The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

Shaw66

1 minute ago, FUTURIST said:

I wouldn't underestimate them, but they are a flawed team in a brutal conference.  The way they are built they have no chance of ever beating the Chiefs, and they will have a real tough time beating the Steelers or even the Colts.  Their passing attack is awful and they just lost a major part of their O line.  They are not winning anything this year. 

I’m not predicting the Ravens to win anything. Flawed or not, they’re a good team and a tough out for most other teams in the league.  They kicked the Steelers’ asses up and don’t the field yesterday and the Steelers are good in their own right. 

And everybody else is chasing the Chiefs at the moment. 

Just now, K-9 said:

I’m not predicting the Ravens to win anything. Flawed or not, they’re a good team and a tough out for most other teams in the league.  They kicked the Steelers’ asses up and don’t the field yesterday and the Steelers are good in their own right. 

I think Pitt will beat KC if they play in the AFC championship game. IMHO Pitt is the best team in football. 7-0 and coming off back to back road wins at Ten and Bal.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, K-9 said:

I can see the Steelers, Colts, and Titans beating the Chiefs if things go their way.  I see no scenario where a team that can't pass the ball beat the Chiefs.  

3 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

I wouldn't underestimate them, but they are a flawed team in a brutal conference.  The way they are built they have no chance of ever beating the Chiefs, and they will have a real tough time beating the Steelers or even the Colts.  Their passing attack is awful and they just lost a major part of their O line.  They are not winning anything this year. 

The Ravens are first and foremost a defense first team.  Look at all the primo additions the last two years and they are squarely on the defensive side of the ball.  Their defense will keep games close.  Their running game is good enough to win 5 out of every 6 games they play.   It will depend on their draw in the playoffs how far they go.  Get an easier draw and get a win, that defense can carry them forward.  I don't see anyone, including Pittsburgh with the chops to beat KC unless weather equalizes the playing field.  You're right, losing Stanley at LT is a major loss for them.

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I think Pitt will beat KC if they play in the AFC championship game. IMHO Pitt is the best team in football. 7-0 and coming off back to back road wins at Ten and Bal.

I agree, the Steelers are for real. But the Ravens dominated their defense yesterday. 

39 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/02/hollywood-brown-apparently-isnt-happy-with-his-role/

Not everyone is happy in Ravens' Land apparently. The lack of utilization via play calling or Lamar's inability to get the ball to his WR's on a consistent basis isn't giving Marquise Brown that warm and fuzzy feeling. 

I've said many times that it must be discouraging playing WR for the Ravens. But OL, TE? Must be fun.

They had 265 yards of rushing yesterday! And it's typical they have more rushing than passing. They are the opposite of the Chiefs. They are set up so if they win, they bring the hammer and misery. If they are behind by a lot, they have little chance to come back. But so far, they deliver.

18 hours ago, Trogdor said:

If the NFL was a place where physical plays happen in the secondary, I would totally agree. Unfortunately players are almost always flagged for hitting too hard now. Add in the fact that there was contact to the head and I'm just surprised. His hand being in there and being at the right height was amazing though. 

Defensive player has right to catch the ball just like the offensive player. Fitzpatrick was in position to make an interception. You can't throw a flag for incidental contact like this.

Edited by syhuang

8 minutes ago, syhuang said:

Defensive player has right to catch the ball just like the offensive player. Fitzpatrick was in position to make an interception. You can't throw a flag for incidental contact like this.

He was playing the ball not the man.  No foul.

They never do seem to call face guarding anymore.

4 hours ago, syhuang said:

They can and they do throw flags for this. There is a whole other defender taking his legs out and in 2020 thats a flag more often than not. I'm not arguing that I agree that it should be a penalty, but this is what football is now. They just don't seem to enforce it against everyone. 

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What would the flag on the last play have been for?

Defenseless receiver or the fact that he got hit in the head. Again though, I'm not saying it wasn't a good play, just that in todays NFL that gets called a lot.  

44 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

They can and they do throw flags for this. There is a whole other defender taking his legs out and in 2020 thats a flag more often than not. I'm not arguing that I agree that it should be a penalty, but this is what football is now. They just don't seem to enforce it against everyone. 

Defenseless receiver or the fact that he got hit in the head. Again though, I'm not saying it wasn't a good play, just that in todays NFL that gets called a lot.  

Do you mind sharing a video of a defenseless receiver flag like this when the defender playing the ball has incidental contact with the offensive player?

Edited by syhuang

Fun thread. I picked my "hill to die on", I guess I need to defend it.

Yes, he is in a a slump. The more important question is "can he break out of it"? I'd argue yes. I like to think that QBs that can throw 5 TDs OR run for 150+ yards can figure it out.

Even in a down year, he's pacing for 27 TDs / 9 Picks for 3069 yards passing, 939 yards and 4 TDs running. That's how high the bar is with Lamar - think about that! If your QB can produce that type of offense year after year, you're going to contend for championships.

While I think the "he can't win big games" and "he can't throw outside" takes are way overdone, they are clearly the narrative against him right now, and that's OK. It comes with the MVP territory. Barring a complete catastrophe, the Ravens will be in the playoffs this year, and he'll have some opportunities to change those narratives.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Me either. Hes a dynamic athlete, but when I saw him live last year my take away was "great athlete, ok passer"

Hmm, great athlete; o.k. passer. Where have I heard that one before? He hurdles over defenders, throws the ball 70 yards in the air, then misses badly on an easy out ... hold on a sec, I'm thinking, I'm thinking ...

NFL: Buffalo Bills at Minnesota Vikings

5 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

I've said many times that it must be discouraging playing WR for the Ravens. But OL, TE? Must be fun.

They had 265 yards of rushing yesterday! And it's typical they have more rushing than passing. They are the opposite of the Chiefs. They are set up so if they win, they bring the hammer and misery. If they are behind by a lot, they have little chance to come back. But so far, they deliver.

And that's the hallmark of a Greg Roman offense. He can beat you with the run nine different ways to Sunday, and will crank out wins if they hold a lead for most of the game. If they're behind by 10 or more and need to start throwing more than running, they're in trouble. Roman's passing concepts are relatively easy to defend and they really don't have anything special at WR. I mean, Brown is good but he can't do it all himself. His TEs are solid but overall their passing game isn't to be feared. 

5 hours ago, Greg S said:

I would not  say that

they have won a bunch of close games that Pittsburgh was trailing or had a one score lead and the other team had the ball to take the lead in late 3rd or 4th.

only one game agsinst the Browns was one sided.

11 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

And that's the hallmark of a Greg Roman offense. He can beat you with the run nine different ways to Sunday, and will crank out wins if they hold a lead for most of the game. If they're behind by 10 or more and need to start throwing more than running, they're in trouble. Roman's passing concepts are relatively easy to defend and they really don't have anything special at WR. I mean, Brown is good but he can't do it all himself. His TEs are solid but overall their passing game isn't to be feared. 

His run offense was awesome when he was here as well. So much variety. I'm actually surprised it isn't copied more!

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Fun thread. I picked my "hill to die on", I guess I need to defend it.

Yes, he is in a a slump. The more important question is "can he break out of it"? I'd argue yes. I like to think that QBs that can throw 5 TDs OR run for 150+ yards can figure it out.

Even in a down year, he's pacing for 27 TDs / 9 Picks for 3069 yards passing, 939 yards and 4 TDs running. That's how high the bar is with Lamar - think about that! If you're QB can produce that type of offense year after year, you're going to contend for championships.

While I think the "he can't win big games" and "he can't throw outside" takes are way overdone, they are clearly the narrative against him right now, and that's OK. It comes with the MVP territory. Barring a complete catastrophe, the Ravens will be in the playoffs this year, and he'll have some opportunities to change those narratives.

The TDs are nice but realistically the guy is not having a good year throwing the football

• Like (+1) 1