The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

Shaw66

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure the author is right about that "same core concepts" thing.  The reason I'm not sure he's right about that is because that's not what I hear Leslie Frazier and some of our players saying about it.

Nevertheless, what I take from the article:

1) significant downgrade on the OL both for pass and for run blocking

2) more pressure on Jackson

3) drop-off in the completion % for his long ball

I tend to think there may still be an element of "figured out" to it, in that with a whole season on tape, DCs can see how to shade the coverage to his strengths, and Jackson hasn't yet figured out how to level up his game to take advantage of what they're freeing up

It's far from "the end of an Era" but it might be true that last year's coronation of Lamar Jackson as headed straight for the HOF may have been premature

What my biggest issue is, is the instant coronations. 

These people need to prove it just like Josh has.  

Romans offense is said to be complicated, yet when you have a limited passer it’s easier to contain. 

Just like TT when he had to pass for more than 30 times a game he was 5 w and  20 l. (Not exact #  but that bad) 

At least Kyler is a QB. 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

7 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

What my biggest issue is, is the instant coronations. 

These people need to prove it just like Josh has.  

Romans offense is said to be complicated, yet when you have a limited passer it’s easier to contain. 

Just like TT when he had to pass for more than 30 times a game he was 5 w and  20 l. (Not exact #  but that bad) 

At least Kyler is a QB. 

Why bring up Kyler with hacks like Lamar and Tyrod ? 

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure the author is right about that "same core concepts" thing.  The reason I'm not sure he's right about that is because that's not what I hear Leslie Frazier and some of our players saying about it.

Nevertheless, what I take from the article:

1) significant downgrade on the OL both for pass and for run blocking

2) more pressure on Jackson

3) drop-off in the completion % for his long ball

I tend to think there may still be an element of "figured out" to it, in that with a whole season on tape, DCs can see how to shade the coverage to his strengths, and Jackson hasn't yet figured out how to level up his game to take advantage of what they're freeing up

It's far from "the end of an Era" but it might be true that last year's coronation of Lamar Jackson as headed straight for the HOF may have been premature

Yea the offensive line has struggled in the interior (not unlike our own here.... until Stanley went down they had been good on the outside struggled inside). I think the other big change is how many teams are now playing zone against them. Last year New England tried to man up on the backend to give them a free man to try and spy Jackson (they tried to use Duron Harmon as the dime in that role some as I recall). This year they learned from what other teams have had success with and mainly played zone. Keep all eyes on Lamar and don't worry about him converting the some runs for first downs. Make sure he isn't escaping from you on big runs by making one guy miss. Lamar had 55 yards and 4 runs for first downs last week. But they don't hurt you. He will run and get some in every game because of the athlete he is. What you have to do is make sure he doesn't beat you running by breaking the big one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/29/2020 at 9:10 AM, Halloween Land said:

Yeah the buzz will be about Allen vs Mahomes instead of Jackson vs Mahomes. Jackson is just an average thrower with limitations. 

And many of those limitations are a lack of offensive threats other than himself

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Has an NFL MVP fallen so fast so quick.  He's an okay QB at best.

Jackson is dependent on having an excellent offensive line. Every QB needs at least a decent one, mind you, but Jackson and the playbook Roman has built around Jackson is dependent on excellent OL play. They’ve been decimated by retirements and injuries. I think the ravens are cooked this year.

44 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

come on.  

He was crowned MVP and a winner with the same crew 

that is what happens when you crown someone too soon. 

he’s not an elite QB and he may never be   

He earned his MVP award. Im not sure why you go out of your way to diminish what he did. Its an award. It has to be given to someone. He had an MVP type season. Get over it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Lamar Jackson career tds: 74

Josh Allen career tds: 74

One of these guys was THE entire League’s MVP just last year, and last year the other guy was mostly considered by many to be marginal NFL QB, at best.

Not many in the general football population would guess that it was this close, don’t ya think?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1