The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

Shaw66

Sure, there are plenty of other places where a finger can get pointed.
Offensive coordinator Greg Roman’s questionable play call at the end of the game deserves some critique.

The defense had a bit of a collapse in the second half. The officials didn’t do Baltimore any favors.

But the most important guy on the field — Jackson — caused the most damage to the Ravens’ chances.

Jackson committed four turnovers on the day, with two more nearly going Pittsburgh’s way. Three of those turnovers effectively took a minimum of 13 points off the board in favor of Baltimore and were the deciding factor in who won Sunday.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lamar-jackson-single-handedly-lost-154240132.html

lol blame the officials

7 hours ago, Greg S said:

I think Pitt will beat KC if they play in the AFC championship game. IMHO Pitt is the best team in football. 7-0 and coming off back to back road wins at Ten and Bal.

I love the Steelers right now but chiefs win that matchup imo. Steelers D strength is takeaways. I think chiefs would throw and run all over them

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

50/50 imo

those 3TE sets they ran last year were monsters

Yeah, I think it was you who corrected me when I didn't realize the Ravens had traded Hayden Hurst.  I couldn't believe it, because those sets were so successful for them and he was a monster. 

7 hours ago, syhuang said:

Defensive player has right to catch the ball just like the offensive player. Fitzpatrick was in position to make an interception. You can't throw a flag for incidental contact like this.

Looks like the Steelers player was making a play on the ball to me.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, I think it was you who corrected me when I didn't realize the Ravens had traded Hayden Hurst.  I couldn't believe it, because those sets were so successful for them and he was a monster. 

It was a great play by the defender. But the pass was a TD by Lamar if that doesn’t occur. Narrative totally different today if so but Steelers make the play. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was a great play by the defender. But the pass was a TD by Lamar if that doesn’t occur. Narrative totally different today if so but Steelers make the play. 

Is it though? Throwing into a window where the defenders were able to sandwich the guy like that seems to me he was trying to force it to a guy that was pretty well covered.

• Like (+1) 3

Jackson will be around for a while. He will feast against the lower tier teams and beat most of the average teams. He is not a good enough passer to beat the elite teams imo. He is unstoppable when they have the lead most of the time. He is very limited when they are behind. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That's often true, right?  If Peters didn't make a good play on Allen's pass to John Brown at the end of the game last year and we tie the game, different narrative there.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'd like to see if anyone was open on either sideline.  Jackson, as always, went to the middle of the field and this time to a guy who was triple (nearly quadruple) covered.  And yes ... there was no penalty on that play at all.

36 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Is it though? Throwing into a window where the defenders were able to sandwich the guy like that seems to me he was trying to force it to a guy that was pretty well covered.

I didn't see the play live, much less all-22.  Sometimes at the end of the game near the goal line, there aren't uncovered choices.

2 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

He's missing some throws, no doubt. He's still having a good year, but it's just that, good.

I want to see some games where he gets back to peak MVP form! 

I mean he’s 27th in yards and attempts, 30th in completion %, 22nd in ANY/A

That’s an objectively bad borderline terrible half season of throwing the football

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean he’s 27th in yards and attempts, 30th in completion %, 22nd in ANY/A

That’s an objectively bad borderline terrible half season of throwing the football

Yards/attempts is more of a function of his offense. Last year, he was very efficient on those attempts, this year, not so much. Reasonable critique on ANY/A and completion.

Bad/terrible play?I think that's overdone, but if these are the only stats we want to look at, it's not that egregious. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

6 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Yards/attempts is more of a function of his offense. Last year, he was very efficient on those attempts, this year, not so much. Reasonable critique on ANY/A and completion.

Bad/terrible play?I think that's overdone, but if these are the only stats we want to look at, it's not that egregious. 

It’s fair points re: the offense but from what I’ve seen he still isn’t capable of throwing that team to a significant W

and he has looked bad in their biggest games thus far

11 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

He's missing some throws, no doubt. He's still having a good year, but it's just that, good.

I want to see some games where he gets back to peak MVP form! 

Why ?    The Ravens are in the AFC

I hope he loses in the first round of the playoffs 5 more times. 

More Lamar Dalton please.  

Edited by Teddy KGB

28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It’s fair points re: the offense but from what I’ve seen he still isn’t capable of throwing that team to a significant W

and he has looked bad in their biggest games thus far

The Chiefs, Steelers and Titans have had his number, otherwise, he's been pretty unstoppable. I think he has the best W/L record in modern NFL history (Saw that as an insight on the NFL gametracker) since he became a starter. Like I've said though, the "win a big game" is  a fair critique. When you're the MVP,  the expectation is that your team is going deep into the playoffs. He needs to deliver.

"Isn't capable of throwing that team to a win"...those 5 TD games, or 150+ passer performances, would check the boxes for me. Of course, I think you can't isolate the running from his performance, because he can win games just through that ability.

21 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Why ?    The Ravens are in the AFC

I hope he loses in the first round of the playoffs 5 more times. 

More Lamar Dalton please.  

I love competitive football, and Josh VS Lamar, Mahomes or Watson in January is great football.

Lamar Dalton LOL - 0-2 in the postseason isn't that horrific.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

6 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

The Chiefs, Steelers and Titans have had his number, otherwise, he's been pretty unstoppable. I think he has the best W/L record in modern NFL history (Saw that as an insight on the NFL gametracker) since he became a starter. Like I've said though, the "win a big game" is  a fair critique. When you're the MVP,  the expectation is that your team is going deep into the playoffs. He needs to deliver.

"Isn't capable of throwing that team to a win"...those 5 TD games, or 150+ passer performances, would check the boxes for me. Of course, I think you can't isolate the running from his performance, because he can win games just through that ability.

I love competitive football, and Josh VS Lamar, Mahomes or Watson in January is great football.

Lamar Dalton LOL - 0-2 in the postseason isn't that horrific.

Again all fair I think we disagree fundamentally on his abilities 

• Like (+1) 1

As strange as it sounds.... because I agree Lamar wasn't good on Sunday.... it almost felt a bit like a step forward for the Ravens in the sense that when they have got behind to good teams the last couple of times the game has got out of hand fast. It didn't on Sunday and the lead swapped and changed and it was a good football game. They didn't quite make enough of the critical plays to win it but it was a better effort than their ones against the Titans in the playoffs and Chiefs early this year. They were right there in this game despite Pittsburgh getting ahead a couple of times and despite making some mistakes with turnovers that should get you beat.

It is absolutely right though that eventually Lamar has to make those plays at the end of the game if he wants to be an upper echelon QB. Those plays where you can't be balanced because the clock dictates you gotta throw. I thought the ball down the seam - which he does throw very well - to set them up was a great throw. He just couldn't make the one they needed right there.

Jackson isn't as good as the media made him sound last year but he is a QB you can win play-off games with and likely a championship.  He's just not in the same class with Mahomes, no one is right now.  Some writers tried so sell that he was the #1 QB in the league which he isn't.  The Ravens have done an outstanding job of playing up his strengths and masking his shortcomings but he clearly has some.  I suspect that the QB rankings after Mahomes will fluctuate week to week.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HT02 said:

Jackson isn't as good as the media made him sound last year but he is a QB you can win play-off games with and likely a championship.  He's just not in the same class with Mahomes, no one is right now.  Some writers tried so sell that he was the #1 QB in the league which he isn't.  The Ravens have done an outstanding job of playing up his strengths and masking his shortcomings but he clearly has some.  I suspect that the QB rankings after Mahomes will fluctuate week to week.

Isn't the bolded still to be proven? I think the truth on Lamar is somewhere between "MVP who has revolutionised the league" and "the era is over". But until he has proven he is a QB you can win playoff games with can we really call him that? And no, I am not a hypocrite, I would say the same about Allen or any other QB who hasn't won in the post-season despite opportunities.

• Like (+1) 1