The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

Shaw66

Just now, Ghost_002! said:

Not saying you...but I hate when fans act like that...hating cause another player gets hype or gets overly hype..like its the media's job to sell stars. IMO

"Like Jackson eat" he is no where as bad as fans act.

Can't argue with that...people also probably predicted lamar wouldn't be good because he can't throw so theyre rooting for that to be proven...kind of like the thing we hate that other fans do to us regarding josh allen 🤣

• Awesome! (+1) 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/ravens-lose-to-patriots-and-are-taking-steps-backward-especially-in-greg-romans-offense-041510579.html

Déjà vu

Ravens lose to Patriots and are taking steps backward, especially in Greg Roman's offense.

The Ravens had a lot coming back, added a few more key pieces, and it looked like this could be their year. Instead, they’ve already exceeded last season’s loss total. If there’s a hard-earned championship coming, the Ravens are going to have to get a lot better before January.

Baltimore looked bad on Sunday night against a New England Patriots team that is having its worst season since 2000. Jackson, the MVP last season, is nowhere near that award this season. The Ravens hung around because the Patriots aren’t equipped to blow a good team out, but they still lost 23-17.

The Ravens aren’t bad, but they’ve taken a step back. 

cont'd

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

they lost talent and on paper replaced some of them. 

apparently not well enough. 

Looking at the list of players they lost, there was no one special.  And they added Pro Bowlers Campbell and Ngakoue.  Everyone thought they'd dominate when they got Campbell for just a 5th rounder.

20 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think the hate was sort of created by the glowing praise he received last year...every player has flaws and makes mistakes but to hear announcers and analysts talk about mahomes and Jackson like they are some kind of divine beings got pretty old 🤣

Kinda like what they are doing with Murray this year. I'm sure Tua will be next if the Phins keep winning, even though he hasn't been stellar.

And not to make excuses for anyone, but that game was played in a raging monsoon last night. Newton wasn't great, NE just had the better running game.

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Kinda like what they are doing with Murray this year. I'm sure Tua will be next if the Phins keep winning, even though he hasn't been stellar.

And not to make excuses for anyone, but that game was played in a raging monsoon last night. Newton wasn't great, NE just had the better running game.

Exactly...lamar is still a great player he just can't reach the impossibly high bar that was set for him by the talking heads...that level of play last season as never going to continue its nothing against him.  It honestly could be Greg Roman at fault I dont think we watch enough ravens game film on this board to be able to have any idea what's going on 🤣 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Doc said:

Looking at the list of players they lost, there was no one special.  And they added Pro Bowlers Campbell and Ngakoue.  Everyone thought they'd dominate when they got Campbell for just a 5th rounder.

Isn't Calais Campbell injured?  I thought they mentioned it last night...how much the Ravens D misses him.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

from what I recall from local reports they lost good talent.  It may also include losses dating back to last season 

26 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Exactly...lamar is still a great player he just can't reach the impossibly high bar that was set for him by the talking heads...that level of play last season as never going to continue its nothing against him.  It honestly could be Greg Roman at fault I dont think we watch enough ravens game film on this board to be able to have any idea what's going on 🤣 

as was mentioned History repeating itself. 
look at SF, Buffalo and now Balto 

success followed by humdrum football. 
his “complex” playbook is still predictable because the QB is limited. 

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Jackson excuser?

Ravens' offensive backslide is not due to defenses figuring them out: Here are the real reasons why
Baltimore's system hasn't been figured out despite what many have suggested

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-offensive-backslide-is-not-due-to-defenses-figuring-them-out-heres-the-real-reasons-why/

The Ravens run most of the same core concepts as a lot of other NFL teams, just from different formations and with other bells and whistles they can attach because their quarterback has some skills no other player in the league (outside of perhaps Kyler Murray) possesses. 

kiss of death 

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The Ravens run most of the same core concepts as a lot of other NFL teams, just from different formations and with other bells and whistles they can attach because their quarterback has some skills no other player in the league (outside of perhaps Kyler Murray) possesses. 

kiss of death 

I'm not sure the author is right about that "same core concepts" thing.  The reason I'm not sure he's right about that is because that's not what I hear Leslie Frazier and some of our players saying about it.

Nevertheless, what I take from the article:

1) significant downgrade on the OL both for pass and for run blocking

2) more pressure on Jackson

3) drop-off in the completion % for his long ball

I tend to think there may still be an element of "figured out" to it, in that with a whole season on tape, DCs can see how to shade the coverage to his strengths, and Jackson hasn't yet figured out how to level up his game to take advantage of what they're freeing up

It's far from "the end of an Era" but it might be true that last year's coronation of Lamar Jackson as headed straight for the HOF may have been premature

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I tend to think there may still be an element of "figured out" to it, in that with a whole season on tape, DCs can see how to shade the coverage to his strengths, and Jackson hasn't yet figured out how to level up his game to take advantage of what they're freeing up

In playoffs it was stated by team playing Ravens "We watched on how Bills defended against Lemar Jackson/Ravens and adjusted scheme accordingly."

That is certainly "figuring it out".  I am not saying all teams had talent to adjust or even Bills will change of personnel, loss of personnel and injuries this year.

On 11/16/2020 at 4:37 PM, John from Riverside said:

I really think we can beat the Ravens in a playoff game

Our schedule might have been easier last year.....but our team is better then year and on pace for a better record.

I do feel we need to get our running game going so we can chew up clock at times we need to.

Oh, I totally agree, especially if it’s a home playoff game.

We almost beat them last year. And while the Ravens are still good, like you mentioned, the Bills are better this year than they were last year.

8 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Oh, I totally agree, especially if it’s a home playoff game.

We almost beat them last year. And while the Ravens are still good, like you mentioned, the Bills are better this year than they were last year.

Offense: Definitely better

Defense: Definitely worse but improving.  Defense's weaknesses are Raven's strength - Defending against run, seam and long ball

ST: Definitely better and definitely worse - varies week to week

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Offense: Definitely better

Defense: Definitely worse but improving.  Defense's weaknesses are Raven's strength - Defending against run, seam and long ball

ST: Definitely better and definitely worse - varies week to week

Good breakdown, bro.

I’d still say we’re a better team this year over last year though.