since Sunday.  

I propose that you change your name to JuJuShawSchuster or leave the board forever if we lose.  

The thread that will not die.  I feel like Roman Castavet.

• Haha (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Michael Vick had his best season at 30.  

For several reasons:

1. Reid was his coach

2. His passes were significantly more accurate in Reid's system

3. He didn't play for a couple of years

In other words you can't compare them unless you want to sit Jackson for 2 years and hope he makes it to 30 and Vick was out for most of the season when he was younger from injury. 

19 minutes ago, QCity said:

It's less about his age, and more about years played in his style.

Running quarterbacks don't last.

But Lamar is not just another running Quarterback. It was my point in this thread and it remains my point to this day. Comparing him to Kaepernick or Tyrod or Tim Tebow or whoever else is asinine. The only guy who is close to comparable as an athlete at the Quarterback position is Michael Vick who before the age of 32 went 58-37 as an NFL starting Quarterback and that was missing two prime years through suspension. It was also in an era where NFL teams tried to force guys like Vick to fit into the prototype in a way Baltimore is not forcing on Lamar.

I accept there is likely a ceiling with Lamar Jackson's style of play. I didn't want him here in Buffalo but if people think he is just gonna get figured out and disappear some time soon cos that is what happened to Kaepernick they are barking up entirely the wrong tree. This kid is one of the best athletes to ever play in the NFL and even this year when everything he can do was surely on tape he ran for 1,000 yards and 7 scores, threw 26 passes to 9 picks and helped his team win 11 games.

He might not last the way Brady or Brees have... but for the next 7 or 8 years? Yea, he is gonna be a problem for teams to defend.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsToast said:

For several reasons:

1. Reid was his coach

In other words you can't compare them unless you want to sit Jackson for 2 years and hope he makes it to 30 and Vick was out for most of the season when he was younger from injury. 

Which great running QBs only last a couple years?  Rg3 and who?

2 minutes ago, BillsToast said:

For several reasons:

1. Reid was his coach

Quarterbacks get injured in the pocket more than they do running. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

But Lamar is not just another running Quarterback. It was my point in this thread and it remains my point to this day. Comparing him to Kaepernick or Tyrod or Tim Tebow or whoever else is asinine. The only guy who is close to comparable as an athlete at the Quarterback position is Michael Vick who before the age of 32 went 58-37 as an NFL starting Quarterback and that was missing two prime years through suspension. It was also in an era where NFL teams tried to force guys like Vick to fit into the prototype in a way Baltimore is not forcing on Lamar.

I accept there is likely a ceiling with Lamar Jackson's style of play. I didn't want him here in Buffalo but if people think he is just gonna get figured out and disappear some time soon cos that is what happened to Kaepernick they are barking up entirely the wrong tree. This kid is one of the best athletes to ever play in the NFL and even this year when everything he can do was surely on tape he ran for 1,000 yards and 7 scores, threw 26 passes to 9 picks and helped his team win 11 games.

He might not last the way Brady or Brees have... but for the next 7 or 8 years? Yea, he is gonna be a problem for teams to defend.

This.  Thanks for saving me the time.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BillsToast said:

For several reasons:

1. Reid was his coach

And you also can’t compare Lamar Jackson to any other running qb not named Michael Vick.  Not one of them could run like them. They are on another level as a runner.  

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

This has to be the dumbest thread ever created in this forum

someone plz delete this garbage 

Perfect cancel culture. Don't like another opinion, delete it. How about not agreeing and moving on and not decide what others can read or think.

• Like (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm kind of hoping your thread becomes prophetic this Saturday night and Lamar is saying...............

image.thumb.png.263df4e26e1e7911b400b3431cd392a7.png

Then I will go straight to the posters' Hall of Fame!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2