The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

Shaw66

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Interesting note, the 2020 Ravens offense is 31st in passing attempts and passing yards.  #1 in rushing attempts and #1 in rushing yards. 

While I'm a big fan of a good run game...I'd rather have Josh Allen and the Buffalo offense. :D

I thought that offense would be your dream scenario 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This makes me want to pull up all the posts and comments I made last year when I said this very thing would happen and people wanted to argue it.  

Makes me want to dig the posts up where I said Allen will have the better career as a QB than Lamar and would rather have him still even after he won MVP and people mocked that.

Makes me want to bring up all the posts where I pointed out gimmick offenses like this never last and people argued he was the MVP.  

This is where I just causally insert:  I told you so.

Im no Lamar hater, I loved watching him play in college and enjoy watching him in the NFL.  And he will still be a dangerous QB, but he is literally what Vick was before him.  Took the league by fire quickly, and defenses just didn't have the answers initially.  But once they found a way to limit the damage on the ground, the limitations as a passer began to hold the offense back.  

I still think Lamar will have a long and successful career, and he could even still win a SB, maybe even this year with how good the defense is.  But anytime you have to run a gimmicky offense to mask the deficiencies of the offense, then you leave the door wide open for Defenses to understand how to exploit that.  Not every defense they face will have the talent to do so, but once you get to the playoffs, defenses become a bigger factor in games and so far, they have been able to stall Lamar and the Ravens.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

It's a total "chicken or the egg" debate. I think he's the most important player on the team.

Murray is really good...still wonder how a little guy like him holds up long term, but the ability is there.

With the way things are set up, he likely is the most important individual. Put in a different OC with a regular offensive system and I don't believe he would do to well. That's the problem. Teams that can contain him and stop the run while also locking down the seam pass will stop them most of the day. We did just last year. Our problem was we had no offense.

I dont believe they will win a SuperBowl with Lamar. Too many good teams either have the offense to out shoot them or have the defense to stop them or both in the playoffs. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

With the way things are set up, he likely is the most important individual. Put in a different OC with a regular offensive system and I don't believe he would do to well. That's the problem. Teams that can contain him and stop the run while also locking down the seam pass will stop them most of the day. We did just last year. Our problem was we had no offense.

I dont believe they will win a SuperBowl with Lamar. Too many good teams either have the offense to out shoot them or have the defense to stop them or both in the playoffs. 

The Bills don't get to claim any blueprint - LJ threw 3 TDs and we lost.  The "blueprint" for any great QB is the same - get pressure with 4, drop the rest into zone, and spy the QB if mobile. Easy in concept, extremely difficult to execute. 

I mentioned it a few pages ago, but I think the ceiling is still murky with Lamar. We saw some great flashes of it last year, but clearly, he can't run for 1200 a year. I don't know what his average season will look like long term, but it might be something between his 2019 and 2020 performance. Time will tell. 

WIn a Super Bowl... we'll see. It's hard as hell to do it. Some incredible QBs have only one ring. Do I think Lamar, until proven otherwise, gets you into January? Absolutely. Can he take you the distance? Maybe. I think he'll get at least one. 

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

“They’re calling out our plays, stuff like that,” Jackson told Eisen, via ESPN. “They know what we’re doing. Sometimes, stuff won’t go our way, if they’re beating us to the punch.”

Yes, Jackson confirmed, other teams are calling out the Ravens’ plays.

“Yeah, they definitely do,” Jackson said. “Like ‘run’ and stuff like that. ‘Watch out for this; watch out for that.’ Sometimes that’s what’s going on.”

Memo to Lamar: that may just be what happens when teams get enough tape on you.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

“Like ‘run’ and stuff like that. ‘Watch out for this; watch out for that.’

Run? Yeah, that's a tough one to call against the Ravens. 

It's clearly not working. #1 in the league in rushing yards (again). 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

The Bills don't get to claim any blueprint - LJ threw 3 TDs and we lost.  The "blueprint" for any great QB is the same - get pressure with 4, drop the rest into zone, and spy the QB if mobile. Easy in concept, extremely difficult to execute.

Well, I could mis-remember, but I recall Leslie Frazier talking about how the Ravens offense differed in some regards before we played them last year.

I had the impression that where other teams went wrong was in trying exactly what you describe - playing the Ravens like a regular, albeit quality, NFL offense.

My impression is that Frazier and McDermott went "all-in" on saying "this is a different style of offense, and we're going to craft our defense to match it".  I'll see if I can find some of the stuff that Cover1 and so forth did analyzing how the Bills played the Ravens, Zo Alexander talking about it and so forth.    Micah Hyde said in an interview it was the most film he'd ever watched preparing for a game.

We did hold the Ravens to a season-low in total yards and one of their lower point totals in a win.

7 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Run? Yeah, that's a tough one to call against the Ravens. 

It's clearly not working. #1 in the league in yards (again). 

Yeah, they may not be meeting their own expectations, but they're 6-2 and their losses are to what are arguably the 2 best teams in the AFC KC and the Stillers (sorry to My Bills but KC beat us and the Stillers being unbeaten so far).  They're still a very good team.

I assume you mean in "rush YPG" as I think the Ravens are 23rd (or something like that) in total YPG

Cardinals are surprisingly close to them, though.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

It's almost like they have a very specific method of attack.

That was wild. I expected some more context, not a gotcha moment or anything, but that statement to be relevant to the conversation. 

Dude just said that unprovoked...for no reason...He then mentioned "it's just play calling really" and goes on to say "we just wait until half time and coach tells us what he sees"...

Unsure if he is trying to get him or his OC fired, or is he just oblivious that this is not what he should be saying to the national media? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I could mis-remember, but I recall Leslie Frazier talking about how the Ravens offense differed in some regards before we played them last year.

I had the impression that where other teams went wrong was in trying exactly what you describe - playing the Ravens like a regular, albeit quality, NFL offense.

My impression is that Frazier and McDermott went "all-in" on saying "this is a different style of offense, and we're going to craft our defense to match it".  I'll see if I can find some of the stuff that Cover1 and so forth did analyzing how the Bills played the Ravens, Zo Alexander talking about it and so forth.    Micah Hyde said in an interview it was the most film he'd ever watched preparing for a game.

We did hold the Ravens to a season-low in total yards and one of their lower point totals in a win.

That be an interesting post to see.  Gap discipline is critical against any option attack, and you'd want to make Mark Andrew's life miserable. If you wanted to spy Lamar's 4.3 speed, there are only a handful of guys in the league who might be able to handle him. Milano ankles certainly didn't keep up. 

Season low in yardage and points, this is where I see the Ravens as such a "high floor" team. Since he became the starter, they've got 30 games in a row with 20+ points. They may not be able to hang in a 40 point shootout with Mahomes, but who can? I'm sure they'll have an actual dud game eventually, but we're still waiting... 

Funny thread. Like you said, 6-2, only losing to the two best teams in the AFC. I think the "Lamar has been figured out" takes hold some water when he starts 16 games and they go 6-10. That article was kind of vague, more than anything , its a "foot in mouth" moment for Lamar. You need to keep that stuff in house. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

1 hour ago, Mango said:

That was wild. I expected some more context, not a gotcha moment or anything, but that statement to be relevant to the conversation. 

Dude just said that unprovoked...for no reason...He then mentioned "it's just play calling really" and goes on to say "we just wait until half time and coach tells us what he sees"...

Unsure if he is trying to get him or his OC fired, or is he just oblivious that this is not what he should be saying to the national media? 

I’m going with - oblivious 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m going with - oblivious 

Same, didn't he say something about learning how to hold the ball better last year? He kind of seems to say things without thinking how other people are going to take it.

Edited by Warcodered

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Same, didn't he say something about learning how to hold the ball better last year? He kind of seems to say things without thinking how other people are going to take it.

Yeah and something 2019 offseason about not realizing he would have a new offense to learn with a new OC

The Chiefs, certainly seem to have the Ravens number.

Week 3, 2020. Lamar Jackson 15 of 28 for 97 yards, 1 TD, 4 sacks. rating 73.1

Meanwhile, Mahomes against that Ravens defense #1 in points allowed, #8 in yards allowed 31 of 42 for 385 yards, 4 TDs, 133.5 rate. 

The Chiefs beat the Ravens last season too. The Titans used the Bills defensive scheme to beat the Ravens in the playoffs last season 28-12.

On another note, Darn good thing the Bills found their run game against New England on that cold and rainy, windy day. Winter is coming! 

So when I said that I thought Jackson lacked the focus to be consistently great year after year and struck me as a guy who would have an MVP year then read his own press clippings and maybe not work as hard, I wasn't insane? Strange, because so many on here told me I was was...

I said last year if defenses put 7 in the box, 2 either spy and or run/pass blitz  then third and long have heavy coverage and no more then 4 in the box that by doing this he could not sustain long drives. the problem last year is they respected his running ability on 3rd and 7+,. 2nd and 8+ giving him easy throws. when we played them last year our defense showed other teams how to beat him. now its become easier

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

The Chiefs, certainly seem to have the Ravens number.

Week 3, 2020. Lamar Jackson 15 of 28 for 97 yards, 1 TD, 4 sacks. rating 73.1

Meanwhile, Mahomes against that Ravens defense #1 in points allowed, #8 in yards allowed 31 of 42 for 385 yards, 4 TDs, 133.5 rate. 

The Chiefs beat the Ravens last season too. The Titans used the Bills defensive scheme to beat the Ravens in the playoffs last season 28-12.

On another note, Darn good thing the Bills found their run game against New England on that cold and rainy, windy day. Winter is coming! 

One blown play cost the Bills the ballgame. 

Tennessee shut him down in the playoffs too.