The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

Shaw66

On 9/29/2020 at 7:12 PM, formerlyofCtown said:

So far this season as a passer, yes.  If you read my other post I do put a disclaimer in there.  You can't say at any point in any season that Lamar has looked to be in the same league as Mahomes.  That just isn't who he is.  They will likely never have the rushing yards he will.  He is a different kind of QB.

Because the MVP should have gone to Wilson.  You can't have a 145 yard 1TD and 3 Int game and others like that as well as costing your team a playoff game and be the MVP.  IMO.  If you took those games like the one he just played away from last season I would agree he was the undisputed MVP but you can't take those away.

I do have doubts about Lamar long term so I get that.  With any of these guys you want them to be able to succeed as a "pocket passer" if they need to.  The guys who play into their 40's don't do what Lamar does.   Athleticism here and  there, sure but it cant be the go to long term.  He has been extraordinarily effective to this point in his career even with some limitations.  I think he is 24-4 as a starter....often people here would defend Allen based on wins and losses, the argument has some validity to it.  I was reacting more to comparing Lamar to Allen AND Mahomes as if Allen and Mahomes are in the same class but Jackson is something else.  Both of those guys have had MVP seasons.  Allen has had 3 weeks where you could argue is in MVP discussions but it's only three weeks....a lot of anomalies occur in three weeks.   I guess I am shell shocked and still want to see Allen perform over a longer period of time.

Lamar can't win the game because of a playoff game....that is one way to look at it...but they give that away before they even play the super bowl right?  So is the intent to look over the entire season or mostly its a regular season thing?  Wilson is the best in the league right now with Mahomes right next to him almost neck and neck.  

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Shaw's title simply reflects the media hype around Lamar. In the MNF pre-games show they compared Mahomes- Jackson to  Kelly-Marino and Brady-Manning.  Mahomes actually qualifies for this. Including Jackson in anyway in this stratosphere at this point is laughable. Discussing Jacksons 2019 regular season as one of the great personnel regular seasons in NFL history is fair and fine.  

Thanks- I understood the substance of it. Just pointing out that a few years in the NFL hardly makes an era. Brady, Brees, etc... is an era. Go Bills 😊

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL has so much chatter in between games as your team only plays once a week that it leads to over reactions on a weekly basis and that is compounded with the "hot takes" media environment we live in. This week Allen is a potential MVP candidate and if he struggles some against the Raiders it will be a bunch of haters saying "see I told you he was bad". If you remain somewhat level about Lamar you could say the following:

1. Using era is too strong to begin seeing as Jackson's strong play has lasted just about a 1 and a half. 

2. During his time as a starter, Jackson has been a problem for defenses to defend and I expect that to continue as long as he remains healthy. 

3. If the Ravens get a lead and keep going in at halftime, chances are they are going to win. The offense wears defenses down and he is a dynamic runner with the ability to make big passing plays when things are going well and they often do. 

4. If the Ravens get down because Lamar is being defended well early and the opposing offense is scoring on their tough defense then it is a problem for the Ravens to come back and win. Jackson will have some games that he does bring his team back from being down in the second half but more often than not, when Jackson is put in a must passing situation, he is going to struggle. 

5. Expect the Ravens and Jackson to be good for the next 5 years or as long as Jackson remains an outlier in terms of his running ability for the quarterback position. Again, the Ravens are difficult to prepare for and regular season games he will have more success than not against teams that have not seen this type of offense or are ill equipped to stop it.

6. Also, expect Jackson to continue to have postseason struggles. In the playoffs teams have a ton of tape to study and their staffs have been breaking down the playoff teams even before they start in preparation. Players are dialed in and the level of preparation and study is goes up a level. Teams also tend to be better in the playoffs as that is why they are there and in that way tend to be more equipped defensively to matchup or slow down Jackson. Also, the opposing offenses tend to be better and are likely to score more points against the Ravens defense putting Jackson in more uncomfortable positions. 

7. With 5 and 6, it will be a tall task for Jackson to win the necessary 3-4 games in a row against good to great opponents. It will not be impossible as we have seen much lesser quarterbacks get to and win SBs but it is not something that I would expect to happen, especially with Mahomes in the conference. 

8. Most likely outcome is Ravens win some in the playoffs but continue to lose before getting to SB. Jackson's athletic ability declines over time and by the time he is 30 he is done being a "problem" to defend. 

9. Jackson is so limited as a passer (little better than Tebow was but not by a wide margin) that as soon as injury or significant athletic decline occurs his "era" of being a problem and playoff team will be done. 

10. I don't see a way that Jackson could develop into a "pocket passer/extend the play" quarterback as he just does not have that skill set. He has a funky delivery, limited arm strength when throwing to the outside and his anticipation and reading of defenses is raw because he has not and will not need to develop those skills until he no longer has the rare running ability. His rare running ability is also his "curse" as far an longevity goes. It will cause a quicker athletic decline (I know the stats about injuries in the pocket and outside the pocket) but the fact is if he runs the ball 180 times a year or so he is still running, cutting, falling and getting hit sometimes and over time this all wears on the joints and body. It adds up and leads to a quicker decline. His athletic ability also gives him different looks and coverages. He rarely gets experience passing against more complicated coverages because he does not have to play the in the pocket game unless they are down at the end of games and that is rare. The limited experience he will get in those obvious passing situations will not allow him to get better at it and that is his "curse". Immediate gains but no longevity and a narrow path at getting to the very top (winning SB). 

11. But that is all down the road stuff that the Ravens organization can deal with in time. In the meantime, Jackson is still and will continue to be a problem.

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

, Lamar at times plays and is used as a tailback- he will be part of the Not For Long league.

The "Lamar's a RB" takes are hysterical.

I've posted numerous videos in this thread about his ability to make plays in the pocket, showcasing his accuracy, ball velocity, vision and movement in the

pocket. Help me out and post some videos that show the opposite.

If Josh can continue to make strides in his game, so can Lamar.

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, QCity said:

lol The end of an era. But he's probably only going to win 1 Super Bowl going forward. What a trainwreck. 

probably only going to win 1 Super Bowl going forward is as bold as saying his era has ended.  

GOOD TEAMS can shut him down.   It's happened a few times ...  twice int he playoffs.  

Make him a QB.   

2 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

The "Lamar's a RB" takes are hysterical.

I've posted numerous videos in this thread about his ability to make plays in the pocket, showcasing his accuracy, ball velocity, vision and movement in the

If Josh can continue to make strides in his game, so can Lamar.

I can crunch some numbers. Ive never said he is bad in the pocket, that would be others. I am stating that he runs “a lot” and through time, historically speaking, that doesn’t lend to a long career. 

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

probably only going to win 1 Super Bowl going forward is as bold as saying his era has ended.  

GOOD TEAMS can shut him down.   It's happened a few times ...  twice int he playoffs.  

Make him a QB.   

Even Aaron Rodgers has won only one SB.  And that doesn't stop him from being a  great QB

22 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

I can crunch some numbers. Ive never said he is bad in the pocket, that would be others. I am stating that he runs “a lot” and through time, historically speaking, that doesn’t lend to a long career. 

I think his rushing attempts will decrease over time, much like Russel Wilson did, as he continues to develop as a passer. He'll always be a threat to take off and run.

Historically speaking - he's in uncharted territory with the running AND passing prowess he has showcased in his short career (that's the point). 

Just like Josh, we haven't seen his true ceiling yet, and I'm really excited to watch Lamar continue to dominate in this league. He'll join the $40M+ club soon and likely win a championship, or multiples, in time.

I don't see any reason to have anything but optimism for him.

Lamar has elite running ability, below average passing ability. He took the league by storm in Romans offense, like Tyrod did, I for see a similar down trend, like Taylor as teams learn how to better defense Roman and Jackson. It's inevitable, it's happened time and again to running QBs. The more the league changes the more it stays the same.   

• Like (+1) 1

If you think Lamar Jackson is on the same trajectory as Russell Wilson I have to disagree. Lamar Jackson will never be the passer Wilson is. Even in Wilson’s first few seasons he could make all the throws, the team just didn’t need him too. You will see Lamar being asked to make the throws more and more, then we will see who is right about this debate. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

The dude/Ravens is/are 21-4 in games, including 6-1 as a rookie.  That's remarkable.  I watched the montage of his TD throws someone else posted here and it does show him using the whole field.  In my mind, he will have a superbowl before long.  He is greatly aided by a team that drafts well, attracts primo free agents, has a stout defense year-in, year out, an all-world kicker, a coach who rarely sees a fourth down play that he doesn't want to go for, a special teams unit that consistently excels and a really good secondary that can play man-to-man.  

Edited by wjag
context
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, wjag said:

The dude/Ravens is/are 21-4 in games, including 6-1 as a rookie.  That's remarkable.  I watched the montage of his TD throws someone else posted here and it does show him using the whole field.  In my mind, he will have a superbowl before long.  He is greatly aided by a team that drafts well, attracts primo free agents, has a stout defense year-in, year out, an all-world kicker, a coach who rarely sees a fourth down play that he doesn't want to go for, a special teams unit that consistently excels and a really good secondary that can play man-to-man.  

How many were by blown coverage to wide open players? 

How many times does he thread the needle?

25 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I havnt clicked into this thread until now. But the one thing i was sure of is that i would immediately be able to spot some ridiculous cherry picked stats from a certain poster while he made ridiculous comparisons to our old qb.

..... NAILED IT.

Love you too  

BUT 

If you take the time to read the pages..  

Many are in agreement with the OP and my posts ... we are NOT alone. 

Again.....  you take the straw man argument 

LJ is talented.    He is not an elite passing QB. 

7 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said: